Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Ultra Suede for piping.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> Ultra Suede for piping. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ultra Suede for piping. - 2/16/2017 7:40:18 PM   
gillie

I'm wanting to pipe a pillow with cording covered in ultra suede. It doesn't seem to have a noticeable grain. Can I just cut the strips on grain or across grain, rather than bias? I am making four pillows, all different sizes and different for dgd's bed. She has just turned 16 and is hanging a tapestry from the wall like this http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=41261165&category=A_BED_TAPESTRIES&color=040 All the appliques I have used, flowers, elephants, peacocks, I have used different ultra suede pieces from my stash. Anyone have an idea on the piping? Thanks,

Gillie
Post #: 1
RE: Ultra Suede for piping. - 2/16/2017 8:00:26 PM   
Bobette

I don't think you need to cut on the bias, but I have no proof of this. I'm sure someone will come long and give you an answer for sure.

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 2
RE: Ultra Suede for piping. - 2/16/2017 8:35:01 PM   
mizzlilly

I made two pillows like that. Mine were "fake" ultra suede. Which is like saying fake fake suede! Because it was much cheaper fabric than the "real" ultrasuede. We could call this fun with oxymorons, or double and triple redundancies! However, once again, I digress... But... I do think I cut mine on the bias. However, IMO, you really shouldn't need to. The bias is to give the fabric the ability to shape to curves, which doesn't apply to regular pillows, or to give a check, gingham, stripe, etc. a cute diagonal/bias decorative element. All you will be doing here is snipping the fabric flange section of the covered cording one to three times at the corner to allow it to turn the corner, right? I know some take a single snip right at the corner, others snip just about 1/4" to 1/2" from either side of the corner as well. So all of this to say I think you will be fine with straight grain. But I'd do a little sample and stitch it like a corner and just see if you're happy with the results before you commit to cutting straight grain strips. Hope we get to see them when complete!

https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/My-Sewing/2016-Sewing

(in reply to Bobette)
Post #: 3
RE: Ultra Suede for piping. - 2/16/2017 8:50:36 PM   
gillie

Thanks to both for your answers. I'm a several snipper at the corners. lol Will give it a try. I really didn't want to bias as I would have too many joins. Will try to post. The designs are from mostly from two sets from Embroidery on Line, Bella Morocco and Samazaar by Woo Hoo Designs. The detail in the first set are really beautiful but the second set only gave one tackdown and a very narrow cover stitch. I'm glad I used the ultra suede as it will not fray and does give nice dimension. Will try to post pictures.

Gillie

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 4
RE: Ultra Suede for piping. - 2/17/2017 4:51:18 PM   
NormaK

That's quite a project! Looking forward to pictures.

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 5
RE: Ultra Suede for piping. - 2/17/2017 7:11:11 PM   
Linda S.

My only suggestion is to use the thinner weight of ultra suede....it comes in several
weights, or it used to, and I don't believe there is a noticeable grain to it. If it doesn't
stretch more going across what we normally think of as a bias angle, I wouldn't
worry about it.

The real stuff looks the same on both sides (looks like suede leather front and back, but
I've seen some that looks similar at Joanne, with a knit backing of some kind and that
does have a grain of sorts to it. I guess it would depend on which kind you're using, as
to if there was a need to cut on the bias.

(in reply to NormaK)
Post #: 6
RE: Ultra Suede for piping. - 3/7/2017 7:08:43 PM   
gillie

[image] [/image]

Attachment (1)

Gillie

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 7
RE: Ultra Suede for piping. - 3/7/2017 7:20:06 PM   
gillie

These are the pillows I made for dgd. Most of the designs are from Embroidery on Line and all the appliques are done with pieces of Ultra Suede.The lettering LIV is from Monogram Wizard. The magenta pipping is ultra suede. The background fabric on the two are "fairy Frost" and the brown is linen. The white, two shades of purple, the blue peacock and the magenta are all ultra suede that has been in my stash since the 80's when the girls were teenagers.

Gillie

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 8
RE: Ultra Suede for piping. - 3/7/2017 7:49:07 PM   
Nananeva

Wow! They are gorgeous!

Neva

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 9
RE: Ultra Suede for piping. - 3/7/2017 8:09:25 PM   
Linda S.

Awesome! What a bevy of beautiful pillows! I especially like the elephant one,
but they all turned out great. Have you given them to her yet? I'm sure she
will be thrilled.

(in reply to Nananeva)
Post #: 10
RE: Ultra Suede for piping. - 3/8/2017 8:09:52 AM   
SewLynn

Just lovely!

Member since 2001.

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 11
RE: Ultra Suede for piping. - 3/8/2017 12:06:46 PM   
gillie

Linda, not much conversation from 16 year olds, but she did send pictures of them on her bed to friends. I think that is about as good as you get. lol. Thanks everyone, they were fun, but lots of stitches. I have one more to do with a camel, but not sure what else. I haven't found the background fabric as yet.

Gillie

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 12
RE: Ultra Suede for piping. - 3/8/2017 9:40:20 PM   
caaguirre

They are just beautiful and you've obviously mastered piping application. Had to laugh at the 16 yo response, I haven't even had the knowledge of photos from gifts to my dgc. Knowing they use the stuff is as good as it gets here.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> Ultra Suede for piping. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll