Harry Potter for grandson (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery

Janice -> Harry Potter for grandson (5/17/2017 2:13:11 PM)

My 8 yo grandson was over the moon with the 9 3/4 HP embroidered shirt I sent him. Just yesterday I sent off a package with a shorts set and a bad-boy black sleeveless tee. It shows a Marauder's Map with glow-in-the-dark foot prints. The designs were found on Etsy and so far I've been pleased with the way they stitch out. I LOVE stitching things that make him so happy! Mind you, I'd rather be sewing batiste and lace or smocking. It's hard to find things to make older boys smile, but these shirts have done the trick. The designs were found on Etsy and so far I've been pleased with the way they stitch out. It's hard to find things to make older boys smile, but these shirts have done the trick. More photos, details and tips for working with glow thread are posted on my blog janicefergusonsews.com

[image]local://814/200CA4C33FC34C80A7F1308142C6E77B.jpg[/image]

caaguirre -> RE: Harry Potter for grandson (5/17/2017 3:24:39 PM)

Fantastic job! As the grandmother of teens and older boys, I would encourage you in doing all the sewing you can for him. In my experience, the time comes all too soon when they're no longer interested in Granny's sewing. Do you have tips for embroidering on knits?

Janice -> RE: Harry Potter for grandson (5/17/2017 3:38:26 PM)

Thanks, Carol! I've always heavily basted knits to hooped cutaway stabilizer but it is always stiff--flat but stiff. This large-ish design would have made the shirt so stiff. So I tried something new and was very pleased with the results. I ironed on a lightweight fusible knit stabilizer with the stretch going the opposite direction from the stretch on the knit. Then I ironed on another layer of that same fusible, with the stretch going the other way. The shirt is flat and soft! I did pull up the excess stabilizer and trim about 1/2" from the embroidery. I think that will be my new plan. I hope this is helpful.

DDinDFW -> RE: Harry Potter for grandson (5/17/2017 5:04:08 PM)

Oh my boys would have loved that when they were younger!

Pat C. -> RE: Harry Potter for grandson (5/18/2017 10:21:42 AM)

Janice, What a great shirt. Love it!!

KarenVA -> RE: Harry Potter for grandson (5/19/2017 6:57:18 PM)

Very cool!! I always look forward to your creations!!!

caaguirre -> RE: Harry Potter for grandson (5/19/2017 10:57:06 PM)

It is helpful, thank you!

mari -> RE: Harry Potter for grandson (5/23/2017 10:15:58 AM)

We love it when grandsons like some stitching. This is so cute !

Nananeva -> RE: Harry Potter for grandson (5/23/2017 11:15:22 AM)

This is wonderful! I wish my younger grandson was into Harry Potter. My 7 yr old grandson thinks of only Spiderman and Batman.... Oh yes, and video games...[8|][8|][8|]

Page: [1]

© 2017 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy