Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

How to cut bishop dress?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Patterns, Fabrics & Notions >> How to cut bishop dress? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to cut bishop dress? - 4/23/2016 4:01:27 AM   
vivian

Dear my friends,

I just learnt smocking and started to make dress for my daughter. But i don't know how to cut bishop dress, especially, the bishop collar.
Please show me how to cut bishop collar. Thanks a lot.
Post #: 1
RE: How to cut bishop dress? - 4/23/2016 7:36:17 AM   
gillie

Welcome, Vivian. I have never used a collar on any of the bishops I have made. I will take a look at some of the patterns I have and see what I can find.

Gillie

(in reply to vivian)
Post #: 2
RE: How to cut bishop dress? - 4/23/2016 11:35:53 AM   
gillie

Do you mean a collar, it would hide a lot of the smocking or are you meaning the neck band?

Gillie

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 3
RE: How to cut bishop dress? - 4/23/2016 11:50:22 AM   
gillie

http://maggiebsmocks.typepad.com/smocking/the-bishop-dress-from-start-to-finish.html This might be of help to you.

Gillie

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 4
RE: How to cut bishop dress? - 4/25/2016 12:02:54 PM   
vpenner

Slightly off-topic, but if you scroll down, you'll see a bishop dress with a Peter Pan collar--so, so cute and you wouldn't necessarily think of making a bishop with that type of collar. http://www.peanutbutter-n-jellykids.com/shop/October.htm Yes, yes, I know they used the Ellen McCarn Bishop pattern and I've heard so many negative comments about the huge, puffy sleeves (enough, already!), but you could use any bishop pattern you want.

< Message edited by vpenner -- 4/25/2016 12:05:11 PM >

Mother to James (38), Sarah (35), Aaron (34), Adam (31) and David (28)

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 5
RE: How to cut bishop dress? - 4/26/2016 10:30:12 AM   
Linda S.

Such eye candy! Sorry I can't help with the bishop question, but would love to have
a pattern for a raglan sleeve gown. There are some darling ones on this page Vpenner
shared.

I see many raglan sleeve patterns for smocking, but not just plain (gathers rather than smocking).
She used one from the book 'Daygowns Book IV' by Nancy Colburn and I'll wait to see if I can find
it for a little less than what it's selling for now.

I love raglan sleeve patterns because I don't have to worry so much about fit. The shoulders always
"fit" if it's raglan sleeves. As long as the sleeve length is pretty good, they fit well and for longer
than set-in sleeve patterns.

< Message edited by Linda S. -- 4/26/2016 10:32:40 AM >

(in reply to vpenner)
Post #: 6
RE: How to cut bishop dress? - 4/29/2016 9:50:55 AM   
KathyD

The MP book "Joy of Smocking" has a raglan sleeve nightgown with smocking in the center. By changing the back ties to a placket/button back, you could use this as a dress. It comes in sizes 6 mo. - 12, so a great value for the $$$.

KathyD
http://sewing-adventures.com

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 7
RE: How to cut bishop dress? - 4/29/2016 10:29:14 AM   
Linda S.

Kathy D., Thanks for your reply. Do you (or someone else maybe) know if one can just
use the pattern that calls for smocking and replace the smocking with gathers? Is this
what you're saying? Does one guess how much to gather it where the smocking is supposed
to go?

It's been so long since I've used a smocking pattern I don't remember. And I don't think
I even have any of my old patterns I used with smocking, for my daughter. I do have
'The Joy of Smocking' though....thinking I'd start smocking again some day. Of course
I haven't done any....my ambitions are always bigger than available time.

(in reply to KathyD)
Post #: 8
RE: How to cut bishop dress? - 5/1/2016 5:16:51 PM   
KathyD

Linda - I thought you were looking for a pattern that had just a small amount of smocking in the front, but was a bishop style. The MP book would fit that description. If you skip the smocking, it will be rather full (my opinion) at the neckband. I think you need the smocking to tame those gathers, or otherwise you'd need to reduce some of the fullness.

KathyD
http://sewing-adventures.com

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 9
RE: How to cut bishop dress? - 1/24/2019 10:07:47 AM   
Mamaw3and2

I have looked all over trying to find a pattern for a 0-6 months bishop pattern. I have smocked quite a few items, but all have been done with a smocked insert. Where does one find a pattern for a smocked bishop's dress?? Thanks for any help!!!!

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 10
RE: How to cut bishop dress? - 1/24/2019 3:36:03 PM   
Fancy Stitches

Mamaw3and2, Try Childrens Corner. https://www.childrenscornerstore.com/collections/patterns/childrens-corner-patterns I suggest "Bishop" which is available in the size range you are seeking. Also "Missy's Daygown" and even "Jamie" which is a bubble that could easily become a dress. Also https://www.oldfashionedbaby.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=10 has smocked bishops in small sizes. HTH

Barbara

(in reply to Mamaw3and2)
Post #: 11
RE: How to cut bishop dress? - 1/24/2019 3:48:03 PM   
Mamaw3and2

Thank you Barbara!! I'll look them up! I guess I don't know how to find things!! Every time I looked for directions to make the actual Bishop, all I could find were directions on how to assemble or smock once assembled!! No actual pattern for the dress! I love the idea of a bubble as well!! I made all of my children bubble suits when they were babies, sometimes embroidered. It would be fun to make one with smocking!💖

(in reply to Fancy Stitches)
Post #: 12
RE: How to cut bishop dress? - 1/24/2019 5:08:12 PM   
caaguirre

Welcome to the forum, hope you'll visit often. There are so many knowledgeable people here who can help with almost any problem, thanks for joining in.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Mamaw3and2)
Post #: 13
RE: How to cut bishop dress? - 1/24/2019 8:38:13 PM   
Mamaw3and2

Thank you Carol! If only I had found this forum a week ago! My eyes were dizzy trying to find a pattern! I found two that I am going to order now, and another I'll order in a few months!! I haven't had anyone to do any smocking for, for 10 years! I have several smocking plates from earlier projects, but am anxious to get going on this Bishop! I'm sure I'll be back with questions, haha!! 👍

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 14
RE: How to cut bishop dress? - 1/25/2019 10:11:20 AM   
ShirleyCalgary

Welcome to the forum MAWMAW (Debbie) we always welcome new members especially the bona fide ones 99% of new members come here to spam us so expect to find lots of help for true sewing members from all of us who have been trying for 20 years to keep this forum active

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to Mamaw3and2)
Post #: 15
RE: How to cut bishop dress? - 1/25/2019 12:38:01 PM   
Mamaw3and2

Hi Shirley!
Thanks for the welcome! I don't know how people spam..? I can assure you I do sew, and have for almost 60 years.😊. I'm looking forward to getting my patterns and getting started. If i have any questions I will definitely be asking on this forum! When and if I do, should I start a new thread or just continue asking here?
Thanks,
Debbie

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 16
RE: How to cut bishop dress? - 1/25/2019 3:09:51 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

Debbie if you have questions ........ just a hint - mark it OT and ask over on the machine embroidery section it gets more traffic and someone will reply a lot quicker...
I am so tired of taking down half a dozen spam posts.... same people... wanna buy a Nike runner - interested in hockey jerseys .... RSGold ..... and posts offering to write school reports - WHAT????? likely the average age of most of us is 60+....
I learned to hand embroider and sew and knit when I was 5 - then added crochet to that..... then machine embroidery --- no little girls to smock for so I am making for the next generation.... incase I go blind or can no longer knit.... hope chests for each of the girls... the youngest girl is just starting highschool so I have plenty of time..

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to Mamaw3and2)
Post #: 17
RE: How to cut bishop dress? - 1/25/2019 3:48:49 PM   
Mamaw3and2

Thanks Shirley. I already have a question when you say Mark it OT, which I assume means old topic (?), do I just start the conversation with the OT? I don't see anywhere to mark OT. Also, do I ask on the machine embroidery section even if it's not a machine embroidery question. I don't embroider by machine...? I'm almost 69 and like you started young. Sewing aprons, by the time I was 16 I was sewing for cousins.😊 My grandma taught me crochet and I taught myself tatting. I've always done handwork, the smocking that I've done to date has all been handworked. Even the gathering of a million dots to make the pleats. At least it seemed like a million dots! Haha. I order the transfer, iron to the fabric, then start gathering! It's been 10 years since I've had a little one to smock for, a new granddaughter coming in a few weeks!😍😘👶 Again, thank you for your help!!

Post #: 18
RE: How to cut bishop dress? - 1/25/2019 8:43:53 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

OFF TOPIC in area where you asked your how to cut bishop dress.... so even if you want to ask which of the current washers have a soak cycle that is ok...
so you could have asked in embroidery OT How do I cut bishop dress
I too did smocking with dogs...... made a dress for myself - it wasn't really smocking but using dots I made a honey comb thing on the bodice of a sheath dress...

(in reply to Mamaw3and2)
Post #: 19
RE: How to cut bishop dress? - 1/25/2019 8:47:06 PM   
Mamaw3and2

👍 Thanks!!

Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Patterns, Fabrics & Notions >> How to cut bishop dress? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2019 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy