Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

heirloom dress and lace

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> heirloom dress and lace Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
heirloom dress and lace - 3/15/2017 6:43:36 PM   
gigito4

I am making Easter dresses for my eight year old granddaughter and her 18 month old sister. For the older girl I'm using the CC Louise pattern and CC Virginia for the younger. The center of each yoke consists of an embroidered band 1 1/8 inch wide and on each side a piece of lace. The toddler's yoke has another piece of lace a little farther out. I have trimmed the fabric from behind the lace and the embroidered band. My question is- do I now line the yoke or do I leave it as one thickness so that their skin shows through the lace? Or could I line the lower part of the yoke so that it looks like they have a slip underneath? I have looked at some pictures online but I cannot see what they have done so I am calling on my experts for guidance. I am using imperial blue broadcloth and will have to make some sort of slip for the skirts. TIA

Gail
Post #: 1
RE: heirloom dress and lace - 3/15/2017 8:24:10 PM   
NormaK

I'm interested in hearing a response from those who have experience with this. I haven't been satisfied with my own solutions.

(in reply to gigito4)
Post #: 2
RE: heirloom dress and lace - 3/16/2017 4:27:48 AM   
KathyD

I typically do not line but leave the dress sheer and then put a slip underneath. I haven't used broadcloth for this, but usually will use batiste. I've also done this and used a colored slip for interest.

Here's one that I put a robin's egg blue slip underneath. The slip was broadcloth while the overdress was a checkered Swiss - can't recall the official name of it.

This dress had a blue slip under a blue dress.

Really, you could do it either way, but I tend to prefer leaving the lining off.

KathyD
http://sewing-adventures.com

(in reply to NormaK)
Post #: 3
RE: heirloom dress and lace - 3/16/2017 8:18:24 AM   
Grams Heirlooms

I don't line my dresses. However, I always make a matching slip for my heirloom dresses that way the skin does not show through the laces.

(in reply to KathyD)
Post #: 4
RE: heirloom dress and lace - 3/16/2017 1:11:36 PM   
gigito4

Thank you everyone. I thought that I should leave it unlined and put a slip underneath. I usually use batiste but the blue broadcloth matched the blue in my embroidered band so I went with it. Now I'm off to complete the dresses and make some slips. Kathy, I love all three of your dresses; they have given me some ideas for future dresses Thanks again.

Gail

(in reply to Grams Heirlooms)
Post #: 5
RE: heirloom dress and lace - 3/16/2017 1:45:19 PM   
Linda S.

Leaving the fabric behind serves to strengthen and protect the lace work, but it
changes the look quite a bit. I removed it on the garments I made using lace
like this....it just looks so much prettier, to my eye.

And besides, these dresses are for a special occasion and won't be worn everyday
and washed frequently. But if you think they might be laundered (by machine)
a lot, you might consider leaving fabric behind.

(in reply to gigito4)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> heirloom dress and lace Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote