Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Christmas Decorations

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Miscellaneous] >> Miscellaneous Chat >> Christmas Decorations Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Christmas Decorations - 1/2/2017 12:03:49 PM   
JR

I guess the after Christmas Party has started. Today is the day I try to get down anything that looks like Christmas. So far I have the decorations off the tree, stockings down, wreaths down and now to put up everything. Which usually takes me hours. Glad Grogi is gone right now!! LOL Sure is more fun putting up than taking down!!
When do you take down your decorations?? The latest I have ever been was the last of Jan. when Katherine was a tiny baby. I visited my folks for several weeks so Grogi left everything up!!

JR
Post #: 1
RE: Christmas Decorations - 1/2/2017 1:33:43 PM   
Grammie

Mine were down on Dec. 29th...and I was ready to take them down on the 26th! I love putting Christmas up just before (if we are travelling) or after Thanksgiving, then I am tired of dusting around everything by Christmas Day. My sweet d-i-l insists all Christmas decorations MUST stay up until after 12th night. I leave her to it - she visits only right after the holiday so she & my son's family were gone on the 28th - she doesn't know I took everything down and packed it away the next day! LOL

Now if I can just stop buying ever more decorations I will be able to store what I have in the boxes designed for that purpose - I'm always interested in something after the holiday when decorations are on sale...must try harder to abstain this year.

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 4 to 24 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 14)!

(in reply to JR)
Post #: 2
RE: Christmas Decorations - 1/2/2017 3:57:45 PM   
gillie

12th night or "burning of the greens" for me. I don't put them up as early as some.

Gillie

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 3
RE: Christmas Decorations - 1/2/2017 5:33:23 PM   
Nananeva

I am doing it today. Put them up middle of December, take them down after New Years. My son Bill and grandsons will come get the tree down and put downstairs later today. I have lots of FSL lace for the tree, lots of crystal, and made some of those stuffed felt tree ornaments from Emblibrary this year. Sure wasn't in the mood for it, but all the grandkids are close by so you have to go thru the motions. Next year will be easier.

< Message edited by Nananeva -- 1/2/2017 5:34:43 PM >

Neva

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 4
RE: Christmas Decorations - 1/2/2017 6:39:04 PM   
MoDo

I haven't "decorated" for years! The only thing I ever put up was a wreath on the door, usually on Dec. 1, and left it up until Jan. 6. This year some girls from our local school came around pre-selling real evergreen wreaths, so Hubby and I decided to be civic-minded in our new town and purchased one. When it arrived early in December, I had Hubby put a hook up on the house below our front windows and we hung it there. I'm thinking now that there's a hook outside, perhaps I'll hang a wreath or some other item for each of the seasons .

(in reply to Nananeva)
Post #: 5
RE: Christmas Decorations - 1/2/2017 6:48:12 PM   
caaguirre

I haven't decorated since I got my cat and just counted it up as 8 years! I just couldn't deal with a cat in the tree all the time since he notices every single "new" thing in his world and thinks it's all for his plaything. Today I'm wishing I had decorated so maybe I'll give it a try in 2017. I put them up about 2 weeks before Christmas and take them down on New Year's Day.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 6
RE: Christmas Decorations - 1/3/2017 4:53:53 AM   
aussie

My things go up before Thanksgiving as I fix TG dinner (always) and for years I did a craft show after TG so that takes another weekend. I absolutely love Christmas and putting the items out is a real treat for me. I do the outside, lights, sled, Santa, geese and all. Getting harder to climb and hang lights but by golly I am having lights outside. 4 houses across from me have nothing and they have little kids. Looks like a tomb at night. Took down the outside stuff NY day as the weather was like spring and afraid the stakes would freeze in the ground and a lot of the plastic items would get ruined. Everything is down outside, have to do the tree inside and that is a heartbreaker to do. The tree is decorated with all the items I have been given for years and years, from people I have worked with, teachers from the high school where I worked, friends who made things for me who are no longer here, just loaded with memories. So it is very hard to take it all down and then things look so bare and dark. I do have one small tree that daughter made for me that will stay up through January when I can put my lights out for Valentines Day. I just can't withdraw cold turkey.

Carol NW Ohio

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 7
RE: Christmas Decorations - 1/3/2017 11:42:03 AM   
SewLynn

I didn't do a tree this year, and what decorations I did put up went up late (a week before Christmas) - probably because I'd been seeing decorations every day I worked in the store since Halloween! I am not going to take the time to take them down before I leave for NC, so they will be up until I get back mid-January. this seems to be par for the course for me the past 2 or 3 years.

< Message edited by SewLynn -- 1/3/2017 11:43:02 AM >

Member since 2001.

(in reply to aussie)
Post #: 8
RE: Christmas Decorations - 1/4/2017 7:45:50 PM   
DDinDFW

We always decorate for Christmas on the day after T'giving, and I'm always tired of them, so they come down 12/26.

Dana, mom of two young men

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 9
RE: Christmas Decorations - 1/4/2017 7:52:08 PM   
KarenVA

If I were fearless, I'd keep my Christmas stuff up all year!!! LOL I love everything Christmas!!

Decorations go up at Thanksgiving and usually come down after the Feast of the 3 Kings (Jan 6). We always have our annual Christmas party sometime during the 12 Days after Christmas, but we are extending it to the 13th Day of Christmas this year so we can have it on a Saturday. Our youngest DD and DSIL will be here for the party this year.

So it's still Christmastime at our house!!

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 10
RE: Christmas Decorations - 1/5/2017 9:35:45 PM   
NormaK

January 6--tomorrow I shall start. I may leave the tree (a little fake one from JoAnn's which stands in a corner) up a little longer. It is very cheerful at night. I leave my FSL snowflakes from MP IEC up until spring is near; it makes the view much prettier. I have some other FSL designs that I put up closer to spring, to add color. The outdoor wreath is in gold and white on fake evergreen, so I leave that up longer, too. I have some "winter" placemats and napkins I made that are cream/off white with subtle sparkly gold snowflakes and/or stars. They lighten up the dining room table once I remove the ecru lace table cloth. I change the color of the taper candles and/or use tealights in a cream and gold container.

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 11
RE: Christmas Decorations - 1/6/2017 5:10:05 AM   
aussie

Karen, forget the fear and do it. That is just what I am going to do. Made up my mind, my house, my stuff. I have so much Christmas stuff that I can't get it all out and it makes me sick. Remember those lighted houses, etc, that Joann's used to sell. The store was loaded with those things. Well, I think they are now in boxes in my hallway upstairs. This year not going back in the attic but I am cleaning my hallway and that will be my personal Christmas getaway all year long. I have many Santas, polar bears, children w/Santa, trains, all that stuff and why keep it in boxes? That hallway is the path to my sewing area and if anyone doesn't like it, don't look. Ha! Ha! The Christmas season just goes too fast for me.

Carol in NW Ohio

(in reply to NormaK)
Post #: 12
RE: Christmas Decorations - 1/6/2017 8:41:48 PM   
caaguirre

Hooray for all of you who refuse to relegate decorations to seasons, why not enjoy them when you like? I remember those lighted houses so well because I passed them up at the time, I couldn't afford all of the ones I wanted so I didn't buy any. My girlfriend bought some of them so I enjoyed hers.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to aussie)
Post #: 13
RE: Christmas Decorations - 1/7/2017 10:46:11 AM   
ShirleyCalgary

My tree will be undecorated today after the 12 day of Christian calendar - Christmas day is day 1 - we as kids never had a tree up until Christmas eve it was like magic we had an early supper bath and PJs and went to bed NO tree it was out on the back gallery - when we got up Christmas morning there it was all 12 feet of it taking up nearly 1/4 of the room - and the presents under the tree - and it never was taken down until 7th of January - now my grandmother organized the work crew - windows were washed - curtains taken down irish netting washed put on curtain stretchers and rehung - floors cleaned and waxed and polished - when everything was spic and span the wreaths were hung on the doors and windows - I once asked granny about it and she said the wreaths go up when we are ready for Christmas and ready to receive guests... I do the same.

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 14
RE: Christmas Decorations - 1/7/2017 12:09:18 PM   
kmroy

Shirley, I love to hear your stories. Please make a resolution this year to tell us more about your renters and what is going on in your life. I know you don't have time to sew like you use to but it is always a treat to see your post and see what is going on.

I love all the stories but hearing from Shirley always makes me smile!
Happy New Year!
Kathy

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 15
RE: Christmas Decorations - 1/8/2017 8:37:33 AM   
KarenVA

Shirley--I think you meant to say that the 1st Day of Christmas is Dec 26--because Dec 25 is Christmas, Then the 12th Day of Christmas is the Feast of the Three Kings on Jan 6. We always (as a kid growing up and now) leave our tree up till the Feast of the Three Kings--Jan 6, too.

We were supposed to have our Annual Christmas Party yesterday--we fudged and called it the 13th day of Christmas so it could be a weekend when one of our four kids would be home, too. But, we got 13" of snow and we cancelled our party to keep our friends safe at home! It's a mess--people in Virginia are not used to ANY snow--so this much really throws them for a loop!!

< Message edited by KarenVA -- 1/8/2017 8:40:30 AM >

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to kmroy)
Post #: 16
RE: Christmas Decorations - 1/8/2017 5:57:50 PM   
caaguirre

I saw the weather forecast for the southern states yesterday and couldn't believe my eyes. Sorry the party didn't work out, maybe a "Snow's End" party would be fun.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 17
RE: Christmas Decorations - 1/9/2017 9:02:47 AM   
Ms Rose

I did it the day after Christmas. I just felt this overwhelming panic to get it done. God works in mysterious ways, is all I can say.

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Miscellaneous] >> Miscellaneous Chat >> Christmas Decorations Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2017 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy