Edge to edge quilting (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Quilting

KarenVA -> Edge to edge quilting (9/21/2018 9:12:51 AM)

I just got the book and first designs for Amelie Scott's edge to edge quilting in the hoop. I'm anxious to try it on a Christmas table topper I'm making. Has anyone used this and do you have any tips and tricks to share?

https://www.shop.ameliescott.com/Edge-to-Edge-Quilting_c15.htm

caaguirre -> RE: Edge to edge quilting (9/21/2018 5:19:01 PM)

I wish I had a larger hoop so I could give this a try too. Let us know how it works out for you, I have several designs such as these but would like some instruction on exactly how to do this. Maybe the book will be available sometime by itself. What fun!

KarenVA -> RE: Edge to edge quilting (10/11/2018 8:48:57 AM)

Carol--I finally got brave and started doing the star edge-to-edge design on a Christmas panel. I'm using the 5 X 9 small designs--and I used my software to reduce them by 20% so they are 4 3/4 X 8 1/2 (she says not to do that, but the design was a smidge taller than my midi-hoop) and the designs are stitching out perfectly!! I'm so happy I tried this!!

This is the backside--so you can see the quilting better. There is a "join" of designs on the right bottom corner between the green angels--do you see it?

[image]local://12/6C01C9C4816A47369FABADCCBE93FB6B.jpg[/image]

KarenVA -> RE: Edge to edge quilting (10/11/2018 10:55:24 AM)

The book helps with calculating how many hoopings you need to plan. My small quilt is done with eight columns of five hoopings for each column--based on my design size. It would be less with bigger hoops. The designs have a start and stop. You stitch out one column at a time with design A, then do the next column with design B (which is really just design A flipped upside down). I printed each design (which has my hoop markings and grid also) on sticky template paper. I put the template on the fabric where I want the design--lining up the end of the previous design with the start point of the next design--and hoop it. When I get to my machine, I can finesse the start point to match perfectly--then just sew out the design. It has a rhythm of its own and goes fast. The end result looks like I did it with a longarm machine. I did have to turn off auto knotting and thread cutting--so I could leave longer thread tails to hand knot and hide the tails inside the quilt--then you don't see the knots.

[image]local://12/1DEA1BD2CE904452A9BE24FB399BE623.jpg[/image]

KarenVA -> RE: Edge to edge quilting (10/11/2018 10:55:52 AM)

And the hooping:

[image]local://12/F6C7A475FC1E4AC88BEF2CB1D36D0462.jpg[/image]

ShirleyCalgary -> RE: Edge to edge quilting (10/11/2018 12:26:07 PM)

Love the fabric - could we see what the front looks like???

caaguirre -> RE: Edge to edge quilting (10/11/2018 12:51:58 PM)

It looks great and I can't see the join at all! Thanks so much for the explanation, as I said, I have some designs such as these but have never really seen directions on the best way to do this. I'm going to save your instructions for future reference. OBTW how did your pinecones turn out? I'm seeing those in so many advertising vignettes for Fall and Christmas.

Page: [1]

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy