Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Knit info for Linda

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> Knit info for Linda Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Knit info for Linda - 2/18/2017 7:27:50 PM   
mizzlilly

I have a bit of info gleaned from a couple of books:

Jerseys and single knits both tend to curl. They are often, but not always, light weight and drape nicely, especially a rayon jersey for example. Jersey curls to the right side...it has vertical ribs on the face and horizontal loops on the back. Runs from both ends.

Interlock knits tend not to curl. Not as stretchy as jersey and single knits. They have lengthwise ribs and look the same on both sides. Run resistant. Almost no lengthwise stretch, but stretchier crosswise than jersey or double knits.

Double knits look the same on both sides, fine lengthwise ribs, and do not run. Edges do not curl.

I have quite a few fabric books, and this info comes from two: Threads Sewing Guide and Fabric Sewing Guide, 2nd Edition, by Claire Schaeffer. I have her first edition as well, but the new one is much bigger and I found a lot of new, good info in it.

If you have a knit fabric that you like and want to use, you can minimize the curling by starching the edges, or by applying narrow strips of fusible weft (knit) interfacing. Pre-shrinking may make the curling worse, but of course you need to decide how important pre-shrinking is to you!

I am reasonably sure that those really nice "baby knits" that Martha used to sell...the onesies, sleepers, blankets, bibs, etc., were cotton interlock. My local store also sells a nice poly/cotton blend interlock. I think it is 50/50. I prefer to use the all cotton, but the one I can buy locally is a very nice quality, doesn't curl, nor run easily, and is easy to work with.

HTH!

https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/My-Sewing/2016-Sewing
Post #: 1
RE: Knit info for Linda - 2/19/2017 7:37:16 PM   
NormaK

Thank you, Mizzlilly, for the information. I "printed" it into a PDF file, so that I would have it.

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 2
RE: Knit info for Linda - 2/19/2017 8:57:20 PM   
JudyPNW

I know I'm not Linda but I need this too.

Thank you!

(in reply to NormaK)
Post #: 3
RE: Knit info for Linda - 2/20/2017 10:34:48 AM   
Linda S.

Thank you Lillian! This is excellent info I'll save and see if I can apply it to some
knits I have on hand for identification. I need to be able to call these knits by
name, so I know what I'll get when I order online.

Curling edges is a real pain to deal with when constructing a garment and I do like
to pre-shrink fabric.

The fusible knit interfacing is a great idea, and one I've used before to stabilize knit seams....
mostly when I wanted to use my sewing machine (which doesn't have differential feed)
instead of pulling out the serger. I've gotten away from using my serger, which is
something I've come to regret ; ).

I've been using a product meant for joining pieces of quilt batting, which I learned about
by reading one of Bunny's blog posts. It's called 'Heat Press', and is a light weight, very
low temp fusible web 1.5 in. wide. It is stable on the lengthwise long grain. Directions
say not to even touch the iron to the webbing, just hover over. I cut it in in even thinner
strips. Like Bunny, I could find this at my local Joanne fabric store, but not the other.
It might be a good alternative for others who can't find knit stabilizer locally.

(in reply to JudyPNW)
Post #: 4
RE: Knit info for Linda - 2/21/2017 9:43:58 AM   
mizzlilly

Glad you all found that helpful!

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 5
RE: Knit info for Linda - 2/21/2017 8:33:48 PM   
NormaK

Linda, where would you find this Heat Press at Joann's?

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 6
RE: Knit info for Linda - 2/21/2017 10:36:23 PM   
mizzlilly

Not Linda, but try near the quilt batting, since it is designed to join small pieces of batting.

(in reply to NormaK)
Post #: 7
RE: Knit info for Linda - 2/22/2017 6:52:49 AM   
Linda S.

Yep, that's where I found it....in the quilting notions dept.

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> Knit info for Linda Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote