Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

TWO FOLD QUESTION

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> TWO FOLD QUESTION Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
TWO FOLD QUESTION - 3/17/2017 1:21:22 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

Does anyone know what this lace is called and where I might find both the white lace as well as a pattern from the big 4 preferably for the white suplice
This is a picture of one of our young local priests... the altar boys at our church now wear similar attire but they are firstly IMO too short and too plain but hey
I didn't make them and have no idea where they came from but these would not be for our parish but for Ascension Parish here in Calgary where our former pastor Fr. Avi
is now pastor - Ascension parish is undergoing major renovations they likely are bursting at the seams because this parish was holding masses when my sister was going through her battle
for cancer and surgeries and chemo etc the only place I could get masses said that did not have 6 month wait was this new parish. Well since that time the church was built and many many new communities sprung up
all around and yet again - in selling phase right now are lots North of the church which will fall under Fr. Avi.s Parish. When winter is over and we get some great weather I plan to go to see Fr. Avi and his renovations and
speak to him - of course I will be checking out the attire of the altar boys. Years ago I sent a picture of very nice altar boy attire to our own Fr. Jerome - saying was it not possible to get better than what the altar servers were wearing at the time
Guess the picture sort of stuck....... now instead of dingy long white tied with coloured cord at the waist we now have black and white sort of suplices. All help is really appreciated also what would you use for the white I am wondering about white quilting cotton and as I do not quilt
have no idea seems to me the white cotton would need to be like the weight of white sheets and I am not averse to loading up on nice white sheets.
..and cutting them

Attachment (1)

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine
Post #: 1
RE: TWO FOLD QUESTION - 3/17/2017 3:07:05 PM   
Linda S.

Do you know if this is hand made or machine made? I'll look up the name in a while to see which hand
embroidered lace it most closely resembles. Various countries made their own version of
embroidered lace, which was similar but called by different names.

I have some pretty machine made lace/trim...not exactly the same, but close.

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 2
RE: TWO FOLD QUESTION - 3/17/2017 3:30:34 PM   
KarenVA

It looks a lot like Venise Lace--maybe Britex Fabrics carries it.

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 3
RE: TWO FOLD QUESTION - 3/17/2017 5:28:16 PM   
Linda S.

The closest I could guess is Hedebo lace, which is embroidered by hand....but that
won't do you any good. Or Karen might be right.

I bought some very pretty, wide machine made lace off of ebay a few years ago, so
I know it's still made (by machine).

Ebay has some pretty Venice lace. If you found some you like that isn't wide enough,
you could sew it together to make a wider width.

< Message edited by Linda S. -- 3/17/2017 5:32:31 PM >

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 4
RE: TWO FOLD QUESTION - 3/17/2017 6:22:02 PM   
Linda S.

Shirley, Check your PM's.

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 5
RE: TWO FOLD QUESTION - 3/17/2017 6:41:58 PM   
KathyD

This looks very much like the lace that all the Dutch ladies used in their windows.

http://www.heritagelace.com/store.cfm/Products/list/All-Brands/Windows/Lace-Yardage

KathyD
http://sewing-adventures.com

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 6
RE: TWO FOLD QUESTION - 3/17/2017 6:55:59 PM   
KathyD

This looks almost identical!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-yard-White-Rose-Macrame-Lace-Window-Curtain-Valance-12-Length-/222040650315?hash=item33b2a7724b:g:tu4AAOSwwpdW1zzX

Growing up in Ontario in Dutch communities, I saw lots of these beautiful lace curtains.

KathyD

(in reply to KathyD)
Post #: 7
RE: TWO FOLD QUESTION - 3/17/2017 8:23:55 PM   
Linda S.

Just brainstorming with you here. For the white robe fabric I'm assuming you want something
with a little body...maybe a bit more than broadcloth but not as much as cotton duck? Wish
I knew more about the various names for fabric. Maybe Barbara O. has some suggestions.

The Choir robes we wore when I was in church choir were ordered from somewhere and the
fabric had some synthetic fiber in it, probably so they didn't wrinkle as easily. I bet there is
a fabric commonly used for these robes, if only we knew what it was. I'd probably call Vogue
or Mood Fabrics, and find who knows.

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 8
RE: TWO FOLD QUESTION - 3/17/2017 8:35:27 PM   
Linda S.

I must have been typing when Kathy D. posted. That lace on ebay does look like a
very good match! Beautiful!

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 9
RE: TWO FOLD QUESTION - 3/17/2017 9:38:34 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

Yes that café curtain looks very close rose instead of daisy type flower BUT it is 26cm deep that is over 10 inches too big a flounce wish I had a picture of the one our own Pastor has... he found it in a drawer forgotten at the Bishops residence connected to the Cathedral... imagine anyone leaving such a beautiful garment and his was outstanding compared to the above picture... all I could do is stare during the service...... right after I nailed him - where did that come from those things sell for $300 made in Belgium.... finders keepers.... no one wanted it - WHAT "??must check if I managed to get a picture at subsequent service...

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 10
RE: TWO FOLD QUESTION - 3/17/2017 9:45:05 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

Here is Father Jerome his is all cutwork and not as fancy lace but the cutwork on hem and yokes made up for it

Attachment (1)

Post #: 11
RE: TWO FOLD QUESTION - 3/18/2017 5:16:33 AM   
Bobette

Shirley - the lace in the first picture was very common years ago. Have you checked Baltazor's in New Orleans? I'm sure some places in NYC still have that type of lace.

Fabric stores are getting down to almost none in my area - Hobby Lobby and Walmart. BUT - we are getting a new Joan's sometime this sprig just about 12 miles from me. Our Hancocks went out several years ago. So many people just don't sew any more.

Post #: 12
RE: TWO FOLD QUESTION - 3/18/2017 5:51:18 AM   
KathyD

Shirley - if you look at that first picture, the lace goes from the elbow to the wrist - I would bet that it is the 26cm/10" lace. You could do the robe from a lightweight twill fabric - that would be durable and heavier than broadcloth. I know that Fabric Finders has a white twill that is really nice. Not sure what else it could be. I do think that nice sheets would work as well.

KathyD

(in reply to Bobette)
Post #: 13
RE: TWO FOLD QUESTION - 3/18/2017 5:55:10 AM   
KathyD

There is this resource as well.

http://clergyapparel.businesshomepage.info/lace.htm

KathyD

(in reply to KathyD)
Post #: 14
RE: TWO FOLD QUESTION - 3/18/2017 8:55:56 AM   
ShirleyCalgary

I found one looking for Belgium lace from Bruge.... the surplice was made from poly cotton -what??? and over $400 Canadian
batiste would be too flimsy I am thinking mind you the altar boys of my day wore them over red cassocks and the white appeared pretty stiff - cotton sheets might be the way to go - I bought 2 top sheets years ago king size from Liz Claiborne it had royal blue embroidery across the top - never found anything to go with it... so they sit in their wrappers
Might check quilting cotton as well.

(in reply to KathyD)
Post #: 15
RE: TWO FOLD QUESTION - 3/18/2017 9:14:06 AM   
Joanne

Father Jeromes lace looks like filet crochet to me

Joanne

Post #: 16
RE: TWO FOLD QUESTION - 3/18/2017 12:09:08 PM   
Linda S.

I agree with Joanne...that looks a lot like filet crochet and Shirley could make this
beautiful lace! I've seen the lovely crochet lace you make Shirley ; ).

It could also be an embroidered lace, such as Punto Tirato or another kind of
cut and drawn work. But certainly Shirley's filet crochet is equally lovely!!!
Maybe Vada Semple has a couple hours to spare, and could join in the crochet fun? ; )
Our Vada makes beautiful crochet lace too

(in reply to Joanne)
Post #: 17
RE: TWO FOLD QUESTION - 3/18/2017 12:09:34 PM   
Linda S.

Shirley, how wide does this lace need to be???

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 18
RE: TWO FOLD QUESTION - 3/19/2017 2:43:25 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

I am thinking that 5 inches would be ok and 6 would work too and if there was a way to take a 12 inch lace b=valance and make it 2x 6 inches I would do that as well but those valances I looked at or even the café type curtains popular in Europe did not offer that option there just was no way to get 2 pieces....
I would prefer to find by the yard lace and I am still blown away that the white was not cotton but high content poly content well doubtful my memory of the altar boys I grew up with wore anything but cotton and the stiffness came from Chinese starch... just like our blouses for school..

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 19
RE: TWO FOLD QUESTION - 3/19/2017 8:56:13 PM   
raoke

There was, at one time, a great high end fabric store in Victoria, BC. It had beautiful fabric and lace. I do not know if it is still there but it may be a resource. Sorry, I do not remember the name but it was on the same street as the Hotel we went to have High Tea at.

Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> TWO FOLD QUESTION Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2017 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy