My first bag/purse! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Home Decor & Crafts

Grammie -> My first bag/purse! (4/7/2018 3:39:49 PM)

I have never before even tried to make a canvas bag - but my dear granddaughter needed one, so I tried! Multiple problems with this pattern but it is as good as I can make it. Next one will be with a different pattern! This one is Butterick "See & Sew" #B4271.

[image]local://205/A3AB1186365A40BFA5B43E50DD8EF490.jpg[/image]

MoDo -> RE: My first bag/purse! (4/7/2018 5:11:13 PM)

Looks very nice, Grammie! Your DGD is sure to like it!

Fancy Stitches -> RE: My first bag/purse! (4/7/2018 5:16:55 PM)

How cute is that!! I know she loves it.

Barbara

caaguirre -> RE: My first bag/purse! (4/7/2018 8:15:21 PM)

Well the pattern might be a dud, but the bag sure isn't, that is the cutest style! Love the fabrics too, that floral is so sweet.

Grammie -> RE: My first bag/purse! (4/8/2018 10:18:55 AM)

Thank you all...does anyone have a suggestion for an easier purse/bag? This one did a strange thing with a zipper!

KarenVA -> RE: My first bag/purse! (4/8/2018 11:03:22 AM)

Your granddaughter will love her bag from you!!

If you want some nice patterns, By Annie has really good ones:

http://www.byannie.com/patterns/purses-and-bags

Also, Atkinson Designs:

http://www.atkinsondesigns.com/

And, Sew4Home:

https://sew4home.com/projects/storage-solutions

Grammie -> RE: My first bag/purse! (4/8/2018 11:18:47 AM)

Thanks, Karen...I think I'll try one of Annie's!

caaguirre -> RE: My first bag/purse! (4/8/2018 10:27:43 PM)

I've had success with Lazy Girl designs bag patterns. https://www.lazygirldesigns.com/ You can find her patterns for sale in lots of places.

NancySean -> RE: My first bag/purse! (4/9/2018 5:39:30 AM)

You have design it very well. Your granddaughter will love it. I would to sew it for myself.

Linda S. -> RE: My first bag/purse! (4/10/2018 1:56:31 AM)

This is so cute! Your granddaughter is going to flip when she sees it : )

I wish I could find more nice purse patterns. The simplest ones seem to be the
hardest to find...like the ones we most often see in retail. Yours is a winner!

mizzlilly -> RE: My first bag/purse! (4/11/2018 11:41:49 AM)

Lovely! Looks perfect and the fabrics are so pretty and perfect together. I’ll second the Lazy Girl suggestion. Clever, well designed patterns.

gillie -> RE: My first bag/purse! (4/11/2018 7:37:30 PM)

I like Lazy Girl bags too. I purchased one of her classes on Crafty but when Crafty changed hands, they dropped her classes. She does have a Facebook group that is very helpful and she is very active on it.

ShirleyCalgary -> RE: My first bag/purse! (4/28/2018 9:49:39 PM)

Love the fabric - is that canvas??? sure does not look like my canvas bags I made years ago using a painters drop sheet oh my no problem with the construction because I just winged it but the embroidery..... NIGHTMARE had to stop and go buy microtex needles could not get 300 stitches without a jam... thread nests broken needle broken thread wonder if I kept that canvas... want to make bags.

Grammie -> RE: My first bag/purse! (4/29/2018 7:28:40 AM)

SHsirley...it is simple decorator's fabric from JoAnn's...meant for drapery or upholstery.

caaguirre -> RE: My first bag/purse! (4/29/2018 1:18:16 PM)

Shirley, I used a size 206x13 needle to sew an apron from canvas. My dealer recommended and sold them to me after I told him about the canvas. Those needles sew through any very thick or heavy fabric like butter.

ShirleyCalgary -> RE: My first bag/purse! (5/10/2018 7:54:28 PM)

Carol the sewing was not the not the problem it was embroidering 3 cats playing instruments... very dense...especially the piano keyboard

caaguirre -> RE: My first bag/purse! (5/11/2018 9:43:01 PM)

Oops, I didn't read your post carefully enough. What kind of needle did you finally end up with? I want to embroider a dense design on some duck cloth for a book bag.

Page: [1]

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy