STUFFIE (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery

Penny Hal -> STUFFIE (1/9/2018 1:48:59 PM)

My stuffie

Penny Hal -> RE: STUFFIE (1/9/2018 1:51:18 PM)

Ok. That didn't work. Made my first stuffie. I definitely will need to have a stuffie party to help out. Took a lot longer than I expected. The stitchout was a snap, but removing stabilizer, trimming, turning stuffing, closing took a long time.

Linda S. -> RE: STUFFIE (1/9/2018 4:20:17 PM)

Probably a dumb question, but what is a "stuffie"? I thought surely it was a typo. Now
you've got my curiosity going LOL!

Penny Hal -> RE: STUFFIE (1/10/2018 12:55:34 PM)

They are just small stuffed toys that are done in-the-hoop. You can stitch them in different shapes. Some call them Softies. You can search for stuffies to see exampes since I can't figure out how to put a photo on here. Used to be able to, but now that I can't use PhotoBucket I have to figure out a new way to do that. I didn't know that they were called this either at first. Then I had a hard time telling felties from stuffies! Live and learn I guess.

Here's a link to the one I'm making. Instead of a bow tie, I'm putting a heart on its tummy.

Linda S. -> RE: STUFFIE (1/10/2018 1:24:03 PM)

Penny these are just darling! And you've done such a good job making
them too. I love the heart too, but the tie is also very sweet. Thanks
for enlightening me as to the name : ).

Shirley would be able to help you with posting pictures...sorry, I don't know
how to do it either lol! On rare occasion I post links but that's the best I
can do. You could PM Shirley, or start a new post calling it to her

Belinda -> RE: STUFFIE (1/10/2018 8:07:36 PM)

Those bears are precious and I know the ones you stitched out are also!

vjm -> RE: STUFFIE (1/12/2018 10:39:48 AM)

Thanks for the link. I do not have little kids or grandkids so I never paid much attention to stuffed animals in the hoop. However, I did take a look and had fun viewing all the cute stuffed animal designs. I fell in love with the otter. Hope you can post pictures of the bears. I bet they are adorable.

Penny Hal -> RE: STUFFIE (1/12/2018 1:26:03 PM)

I never paid attention to stuffies either until I heard the idea of making them for police/firemen to have around to give to scared kids.

vjm -> RE: STUFFIE (1/12/2018 3:04:07 PM)

That is a nice idea and thoughtful gesture.

aussie -> RE: STUFFIE (1/12/2018 3:13:45 PM)

That little bear is just adorable. Would be just the thing to put with a pair of sleepers for baby. Glad you mentioned that site. Cute stuff.

Carol NW Ohio

tricia.heller -> RE: STUFFIE (1/26/2018 3:19:30 PM)

Penny, I though this little bear was so cute and I sew stuffies for pd and fire so I bit the dust and paid $10 for it. Just stitched it and am SO disappointed. I made the one for 8x8 hoop (200x200) and when I turned it right side out, most of the stitching of the back to the front came apart!! It evidently is not digitized well enough for turning it inside out. Am going to write to designer. Will try the very largest size but am SOOOO disappointed!!!

tricia.heller -> RE: STUFFIE (1/26/2018 8:12:16 PM)

okay update. I wrote Ginger and boy did she reply fast!!!! It was mostly my error, I had trimmed too closely so I did the larger size and left a larger trimming edge. That problem fixed. The only other problem I had (and quite possibly/probably my error too) is when the design makes a 90 degree or more turn (at the neck and between the legs) I get a "pleat" effect. Covered the neck one up with ribbon and had use curly minkie for the circle on tummy so just pulled it down between legs!!! I did ask Ginger if there was so fix to this and will let you know if anyone is interested.

Penny Hal -> RE: STUFFIE (1/27/2018 12:39:31 PM)

Good for you for sticking with it and getting the problems resolved!

Yes, those sharp angles can make a little pleat. I trim more closely in those areas... about an inch... on each side of the angle so that the remaining fabric doesn't get bunched up. I use fleece and the stitching holds up well even when I cut so closely to the thread. It never lies perfectly flat for me, but once I stuff them the wrinkle flattens out and puffs out so it no longer has a wrinkle there. I also use the same color thread as the fabric for the outlines. That way I don't see the stitching thread on the finished product.

I'm glad you got your problem solved and yes, I'd like to hear what she has to say.

ShirleyCalgary -> RE: STUFFIE (1/28/2018 9:48:01 AM)

Most projects tell you to trim close but not cut the stitches on sharp angles like corners I cut straight across / to remove bulk it is also hard to serge inseam with sharp /\

Penny Hal -> RE: STUFFIE (2/2/2018 12:04:07 PM)

I cut straight into the V up to the threads. Then I carefully trim the sides of the V so that at the point area there is hardly any fabric. This makes it a lot easier to turn out. If I don't get it trimmed very well, the wrinkle that appears on the outside will be smoothed out when it gets stuffed. It is especcialy hard to get the area between the legs, but as long as I trim the execss fabric away it is fine. I use fleece so the stitches really hold the fabric.

tricia.heller -> RE: STUFFIE (2/2/2018 1:04:55 PM)

It looks like from the pic she sent me that she used "pinking shears" type of cut all of the way around. A large V cut all of the way around. Then cuts to the line of stitching between the legs on the teddy bear. She is so nice!!

Got the whale too, Best to use the largest size you can. BC getting the whale tale turned is really hard and stuffing is no easy job either. I ended up using a stitch ripper to stuff the tail!! It caught to poly fill and moved it easier. Ginger is no nice to correspond with and I hope she comes out with a lamb/sheep soon!

tricia.heller -> RE: STUFFIE (2/2/2018 1:05:25 PM)

BTW, does anyone have any other sites for Stuffies????

gillie -> RE: STUFFIE (2/2/2018 6:46:24 PM) The second one is having a sale just now, 40% off. No code it takes it off at checkout. I don't like the fact that so many of these sites have copyrighted material but some nice stuffies.

sewsusan -> RE: STUFFIE (2/4/2018 9:51:50 AM)

So cute! these would make great shower/baby gifts or they could be attached to a blanket for a "go to grandma's" outing.

Penny Hal -> RE: STUFFIE (2/4/2018 2:12:12 PM)

There are more out there, but did not appeal to me, especially if they could not be made entirely ITH.

STITCH DELIGHT teddy bears

ETSY dog and cat

This is my favorite one

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy