Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Neck band measurements for bishop??

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Smocking >> Neck band measurements for bishop?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Neck band measurements for bishop?? - 2/24/2017 3:51:13 PM   
JoyL

Okay Ladies,

Once again I am turning to you experts for help.

I am attaching a picture of the instructions for the neck band for the bishop dresses that I am attempting to make for my granddaughters.

I am going to make a size 3 for both of them, but I am having a difficult understanding about the neck edge measurements.
According to my pattern, the neck band should be cut 13" long for a size 3.
But also, according to my pattern instructions it says, "Cut the neckband 2" wide by the child's neck measurement, plus 1-1/2 inches."

Both my granddaughters necks are 10-1/2 " around. So, am I understanding that I would add 1-1/2 inches to THAT measurement for a total length of 12 inches? even though the chart states that it should be 13 inches for a size 3.

Just to clarify this before I dive into this with both feet...lol.

Thanks for prompt answers.

Joy

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Neck band measurements for bishop?? - 2/24/2017 5:49:07 PM   
Grammie

Joy...I am no expert but I would cut the bands the longer length and then when it is time to put them on the dress, match up the stitching line and see what fits. I am a "tight" smocker so I often use less of a neckline binding than called for. On the other hand, if the longer length works, you have probably smocked correctly and it will give you a slightly larger neckline so the girls can grow into the dresses. Bishops last a long time on little girls - love them (both the dresses and the little girls!)

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 4 to 23 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 13)!

(in reply to JoyL)
Post #: 2
RE: Neck band measurements for bishop?? - 2/26/2017 8:44:18 PM   
Linda S.

It's been many years since I've smocked, so I'm afraid I won't be of much help. If I were doing it
and had the smocking done to size, I'd make a neckband to fit. Probably no help at all lol!

I posted a message to Kathy and also emailed her, calling this to her attention. Hang in there!

< Message edited by Linda S. -- 2/26/2017 8:54:02 PM >

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 3
RE: Neck band measurements for bishop?? - 2/27/2017 5:24:29 AM   
KathyD

Sorry - just returned home from a weekend teaching engagement. (Thanks for the email Linda!) I would definitely make the measurement 13" or even longer. Kids today don't like things that sit at the natural neckline. they are so used to knits and such that anything at the natural neckline will feel too tight. I'd even go with 14". If the child is nearby, take a length of string and cut it to 14" and see where it hits on the neckline and then decide. Larger necklines will also allow for longer wear! :D

KathyD
http://sewing-adventures.com

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Smocking >> Neck band measurements for bishop?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2017 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy