Sticky stabilizers (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery

Suelange -> Sticky stabilizers (5/16/2018 3:41:07 PM)

I have read you need to keep cleaning your needle with alcohol when using sticky stabilizers. Is there a problem with gunk getting down into the bobbin housing? I don't want to mess up my machine...

Penny Hal -> RE: Sticky stabilizers (5/16/2018 4:28:39 PM)

I think that may depend on your machine and how it handles the thread and needle. I have never heard of this problem, but if someone is reporting that that happened, I'd contact the shop where you bought the machine and ask them if their machines have that problem. I've had no problem with my Bernina, but have used sticky with my Babylock yet.

I do know that needles can gum up due to a variety of factor,s and I've had that happen. But going down into the housing did not happen.

Nananeva -> RE: Sticky stabilizers (5/16/2018 6:01:28 PM)

If you use 505 temporary adhesive spray - or other brands - it can cause sticky buildup on the needle. I personally know using adhesive spray on Water Soluble Stabilizer causes a problem. The stabilizer doesn't wash away. It becomes a gooey mess when put in water to dissolve. The purchased sticky washaway is fine.

ShirleyCalgary -> RE: Sticky stabilizers (5/16/2018 9:54:50 PM)

Never a problem in the bobbin area but I have had boogers on my needle - I get a piece of diaper flannel type fabric and soak with alcohol and about every 3-4hundred stitches I stop and wipe the needle... I would never use spray adhesive and sticky stabilizer.. you get gummed up needles even when you use double sides sticky wash away tape like to hold trim and zippers in place...

Penny Hal -> RE: Sticky stabilizers (5/17/2018 12:55:28 PM)

I've used a ton of Quilting Basting temporary spray on wss with no problem. I'm not sure if wss is all made by the same factory or not, but I buy it in 50yd rolls and go through about 100yds a year. I do let the spray dry a little before using the stabilizer. I've been doing a lot of fsl this month using 2 layers of wss with spray glue on one sheet only to hold them together on my Bernina with no problem.

If you are concerned about your particular machine, I'd certainly contact the shop where you bought it and ask if that is a problem they've seen.

Nananeva -> RE: Sticky stabilizers (5/17/2018 5:32:50 PM)

I have been doing cutaway embroidery on pillowcases recently. I have used WSS, hooping it and the fabric together without spray adhesive. That worked really well. It was reasonably easy to trim the holes in the fabric (not the stabilizer) and then finish the embroidery. Also used the sticky WSS, which is kinda nice, yet also a problem. It is SO sticky it is hard to cut the holes without snagging and cutting the stabilizer. (Very sharp needle-pointed curved scissors!) The sticky stabilizer was more difficult to wash away. It seemed to be twice the thickness of my other WSS. [8|][8|][8|]

ShirleyCalgary -> RE: Sticky stabilizers (5/18/2018 12:25:44 PM)

Neva Walmarts here and our fabric store sell H2gone well WM no longer all we have are packages of fabric no more cutting table we became a superstore sort of... no bakery no deli but everything else.... So try and see if you can find H2gone I buy it when it is 50% off... hot water and it is gone and that is what I use to make my spray starch ... it is basically like Floriani wet and gone which also dissolves in hot water

Penny Hal -> RE: Sticky stabilizers (5/18/2018 12:36:07 PM)

Shirley, I can't find H2gone anywhere online. I never heard of it before. I've taken to pinning everything to the stabilzer except for FSL which I do use wss.

caaguirre -> RE: Sticky stabilizers (5/21/2018 11:04:31 PM)

I've used lots of sticky and KK-2000 temporary adhesive spray and never had a problem with either of them. My needles never got gunky either. I have an old Janome.

Penny Hal -> RE: Sticky stabilizers (5/22/2018 12:56:15 PM)

After reading all of our posts, I think that what works for us is what combination of sewing machine, and thread, and stabizer, and that works for some, but not for all. I found what works for my machine by trial and error. And, my different machines have different "personalities."

I have never heard of the glue actually getting down in the housing.

Linda S. -> RE: Sticky stabilizers (5/22/2018 2:23:28 PM)

I've never had a problem with self-adhesive stabilizers gumming up my machine, and I look
and clean often. Seems to me one would see it building up on the needle, before it got down
into the machine....since it is the needle that would carry it down into there.

I have tried using self-adhesive hook and look tape, and THAT was a disaster. Talk about
gumming up everything! Besides that, it really doesn't hold very well.

If you're concerned about the glue, you could use the kind that adheres like the sticker part
on an envelope. You apply a little water, and that makes it stick (no "gum" there).

Depending on what you're stabilizing, you may not need an adhesive at all. When I'm stabilizing
a straight seam in a garment, and I want to make sure it doesn't pucker, I use plain old
newsprint paper, cut in strips. Works great, and tears away so clean there are no bits left
behind. It only comes in a manila color, that I've found....and of course if you have any
zig-zag stitching it would stay under that (can't remove).

You can also tack down non-adhesive stabilizer with a bit of fabric glue...or elmers glue, Or,
don't tack it down at all. That works too.

ShirleyCalgary -> RE: Sticky stabilizers (5/22/2018 3:45:18 PM)

The trouble with using sticky stabilizer is..... embroidery machine stitches at 600-800 stitches per minute unlike when you are just sewing.... you cant see the build up... but if you know that it is going to happen stop every 300 stitches wipe the stickum off the needle with alcohol wet flannel... some stabilizers are worse than others. and it does not go into the bobbin area

Page: [1]

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy