Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Finally a good book to recommend

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Miscellaneous] >> Favorite Books >> Finally a good book to recommend Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Finally a good book to recommend - 12/30/2016 10:31:50 AM   
Pat C.

Looking For Me by Beth Hoffman. This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. No sex, smut or violence. Takes place in KY and Charleston. Her dream to be a furniture restorer and family stories also.
Post #: 1
RE: Finally a good book to recommend - 12/30/2016 4:12:06 PM   
DDinDFW

I don't know if I am pickier about books, or what I keep getting are just not that great. I'll put this on my list of books to read. Thanks for the recommendation.

Dana, mom of two young men

(in reply to Pat C.)
Post #: 2
RE: Finally a good book to recommend - 12/31/2016 11:04:52 AM   
JudyPNW

Yes, thank you.
I try to give books 50 pages, and lately I haven't found anything to recommend.

(in reply to DDinDFW)
Post #: 3
RE: Finally a good book to recommend - 12/31/2016 12:19:56 PM   
vpenner

I read one recently--The Coincidence of Coconut Cake by Amy E. Reichert--no sex and no crude language (at least that I remember, but I can let a MILD expletive or two go) and a story I couldn't put down. It's about a chef who, on an atypical really bad day, receives a bad review for her new restaurant from a nasty restaurant critic and the damage it causes to her business. She and the critic later meet and fall in love. And I'll let you read the rest. Oh, and the recipe for the author's grandmother's coconut cake is included, and it's to die for (I have a son who hates coconut, and he said the recipe is a keeper).

Mother to James (37), Sarah (34), Aaron (33), Adam (29) and David (27)

(in reply to JudyPNW)
Post #: 4
RE: Finally a good book to recommend - 1/1/2017 6:57:40 AM   
cnagle957

Pat,

Thank you for that recommendation! I purchased the book and read the whole thing yesterday. Couldn't put it down.

Thanks again,
Chris

(in reply to Pat C.)
Post #: 5
RE: Finally a good book to recommend - 1/2/2017 7:55:16 PM   
Mimi3

I found a gem in our library's new book section: The Kitchen Counter Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn. It's a delightful read, regardless of your interest or skill in the kitchen. It's educational although it's not a cookbook. Mostly it's inspiring and interesting to follow the development of the cooking students as well as the author/instructor.

Mimi3

(in reply to cnagle957)
Post #: 6
RE: Finally a good book to recommend - 1/3/2017 7:56:08 PM   
Pat C.

Chris, I felt the same way about that book. Was able to get her other one for my Kindle from the library. Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman. I read those 2 books in a week. They're completely different stories so doesn't matter what sequence. As far as I know, they're the only 2 she's written.

(in reply to Mimi3)
Post #: 7
RE: Finally a good book to recommend - 1/13/2017 11:45:28 PM   
JudyPNW

I got Looking for Me and will start on it tomorrow. I hope I don't get too involved as I also wanted to start a Valentine runner!

(in reply to Pat C.)
Post #: 8
RE: Finally a good book to recommend - 1/14/2017 11:14:53 AM   
MoDo

I'm reading "John Adams" by David McCullough. It's a Pulitzer-Prize winning biography of John Adams, the man who became the second president of the United States. I'm not up to the Revolutionary War yet, but so far it's a splendid story of his youth, marriage to Abigail, and how he came to be in the delegation to Philadelphia.

This falls on the tail of my reading "Washington: A Life" by Ron Chernow, which lays bare the life of George Washington in all his faults and failings, yet how he became the most important man of the Revolutionary War and, perhaps, of the United States itself.

I heartily recommend both books!

(in reply to JudyPNW)
Post #: 9
RE: Finally a good book to recommend - 1/14/2017 2:28:33 PM   
caaguirre

How did I miss all of these posts? Thank you so much for the recommendations, I'm always on the lookout for something good (and clean) to read. Modo, I've read that John Adams book twice now and know I'll read it again. It's one of my all-time favorites. I'll add the Washington one to my list. There are so many biographies of the founding fathers it's hard to know which one to choose. For anyone who likes American history, Founding Brothers by Joseph Ellis is very good. He takes an in-depth look at various historical events which took place during America's earliest days.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 10
RE: Finally a good book to recommend - 1/14/2017 10:00:45 PM   
MoDo

Thanks, Carol! I will look for "Founding Brothers" as soon as I finish with "John Adams" .

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 11
RE: Finally a good book to recommend - 1/16/2017 1:48:53 PM   
Linda S.

I've just finished reading several books by Franklin Graham....and WOWZERS! I've never
read a book that offered so much inspiration to get out there and do the work God has
called each of us to do.

Franklin's autobiography (Rebel With a Cause) reads like a modern day fiction thriller! That
guy is fearless, and goes to the most dangerous places on earth, to help people such as the
poor refugees caught in the cross-fires of war, victims of natural disasters, or wherever there
is a need.

I sat spell bound reading his auto-biography, and 'Living Beyond the Limits'. Also 'This
One Thing I Do', about Bob Pierce's life in service of the Lord. Truly amazing, full of miracles,
and I am super-charged with inspiration! Take a look at the book list on the 'Samaritan's
Purse' website. (Proceeds go to help the poor and spread God's word)

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 12
RE: Finally a good book to recommend - 1/16/2017 1:55:51 PM   
caaguirre

My list is growing and growing, thanks Linda.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 13
RE: Finally a good book to recommend - 1/16/2017 6:57:51 PM   
Linda S.

Just when I was wondering what to read next! I'm so glad to hear these suggestions, because
sometimes we can't choose a "book by it's cover" (lol...pun intended ; ). I love reading a book
I can't seem to put down.

So thank you everyone who shared their new favorites!

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 14
RE: Finally a good book to recommend - 1/17/2017 10:54:52 AM   
Linda S.

MoDo and Carol, I found a used 'John Adams' on ebay for $5 and some change, and am
looking forward to having something new and good to read. Winter can sure drag on without
a good book!

Now I have a whole list of them, thanks to this thread.

Dana, I have the same problem finding an interesting book that doesn't contain bad language
or other objectionable content. And I don't like to invest reading time, only to find a fictional
story has a terribly sad ending! Same with movies. I'll never understand why people who
write fiction do that...they could pick any ending they can dream up. I once spent the better
part of a week, watching 'Thornbirds' on public television. It's a fairly long movie, and was
shown in parts. When it came to such a sad end, I could have kicked myself for watching that
movie LOL!

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 15
RE: Finally a good book to recommend - 1/17/2017 4:00:06 PM   
caaguirre

Hope you enjoy the book, Linda. There is also a video series that was aired on tv a few years ago about John Adams. It was very good too. Here's the Amazon link but you might find it somewhere else for a cheaper price: https://www.amazon.com/John-Adams-Paul-Giamatti/dp/B000WGWQG8

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 16
RE: Finally a good book to recommend - 1/17/2017 9:31:08 PM   
DonnaSewsAgain

I appreciate the book suggestions! I haven't had much chance to read lately, but I thought I'd share a couple from past months. I could not put down Where the Wind Leads by Vinh Chung. This is an amazing and fascinating story by a young man who came to this country as a refugee with his family from Vietnam. It made me laugh and cry. I also thoroughly enjoyed For the Glory by Duncan Hamilton. If you liked the movie Chariots of Fire, this wlll fill in the gaps as it tells the real story of Eric Liddell. Touching and inspiring, and I'm not a sports fan .

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 17
RE: Finally a good book to recommend - 1/18/2017 11:24:59 AM   
MoDo

Before you search Amazon or eBay, take yourself to your local Goodwill or other thrift store; it's the first place I look for these types of books. I purchased the John Adams book for $1.99.

Linda: I read "Rebel With a Cause" many, many years ago. It is, indeed, a great read. I know I have it around here somewhere. I'll have to put it on my list to re-read.

(in reply to DonnaSewsAgain)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Miscellaneous] >> Favorite Books >> Finally a good book to recommend Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2017 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy