Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Mizlilly

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> Mizlilly Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mizlilly - 3/7/2017 8:21:41 PM   
Linda S.

Lillian, I'm thinking about trying to sell my babylock coverstitch machine that my
husband bought for me a while back. You may recall, he purchased it from a local
dealer who ordered it for him, no problem there....but no one in the store knew how
to help me learn how to use it. I went for one "lesson", and during the hour and
a half I was there, we figured out how to thread it. We sewed a few stitches, then
time was up for the "lesson". She seemed to indicate she had no more she could
teach me.

I gave up after that and haven't touched it since. It occurred to me I should try
to get some of the money back since this was not an inexpensive coverstitch. And
I could use the money for other things.

It did run nice, the little that we sewed with it, and I've read rave reviews about
it online, and everyone says it's an easy machine to use...but I just don't have
enough confidence to learn on my own. Do you have any suggestions as to how
or where I might try to sell it? I know you have one too. Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: Mizlilly - 3/7/2017 9:56:08 PM   
mizzlilly

I think the yahoo group sew its for sale might be the best place. It's such a shame you never had lessons or learned to sew on it. It should take about five minutes to thread it, and that's if you are using all three needles! The needles thread just like serger needles, and the looper threads mostly with the jet air threading. Fabric under the foot, pedal to the metal. Maybe someone here will be interested...as far as I know there are no rules against buyers and sellers meeting up here!

https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/My-Sewing/2016-Sewing

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 2
RE: Mizlilly - 3/8/2017 11:11:12 AM   
Nananeva

Linda, you don't mention looking for tutorials online. I just now went to youtube and found one showing how to thread your machine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQR-MSUSjLQ . It is amazing how many helpful videos can be found on youtube. Another that looks helpful is this one, even though it is about a Brother machine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uAZwg4BC-0&list=PLlRKRArBViDfRzJ66NLSHK6jPNElXepvY&index=2

< Message edited by Nananeva -- 3/8/2017 11:22:30 AM >

Neva

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 3
RE: Mizlilly - 3/8/2017 9:44:51 PM   
caaguirre

Nananeva just beat me to the punch - I think there's a tutorial on You Tube for just about everything. It might be just what you need to build your confidence enough to give the machine another try. I had a demonstration at a sewing shop today and even with their floor model machine she had troubles with some of the features so they don't always have all the answers anyway.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Nananeva)
Post #: 4
RE: Mizlilly - 3/9/2017 9:51:01 AM   
Linda S.

Thank you Neva and Carol! I went to the Babylock website and didn't find anything,
although I could have overlooked something, there didn't seem to be any useful info.
on their coverstitch machine. These days I am mentally defeated before I try with all
the new technology....it confuses me so.

And I could be imagining there is more to this than there really is. I saw a couple comments
online which said this is one of the most simple machines to use. When the sales girl tried
to give me a "lesson", it took her the entire hour to thread the machine. At that rate, I figured
I wouldn't live long enough to figure out the rest lol!

I may give it another try, thanks to the shared utube videos! If I still can't figure it out,
then I'll try the yahoo group. Thanks for the suggestion Lillian....I had no idea where to
start.

However, if anyone here is interested in a never used Babylock coverstitch machine, I'm
in the mood to sell ; ). By all reports this is top of the line, every line, in coverstitch machines.

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 5
RE: Mizlilly - 3/9/2017 10:13:24 AM   
Linda S.

Lillian, Is there a lot to learn on this machine about tension, etc? From what I've
read (but not tried), there aren't many different ways to use a coverstitch machine.
There was a definite learning curve, when I first started with a serger...but maybe
this is a different animal?

I wanted one so I could do a decent hem on knit garments. Twin needle stitching is
an alternative, but doesn't seem to have enough stretch to hold up to long wear,
or at least mine don't.

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 6
RE: Mizlilly - 3/10/2017 12:43:12 AM   
mum in san diego

Linda, before you commit to selling your machine you may want to check out this Craftsy class: https://www.craftsy.com/sewing/classes/coverstitch-basics-beyond/457833 It's currently on sale for $19.99.

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 7
RE: Mizlilly - 3/10/2017 2:15:16 AM   
mizzlilly

Although this machine has manual tensions, you rarely need to adjust them. I think my looper is set at about two, and the needles at about five. One little trick, that isn't in the manual (as I'm remembering) is to lift up on the ring on the lower part of the tension knobs, while keeping a little tension on the thread, to ensure the thread is nicely seated and properly in the tension disks. That's about as tricky as you get. There is an excellent article in Threads a couple of years ago that tells you how to finish when sewing in a circle and a few other little things... that's about ninety percent of what you need to know!

https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/My-Sewing/2016-Sewing

(in reply to mum in san diego)
Post #: 8
RE: Mizlilly - 3/10/2017 11:18:17 AM   
allgood

I love my cover stitch for hemming knits. I've had it less than a year. I took the class offered by the dealer, but I must admit I learned what I really needed to know on U-Tube. The dealer was very good about looking at the chart in your handbook and adjusting your tensions according to the chart -- it really is quite accurate on my machine. Also, if you only want two needles, be sure to take out the extra needle. That goes for regular serging too -- don't leave a needle in that you are not using. (I'm lazy about this)

I've also been tempted by this Craftsy class -- currently on sale for less than $20. It sounds a little too basic for me now, but might be just what you are looking for.

https://www.craftsy.com/sewing/classes/coverstitch-basics-beyond/457833

And one more thing. It's great for hemming wovens too. I just haven't used mine for that yet. The only thing I hesitate on is going around curves.

Good luck, whatever you do.

GH in the Midwest

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 9
RE: Mizlilly - 3/10/2017 12:21:57 PM   
Linda S.

Thanks everyone for the great tips! I appreciate them very much.

(in reply to allgood)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> Mizlilly Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote