Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Making holes in eyelet

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Making holes in eyelet Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Making holes in eyelet - 3/1/2017 1:14:22 PM   
Penny Hal

I've been thinking about doing a design that has eyelet type holes in it, but I can't figure out how to cut the fabric out of those tiny spaces. Even when they have tiny gromet type holes I'm clueless as to how they do it. Does anyone have experience cutting opening those holes?

Penny
Post #: 1
RE: Making holes in eyelet - 3/1/2017 1:43:23 PM   
KarenVA

When I make machine eyelet buttonholes, I use an awl to poke an opening in the middle of the stitched circle.

Here's a lesson for hand embroidery:

http://sidneyeileen.com/sewing-2/tuts-costume/hand-sewing-tutorials/how-to-hand-sew-eyelets/#.WLclOGczVaQ

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 2
RE: Making holes in eyelet - 3/1/2017 9:04:42 PM   
Marie MyEmbHaven

I use an awl too as Karen mentionned... but when the hole gets a bit too big for this, I simply cut a cross in the center of the hole all the way to the stitches and use tweezers to cut the 4 tiny pies it creates if that makes any sense

Marie
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MyEmboideryHaven
Group: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/MyEmbroideryHaven/info
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/myembroideryhav/

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 3
RE: Making holes in eyelet - 3/1/2017 10:43:59 PM   
caaguirre

I bought the buttonhole cutter set from Nancy's Notions years ago and it included the chisel type cutter, a small wood block, and a round cutter with the diameter of about approximately 1/8 inch or so which is perfect for eyelets. I would Google "punches" and see what comes up. There's also a tool called a Cropadile which has various prongs to punch multiple sizes of holes. It's in the paper aisle but it works on fabric too.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Marie MyEmbHaven)
Post #: 4
RE: Making holes in eyelet - 3/2/2017 8:01:48 AM   
shanedel

I use the little cutter also for eyelet size holes and it works beautifully. If it is a little larger, I do a technique like Marie. Most digitized circles or cutwork areas will be outlined once or twice with a small straight stitch. I start in the center of the area to be cut away with may smaller curved embroidery scissors and make a tiny opening. I then extend that cut up to the stitching line, then follow it all around to complete cutting the area. This way I have a little "tag" of fabric I can pull on gently with my tweezers. It sometimes help to lay my hoop on a flat surface and keep rotating it as I go around. I have found if you try to start at the edge you have a greater chance of cutting through that outline stitch line. Ask me how I know!!! Good luck!

< Message edited by shanedel -- 3/2/2017 8:02:47 AM >

Shane (formerly sc)

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 5
RE: Making holes in eyelet - 3/2/2017 9:37:57 AM   
Nananeva

If you have a Tandy leather supply store in the area, there are several tools for making holes. One is similar to pliars, with a rotating wheel of punches that cuts different size holes. There also are individual punches in different sizes that you tap with a hammer. You can check them out online also.

< Message edited by Nananeva -- 3/2/2017 10:01:50 AM >

Neva

(in reply to shanedel)
Post #: 6
RE: Making holes in eyelet - 3/2/2017 11:46:49 AM   
vpenner

Nancy still carries the eyelet cutter: http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/buttonhole+cutter+set.do

Mother to James (37), Sarah (34), Aaron (33), Adam (30) and David (27)

(in reply to Nananeva)
Post #: 7
RE: Making holes in eyelet - 3/2/2017 12:24:52 PM   
Penny Hal

Thanks for all the info! Now I have confidence that I can make holes!

Penny

(in reply to vpenner)
Post #: 8
RE: Making holes in eyelet - 3/2/2017 5:06:46 PM   
KarenVA

What design are you going to make, Penny?

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 9
RE: Making holes in eyelet - 3/3/2017 1:39:22 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

I use the set mentioned above it came with a small green cutting mat and a button hole cutter and an eyelet cutter to cut the fabric it is a sharp hollow tube..
If the eyelet is bigger you can still use the cutting tool to poke a few holes and use manicure scissor type to remove fabric.
There is also a product called fabric etch

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 10
RE: Making holes in eyelet - 3/4/2017 12:59:41 PM   
Penny Hal

I'm working on two wall hangings. One says:

She is but little but she is fierce - for a short person that is in the dog agility group that I teach. It's an Embroidery Library designs.

Ring the bell and listen to me sing the song of my people - I don't recall where I got this saying from, but I'm using it to put next to my

doorbell. Putting a little embroidered corgi on it and music notes too. I'll probably cover it with vynal since it'll be outdoors.

They are the same size, 5x7, of the mug rugs I make, but will be done vertically instead of horizontally. Have to come up with more things to sell at craft shows.

Penny

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 11
RE: Making holes in eyelet - 3/5/2017 3:19:06 PM   
Penny Hal

My husband, who has every tool ever made, actually had one of those tools! It made a 1/8" hole through two layers of cotton, two layers of stabilizer and a layer of cotton batting without a problem. I did not stitch an eyelet first because the hole it made was so tiny. Maybe next time I'll put Fray Check on it. I poked a ribbon through the holes and knotted the ends. I forgot to take a photo before I gave it to my friend to test out. My ability to remember stuff drives me crazy.

I can't figure out why I have so many paragraphs in my last post. Oh well.

Penny

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 12
RE: Making holes in eyelet - 3/6/2017 11:39:33 AM   
vpenner

Coincidentally, I just made a couple of eye patches (had an accident and injured my left eye and it's still swollen shut and I'm afraid to scare small children if I go out in public). I sewed two eyelets in them to hold the elastic cord that fits around my head. My preferred method for punching the holes is an awl. I do, however, own the buttonhole/eyelet cutter mentioned above and it works as well.

Mother to James (37), Sarah (34), Aaron (33), Adam (30) and David (27)

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 13
RE: Making holes in eyelet - 3/6/2017 1:14:25 PM   
SewLynn

I love these forums. After 17 years here, I still learn something new.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to vpenner)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Making holes in eyelet Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2017 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy