Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Trouble with my Janome 10001

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Trouble with my Janome 10001 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Trouble with my Janome 10001 - 2/25/2017 11:47:23 PM   
caaguirre

Argh, went to do some embroidery and my carriage arm won't move anywhere but from side to side. Anyone else ever had this problem? I'm envisioning big $ for repairs because I already noticed I have to manually drop my feed dogs instead of the automatic dropping when getting ready to embroider.

Happy Sewing, Carol
Post #: 1
RE: Trouble with my Janome 10001 - 2/26/2017 12:26:55 PM   
mari

Maybe it won't be as bad as you think. On an 8500 that is here, I kept getting notice to raise pressure foot to initialize and it would be up already. It had been serviced and of course I was thinking board though if I raised the foot up more it would do its thing. I had someone else do the maintenance the next time I had it in and apparently foot height wasn't set just right the last time it was lubed and cleaned. I thought that was really annoying but was relieved it was an error the tech made. Maybe your embroidery arm hopefully just needs sensors cleaned or something minor. Fingers crossed for you. The one that does most of my machines (not bernina) is really excellent. I usually now ask them to sew it out as I have to road trip twice if I get one in for maintenance.

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 2
RE: Trouble with my Janome 10001 - 3/6/2017 2:36:55 PM   
caaguirre

Disaster! Repair would be $900 for part for this discontinued machine. Now to decide my next step, probably an embroidery only machine since my 10000 still sews like a dream. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to mari)
Post #: 3
RE: Trouble with my Janome 10001 - 3/7/2017 1:16:06 AM   
Roxann

Ouch, sorry to learn of your machines demise. Maybe look at some gently used, traded in machines?

Roxann

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 4
RE: Trouble with my Janome 10001 - 3/7/2017 4:50:53 AM   
aussie

Oh my gosh, that is a whopper of a repair. I have a Baby Lock Accent which is probably 20 yrs old. Think it was one of the first machines, has a 4x4 hoop. Sometimes we have deep conversations and I look at the window and nod my head, then we come to an agreement and things move along very nicely. But at times I would like a 5x7 hoop but definitely not the duo machines. I have been looking at the Brother embroidery only machine (which there is not much selection these days). I think Amazon has it for about $600. My big concern is making sure all my designs are the same format. Absolutely not going to change all these designs to another one. And as long as the BL and I agree, I will keep that one too. I just never looked beyond the PES formatted machines, so not sure what else is there. Another issue is many hook directly to your computer and I don't want that either. My sewing area is upstairs and my computer is downstairs. I try very hard to keep all these tech items on the very low end as it seems in a couple months, you need something else. That is a lot of money flying out of the checking account.
Carol NW Ohio

Keep us posted on what you decide.

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 5
RE: Trouble with my Janome 10001 - 3/7/2017 12:46:19 PM   
Nananeva

I have a desktop computer in my office, but I have a laptop downstairs to use with my embroidery. Both my BL Elegante and the PR600II multi needle can connect to it with a cord. But now my new BL Destiny II connects with WiFi! I am not very knowledgeable about computers, but feel that WiFi will be common with our emb machines. My two computers are connected thru WiFi. Roku? Netflix? The grandkids tablets? It is all connected with WiFi.

Neva

(in reply to aussie)
Post #: 6
RE: Trouble with my Janome 10001 - 3/7/2017 1:42:21 PM   
sewsusan

Carol, I can feel your pain! My Janome 8000 which I bought used in 1994 will not respond to "recaliberation" efforts. I have had this issue in the past & the dealer was able to install a new "A" board which is the touch screen. That was several years ago, however. I had my ds check with the techs where she works (sewing machine dealer & repair). She said that unfortunately the board is no longer available (per Janome headquarters in N.J. I dearly love that machine, but had purchased a Janome 300E which is the ME only model some time ago. I'm going to have to bite the bullet & buy another sewing only Janome. I would not invest in another combo machine as they are out of my budget! The ME only models are affordable & very functional IMHO. The trouble with me is, I am overwhelmed with the bells & whistles and many choices out there! Good luck! Nothing lasts forever

(in reply to Nananeva)
Post #: 7
RE: Trouble with my Janome 10001 - 3/7/2017 3:09:33 PM   
caaguirre

Sewsusan, I see by your post I'm not alone, I feel the same way about my 10001. The repairman said basically the same thing, the part for the carriage arm is no longer available. My head has been spinning for the past couple of days looking at the Janomes online and trying to make some kind of decision. I'll sink completely if I branch out to different brands so I'm sticking to what I know and love. I think I'll keep my 10001 for sewing so I agree about the ME only machine and will probably go with the 350e since I can use some of the equipment I already have. The machines with the larger hoops are beyond my budget but most of my projects are 4x4 or 5x7 anyway. A pox on these companies who discontinue replacement parts!

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to sewsusan)
Post #: 8
RE: Trouble with my Janome 10001 - 3/7/2017 3:48:21 PM   
JR

I started out with the Janome 8000 and I went up. Finally stopped at the 11000. Believe me I loved my Janome's but not much service in my area for Janome.
At one time I almost bought the 15000, but the dealer which carried them said I would be happier the Brother Quattro. Of course, she sold both but did not like Janome. Now she sells Bother and Pfaff. My first machine I bought myself was a Pfaff. Love that IDT foot. In my days, it was called the matchmaker foot. Been told Pfaff is coming out with
a new machine in the fall. I will look to see what it has. A girl can never have enough machines!! So sorry about your 10000. Good machine.

JR

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 9
RE: Trouble with my Janome 10001 - 3/8/2017 12:36:31 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

Well Carol did you check Craigslist and some other websites sewitsfor sale.... maybe someone has a 10000 for cheap that works... for very cheap... you could keep your other one for parts... and what part exactly cost 900$ perhaps they list such a whopper of a price to get you to bite the bullet. Armed with the info perhaps you can check around my dealer had lots of old er machines for resale.. trade ins or people wanting to sell to buy up... You are in a big enough location that there likely are many sewing machine shop locations.... other than that 350e is likely what you are looking for.

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to JR)
Post #: 10
RE: Trouble with my Janome 10001 - 3/8/2017 10:06:06 PM   
caaguirre

Thanks Shirley, I answered you on Facebook this morning - it's the carriage arm that you attach the hoop to for embroidery. It's supposed to go side to side and front to back, but will only go side to side. The repair shop had a 10001 completely refurbished for sale but they wanted $500 and I think that if mine is going that one will go soon too so didn't want to spend on an old machine. I didn't think about a parts "bank". I'm still in the mulling it all over stage, and facing the fact that these computerized machines have an expiration date. It's not like the mechanical machines which will be around forever. The lady demoed the 500e just for fun, It looks like they combined the Janome software that used to sell separately with a big hoop machine.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 11
RE: Trouble with my Janome 10001 - 3/10/2017 11:32:38 AM   
ShirleyCalgary

Carol the dealer can tell how much use that 10001 got if you bought mine you would have a gem because I had so many machines and did little actual sewing on it or embroidery for that matter so it would not hurt to inquire what the stitch count is... but as you say your 10000 sews just fine - you could also dicker with him perhaps offer him $400 depending on if it was a trade in or not my 12000 has had 20 minutes stitching on it... see what I mean yes it is a few years old but I never used it except to try out that fringe built in flower

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 12
RE: Trouble with my Janome 10001 - 3/10/2017 10:00:12 PM   
caaguirre

Shirley, I took your advice and went to another shop yesterday for a second opinion. This man has serviced my machine before with cleaning etc. The difference between the two shops is quite interesting. Shop No. 1 is definitely interested in selling me another machine, whether new or used. Shop No. 2 is interested in repairing what I have. He said he's never had a Janome come in with my problem and will have to find out what's wrong. He's backed up right now so it will be a couple of weeks before he has an answer for me. I'm fine with that. He also said he sells a used 10000 or 10001 for $2000 because it's such a good machine. How can that be? Honestly dealing with these shops is almost as bad as dealing with a used car salesman. (No offense if any of you sell used cars) So I'm in the waiting room and doing some long overdue cleaning and organizing of my sewing area. I'll let you know what happens.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 13
RE: Trouble with my Janome 10001 - 3/11/2017 7:36:32 AM   
mari

When one dealer told me a part for my serger was unavailable was the branded part was not available. I found the after market part which was a foot control and it is humming. Of course I have the 1K plus serger they sold me here that I need to dust off and learn how to use. Honestly I think with the age of your janome you might find an embroidery arm for not that much if you keep inquiring. Computer boards die so there is probably another orphan arm out there. You can probably find one over time on one of the sew for sale groups or ebay. That being said if I liked sewing on it I would find an embroidery machine to love. You are right there is a huge difference from one to the other repair person in every way. I have an 8500 that has spent a lot of its life in a closet as an upgrade happened not long after its purchase. I had it in to service a couple of years ago thinking perhaps my daughter might want to use it and got this long blah blah about what an old machine it was when I had to take it back as it was doing something strange after the service. I bit the bullet and had someone else service it and he charged one half what the other place did, no blah blah, and he fixed what the other place had done that was causing an issue. ARG I now often use it for kitchen towels as it has a small foot print and I bring it into the kitchen , living room area where I hang out.

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 14
RE: Trouble with my Janome 10001 - 3/18/2017 10:24:44 PM   
caaguirre

Shop 2 called today to tell me machine is ready for pick up and cost is $240. Shirley's suggestion to get a second opinion is the best advice I've received in a long time, thanks Shirley! Will find out what the fix was on Monday when I go over there, but am thrilled to get my sewing buddy repaired and ready to go once again.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to mari)
Post #: 15
RE: Trouble with my Janome 10001 - 3/18/2017 11:03:24 PM   
Roxann

I do love happy (and reasonably priced) endings! Hope you get miles more stitching together.

Roxann

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 16
RE: Trouble with my Janome 10001 - 3/19/2017 2:50:00 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

Carol.... repairs to machines or cars or equipment varies by the talent of the repairman - comparable to any other talent whether it be knitting sewing crochet or cooking.... not everyone excels my local janome shop likely blew out my machines with canned air but still charged me $120 last time........ but the guy in Red Deer where I b ought the 12000 and the 500e and the 350e and a cart full of needles buttons thread stabilizer over the years told me now listen to me.... your machines do not need a cleaning service tuneup - you just have enough machines that not a single one gets enough wortk out besides he told me that I cleaned them carefully he suggested that I would know when to bring it in and right now I have 2 maybe 3 machines that are waiting for a trip to Red Deer travel aka moving did not agree with them... jostled?? bumped??? and they were in my car not the moving truck... so yes I know they need the janome out of town doctor.

(in reply to Roxann)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Trouble with my Janome 10001 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2017 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy