Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

sewing thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> sewing thread Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
sewing thread - 2/18/2017 7:58:34 AM   
mari

I have some machines that I will use any type sewing thread happily. I tend to use industrial cones on a 1600P janome straight stitcher and a couple of vintage when I need an economical choice for some craft sewing. I am wondering if some of you would suggest a better quality sewing thread brand that you like to use for garments or perhaps nicer projects. I have my long unused artista bernina in for lube and oil since it has been unused for several years or more. I want to pick up some thread for several projects (sewing) that I plan to do on this machine. Any recommendations for a nicer quality sewing thread brand would be appreciated. I want to pick up some when I take the road trip to pick up my machine. Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: sewing thread - 2/18/2017 8:15:43 AM   
SewLynn

Superior, Madeira or Gutermann all purpose 50 wt. polyester sewing threads are all good.

Aurifil makes a wonderful 50 wt. cotton thread that's good for quilting and fine garment sewing, and Madeira makes an 80 wt cotton thread for heirloom sewing.

The Superior Threads website has a treasure trove of information about threads.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to mari)
Post #: 2
RE: sewing thread - 2/18/2017 11:09:00 AM   
vpenner

My machines love Aurifil and Gutermann. The Gutermann is easier to find. My Janome is picky about thread and needles (she HATES Schmetz needles and will misbehave if I use them), but my Bernina will happily sew with just about any thread or needle.

Mother to James (37), Sarah (34), Aaron (33), Adam (30) and David (27)

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 3
RE: sewing thread - 2/18/2017 11:48:45 AM   
mizzlilly

I usually use Mettler silk finish cotton, and their poly, Metrosene. I also sometimes use their "240 green label" which is I think 60 weight cotton.

That being said, I have and use most of the other brands mentioned. I also love several types of Superior, Aurifil, I think also Wonderfil...would have to check. One I don't use is Gutterman. I was told once upon a time that it had some sort of coating that wasn't good for the machine. So I've avoided it. I really don't know whether or not it's true, but it does feel different than my other threads.

The Mettler silk finish is really nice for top stitching. Just a little heavier than your typical sewing thread, nowhere near as heavy as jeans thread or actual top stitching thread...just a bit heavier that gives a look I really like. Superior's King Tut, foremost a cotton quilting thread, would be very similar.

Now inquiring minds want to know...what projects are you planning?

https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/My-Sewing/2016-Sewing

(in reply to vpenner)
Post #: 4
RE: sewing thread - 2/19/2017 3:38:03 PM   
mari

Thanks to all of you for the ideas. The shop which caters a lot to quilters and the heirloom type sewing carries mettler brand . I have a good bit of that from heirloom sewing days. I think what this shop will have that I need a bit of is the metrosene which I will take a look at. Thanks Sew Lynn for the thread weight of the poly sewing thread. I may shop some online but wanted to pick up a few spools while on my road trip. I was going to fmq some on a runner the other day and decided since the bernina has been sitting for so long a period, it might need lube and oil before use. I have other machines I use for embroidery and that I jump around on for sewing various things. I spent several years commuting over to the next town to help my daughter with a difficult pregnancy and then with the grands as she needed to return to work. I was injured in a fall, had surgery and my dh took me to the larger town several times a week for therapy for months then I did that at home. Thankfully I can raise my arm and thread machines again. I think I bought this machine around 2009 but not positive. I was shocked when I realized how long it has been sitting. I have had in the last year all the machines in for maintenance except the two berninas. I will take the 930 mechanical when I pick up the other.
I have of late been bitten by the quilting bug for a couple of table runners that the cat's like a lot. I am thinking of working on a quilt as you go king size quilt nothing heirloom type just a utility one as wide as I would like. I want to use the embroidery machines for some of the quilt sections and fmq in other areas. I continue to need to do some alterations of some rtw but only do that in spurts as I dislike it but being petite is necessary. I would like to sew some casual knit tops for home and some casual summer capris that are not denim to wear with a bunch of tops that came from sale racks before hot weather arrives. My last wantsie is a set of patriotic runners as long distance daughter and family will be here during that time period. Ditto some embroidered towels to go with those and the summer runners I am working on now. Will I get it all done. no but at least I have a game plan of projects to pick and choose from. I owe a couple of happy gifts and must do heavy cleaning here before my family comes late June. I think I need to make my list and try to sort into must get done and like to think about happening to be realistic. I am very excited to be sewing again. It's so fun to have sewing and embroidery machines to play with. If we could only sew up and make lots of big blocks of time to use them more, it would be at the top of my to do list.

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 5
RE: sewing thread - 2/20/2017 8:06:18 AM   
SewLynn

Don't know why I didn't think to add Mettler/Metrosene to my list ... I'll go out of my way for their threads, for heirloom sewing especially. Although, last time I checked, none of local shops where I am carried it.

Lillian - I had never heard about Gutermann having a coating. I'd be real interested in learning if that's true. They do make three types of all purpose sewing threads - the two found in Joanns are regular thread - a cotton and a ply, but they also make thread that is recycled from plastic bottles - green end cap. I've never tried that one, Red Rock Threads carries that one.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to mari)
Post #: 6
RE: sewing thread - 2/20/2017 11:23:09 AM   
vpenner

I'm with you, Lynn. I forgot to mention the Mettler. Janome likes that one, too.

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 7
RE: sewing thread - 2/20/2017 11:30:15 AM   
Linda S.

Don't know if this will help, but I've been using Gutermann for at least 25
years and haven't noticed a problem due to coating. I use other thread too,
but many times Gutermann.

I have some Sulky that I should toss. Every time I pick it up to use it I notice
all the fuzzies and put it down in favor of another thread. Fuzzy-wise, Gutterman
seems the best to me but then I'm no expert on the subject.

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 8
RE: sewing thread - 2/21/2017 6:49:13 AM   
mari

I stupidly decided to take in my bernina 930 for the maintenance and had to lift it and carry in , reloaded the artista and arm luggage that was done and the clerk insisted I needed to unpack the 930 and put on counter to get the serial number which I finally said no way. She had stopped and helped a couple of others and checked them out and by this time my back and knee was killing me from the lifting. After I took the artista and embroidery unit and loaded it, I decided nope not shopping. It's amazing the tolerance level one has when in pain. Any thing in there I can buy online at half the price but usually I am supportive of shops and will purchase freely when in. I lost that thought yesterday rather quickly. It's not the only place I can take a machine and an hour away. The customer service can vary widely from dealer to dealer. I had a healthy list of things I planned to look at but I did not make the cash register run a long tape. Often my dh is with me but the other places I have other brands serviced they always load unload if I am alone. My parents of yesteryear always refused to reward bad behavior by with holding financially. I find my self doing that more and more. I am very supportive of the shops in driving distance by shopping freely. Yesterday, I was being my parents as an adult and decided I was not shopping. A babylock dealer told me once that one of the biggest sales he ever made was with a pad and pencil to a deaf mute couple that had been in another place and were not only not waited on but snickered at. They bought a mulit needle, a sewing machine combo and a serger and all of their supplies and thanked him on the note pad for helping them. He said he was very particular about his hiring as he got quite a few disgruntled people that were not happy with some shops they visited and they had become very good customers.

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 9
RE: sewing thread - 2/21/2017 9:32:35 AM   
mizzlilly

How awful, especially after your terrible injury Mari! My dealer helps with the machines, right from the car. If they didn't, I simply couldn't take them there at all. I agree, speak loudly with your wallet, it may, just may, relay your feelings. If the clerk you were dealing with wasn't strong enough, there should have been someone there to call.

(in reply to mari)
Post #: 10
RE: sewing thread - 2/21/2017 12:01:16 PM   
vpenner

I know what you mean about not rewarding bad behavior. We had a fabric shop owner years ago who sold some things I couldn't buy anywhere else locally. She did not, to put it kindly, possess the temperament to successfully deal with the public. I tolerated her rudeness until she screamed at my little boy and made him cry. He had expressed curiosity at a "Tot" stapler (one of those itty-bitty ones for anyone who might not be familiar) and when we turned our backs, he picked it up to look at it. She saw him and screamed at the top of her lungs for him to "put that down!!!" Mind you, he did not or would not have hurt it; he was curious because he'd never seen one before and, being three years old, forgot he should ask first. Aaron burst into tears. I told her she could have asked nicely and calmly and he would have put it down, and we left and never darkened her establishment's door again. I ordered the stuff she sold by mail order from another company. Interestingly, she went out of business about 6 months after that.

< Message edited by vpenner -- 2/25/2017 12:37:44 PM >

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 11
RE: sewing thread - 2/21/2017 1:07:21 PM   
Penny Hal

I have a rule...I never buy a sewing machine or dog that I cannot pick up.

Penny

(in reply to vpenner)
Post #: 12
RE: sewing thread - 2/21/2017 3:03:55 PM   
mizzlilly

You are a smart lady Penny...says the lady with two 35 to 40 lb. machines I really can't manage...well, I can move them just a tad if it's an easy move...and a 70 lb. dog I can begin to lift. I do put his big paws up on the car seat, edge of the tub, etc. And then hoist his back end in. He can leap like a gazelle when he wants to, but he doesn't always want to when I want him to. Note to self...put better treats in the car!

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 13
RE: sewing thread - 2/21/2017 6:17:58 PM   
mari

Well I am guessing being a holiday, perhaps not as many helpers. It has normally been the situation for me as well to either have someone load or my dh. The owner and another couple I know are usually very nice to me and the helper was not rude just seemed disinterested and not very personable. She was young and I am not making an issue just decided I would not shop after lugging the machines about.
Dh had a doctor appointment in the town in the opposite direction so we road tripped today and picked up some items there that were heavy but dh was with me. Probably all the road tripping the last two weeks didn't help when added to the lifting so perhaps I was already a bit on the moody cranky side. Anyway I am really happy that my mission of getting the maintenance done on all the machines hanging out here is complete. Penny, I'd be up the creek with out the proverbial paddle if the sewing machine rule applied. The only two machine I own that are light enough to comfortably pick up would be the feather weight vintage and the pfaff computerized I have had for years. I have way too many machines but do like to use for various tasks and have kept them when upgrading. Now as dogs go, I have a really elderly dog that we face the challenges of being bling, deaf and mostly sleeping, eating, etc. Vet daughter said two years ago she needed to be put to sleep but just take it day by day as she does not seem to be in pain. Dh's little dog is getting on in years too. We have two rescue twins that like to hunt and run around but also come in when it is extra hot or cold. They are crate trained and ask when they want in or out but also have a big custom made dog house on our back porch and another cozy bed out there. In summer heat they spend the afternoons in with breaks and the coldest weather which is not that much here they sleep in at night. The pets here are all rescues and very spoiled. Vet daughter has a farm house now so any collecting she can do there. We are sort of winding down with the horses and pets as we are older and I would worry about all the what ifs. As it is we have 3 cats of course hers originally that she would be responsible for should anything happen to us. I can tell I don't have the stamina I used to with pets, sewing machines etc. I have most in cabinets or use rolling/ or portable tables they live on or dh will put in place if I want one moved around. Mizlilly, you are such a sweet lady and a great dog mom. I really have to keep a close eye on the rescue large dog twins as they like to run and play and if they tumble into me it is like being run over by a freight train. They play together and are best friends but when they are playing chase they don't watch at all when they are running where they are going. Getting older really is the pits, so many things to rethink from sewing to dogs and cats.

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 14
RE: sewing thread - 2/21/2017 9:28:57 PM   
NormaK

I've been usually Gutermann nearly exclusively for sewing since I got my Designer 1 in 2002, and my machines have been happy. (I cannot believe it has been that many years since I got that machine! Now, it mostly rests in my sewing room waiting for Dd to decide she needs to sew something. I'm using the Designer SE LE I got very gently used from Jean M. a few years back now. Time keeps flying.)

(in reply to mari)
Post #: 15
RE: sewing thread - 2/22/2017 7:24:55 AM   
Linda S.

Mari, I'm so sorry you hurt yourself this way! I can't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk and
that's even pushing it for me. If someone from my dealer wouldn't come to the car and carry in my
machines, I'd have to go elsewhere, and I am sure many customers can't lift these heavy machines.
And since most of the regular customers I've seen are women about my age (or older), it seems to
me the owner would be wise to make sure we are catered to ; ).

The dealer where I live used to have wonderful ladies working there, but not so anymore...and it really
does make a difference in terms of how often I shop. When one of the new gals sold my husband
a babylock coverstitch machine (a Christmas gift) that no one in the shop knew how to operate, that
about did it for me. Without lessons, I never did learn how to operate that machine. It wasn't cheap,
and sits idle to this day. The older I get, I notice the harder it is to learn new technology.
I think it's about time to switch brands and try another dealer.

(in reply to NormaK)
Post #: 16
RE: sewing thread - 2/24/2017 4:25:10 PM   
mari

I guess we are lucky to have any one in driving distance here. There used to be lots of sewing around here and dealers for other brands. No more. I never have bonded with my new bernina serger . It is far too fididdly to me and wish I had opted for a not computerized mechanical model. I had a few years of not much sewing with the grandson arriving and the shoulder injury. I keep say it is going to come out to play with the manual. I did go to a class but forgot most of what I learned. I am still using my old bernina serger while the new one waits for me to get round tuit. I hope you can learn how to use your coverstitch. I bought a really simple janome when they hit the market and really love it for hemming knits. They are a bit different from what we are used to but mine is not hard but again it is a simple model. The bernina serger is computerized and can be changed about for the coverstitches and even a triple. I should be horsewhipped for not using that thing. The older I get the more I like single use machines and not combo anything nor a bunch of gadgets.
As for thread I was putting away a bunch of spools that have been out for a mend or hem that have been accumulating and in a really big rubber maid tote I pulled down there I find tons of mettler and metrosene plus I bought at a store closing years ago. I think before I buy any thread it better be for a specific project that there is no match for or perhaps more black, white, etc only. Honestly my brain is washed in my older years. How does anybody in their right mind forget they bought a thread display. On the flip side it probably cost .15 a spool so no harm done. I was doing some heirloom sewing and sort of just saved it and forgot. I also bought the dual duty display that same day back when it was a more decent quality than now. I know it is still ok as the larger spools I added to my regular rotation and they still work fine. I guess it is really a good thing I didn't buy a bunch of thread the other day. I need to use what I own before I die and get talked about as the crazy thread lady. Ha Starting the machine embroidery hobby really added to my thread hoarding. Of course normal people think it all looks like sewing thread so would be horrified at all of it. My own mother who only bought a spool per project would roll over in her grave at this nuttiness.

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 17
RE: sewing thread - 2/24/2017 4:40:44 PM   
mari

Norma, I have had a few spools of the gutterman and I THINK it was one of the European brands that was recommended way back when berninas and pfaffs were appearing. Honestly every place I ever bought a machine I was told I needed to use what they carried. My bernina 930 has had every quality/brand of thread pass through it and never a hiccup. Now I do use the factory cones on the janome straight stitcher or a vintage as they can take abuse and maintenance at home. I am much nicer to my computerized machines. They all get used with machine embroidery thread as I seldom sew on the combos. I plan to sew some knit tops on it and perhaps free motion some on it with the bsr. So I took it in and had them oil and clean it so it is ready to work. I don't think I would hesitate to use gutterman on it. Lots of people like you use it and are pleased.

(in reply to mari)
Post #: 18
RE: sewing thread - 2/25/2017 7:10:54 AM   
sewsusan

Mari, just read your post & I have to take my Janome 8000 in for a caliberation adjustment. Not looking forward to this, but love the machine (it is a dinosaur, however). I think that the touch screen might need replacing. The weight of the machine isn't the problem, it's the bill if he can repair!!Think I might faint from "sticker shock"!! Wish me luck.
Susan

(in reply to mari)
Post #: 19
RE: sewing thread - 2/27/2017 7:46:42 AM   
mari

I keep my older machines and love them even though there are newer ones hanging out here. Some times they have to go due to cost effectiveness. I always admire the tinker type folks who get a parts machine and can reasonably repair issues on a well built machine that has some small thing that needs fixing. I was reading the other day that on the 930 berninas sometimes an electronic issue has them discarded and yet one lady's engineer hubby went in and repaired that for her. I took that one in for maintenance as for years it has nothing wrong and was afraid it might freeze up. It is the only one despite the glitzy computer ones here that always always makes a beautiful button hole and never a blooper. I have lots of feet and for some weird task it is my go to. I bought a new bernina serger a few years ago as I was told no part was available to replace its foot control. I came home and realized after a search that it used a common sewing machine foot pedal that was available as a generic part. Argg. I am still using it most of the time as I know it inside out and it just chugs on. Hope your janome can be fixed.

(in reply to sewsusan)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> sewing thread Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2017 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy