Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Seeking Opinions

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Patterns, Fabrics & Notions >> Seeking Opinions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Seeking Opinions - 3/18/2017 3:50:31 PM   
MoDo

Hello Ladies! Almost finished with my DGD's Easter dress! However, since I forgot to order entredeux (Luc was out), it seems I've run out of it . I was able to salvage some from the "Easter-dress-that-wasn't" from last year, but not enough. Now that I'm at the place where I'm supposed to put entredeux and lace around the neckline, I need to come up with something else. So, I thought I'd ask for opinions. Do y'all think it would be better to just put bias binding around the neck and call it done, or would it look nice to put some lace edging, then the bias binding? Here's the yoke (sorry about the poor photo):

I'm going to go treat myself to some ice cream while pondering this situation . All opinions are welcomed!
Post #: 1
RE: Seeking Opinions - 3/18/2017 4:14:21 PM   
Nananeva

Can you find someone with a hemstitcher? Also, my Babylock sewing machines have a stitch that when done with a wing needle, looks very much like hemstitching. Wish I were closer, MoDo, since I have an old hemstitching machine.

Neva

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 2
RE: Seeking Opinions - 3/18/2017 4:58:13 PM   
Grammie

I think I'd do the lace plus bias binding...but whatever you decide, that is one lovely dress!

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 4 to 23 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 13)!

(in reply to Nananeva)
Post #: 3
RE: Seeking Opinions - 3/18/2017 8:10:59 PM   
gillie

I'm sure I can find some in my stash and get it in the mail to you on Monday. I even have some blue and pink. Just let me know. Otherwise, I agree with Grammie, lace and bias band would be nice. Did you pintuck the yoke, it really looks nice?

Gillie

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 4
RE: Seeking Opinions - 3/18/2017 9:20:34 PM   
MoDo

Thanks for responding, Ladies!

Neva--Not only do I not know anyone with a hemstitching machine, I don't even know anyone around here that sews! I mean, there must be folk who do because I always see people buying fabric at Jo-Ann's, but no one in my circle of acquaintances has ever mentioned it.

Grammie--Lace and bias binding is surely a good option.

Gillie--Thank you for your generous offer! I don't want to put anyone out, though. I'll decide tomorrow whether to use just bias binding or to add edging lace. Yes, I did pin tuck the front yoke. I also added some pin tucks to the sleeves and on the skirt. When I finish, I will post photos. Thank you for the compliment .

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 5
RE: Seeking Opinions - 3/18/2017 10:29:26 PM   
Luzenia

MoDo can you do bias then bridgeing or faggotting stitch and lace or spaghetti bias?

Luzenia

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 6
RE: Seeking Opinions - 3/18/2017 10:41:31 PM   
Fancy Stitches

I vote for the lace and bias binding, too. That dress is beautiful. Your DGD will be delighted. You deserve another ice cream!!

Barbara

(in reply to Luzenia)
Post #: 7
RE: Seeking Opinions - 3/18/2017 11:05:40 PM   
Roxann

Lace and skinny bias binding get my vote too...easy, beautiful, and comfortable for the little one. Such a sweet confection, your pintucks are gorgeous.

< Message edited by Roxann -- 3/18/2017 11:06:28 PM >

Roxann

(in reply to Fancy Stitches)
Post #: 8
RE: Seeking Opinions - 3/19/2017 2:49:22 PM   
vpenner

Do you have Carol Ahles' book Fine Machine Sewing? She shows how to achieve the look of entredeux with a machine pinstitch...

Mother to James (36), Sarah (34), Aaron (32), Adam (29) and David (26)

(in reply to Roxann)
Post #: 9
RE: Seeking Opinions - 3/19/2017 7:39:29 PM   
MoDo

Woohoo!! Problem solved!! I was trying to find my Bible highlighter pens this morning, so went searching throughout the house. As I moved some papers around on the desk in my sewing room I found a piece of entredeux that's about 3" long!! I already had a piece about 2" long and one about 9" long, so by putting them together I should have just enough to go around the neckline!! Moral of the story: Never throw away small pieces of lace ! (Another moral of the story: Start buying lace before you need it !!!)

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions!! God is kind to me! I should have the dress finished tomorrow, then stitch up the slip. Photos soon!!

(in reply to vpenner)
Post #: 10
RE: Seeking Opinions - 3/19/2017 8:54:18 PM   
DDinDFW

Woohoo! Glad you found those tiny pieces to make it work. Beautiful

Dana, mom of two young men

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 11
RE: Seeking Opinions - 3/20/2017 6:20:14 AM   
aussie

I know one thing, I have no clue what all of you are talking about. But that is one adorable little dress and just the thought of making an "Easter" dress makes me happy. I haven't heard one person say "I am making an Easter dress" in many, many years. I think that is very sad! I don't think people in this area of the country even wear pretty items let alone sew them. Looking at the toddler/baby items in the store, not many are frilly and delicate. And the colors are awful. So I am really pleased to read this post. Since I am clueless on all these lacey terms, I will vote for another dish of ice cream. There will be one lucky little girl getting that dress.

Carol NW Ohio

(in reply to DDinDFW)
Post #: 12
RE: Seeking Opinions - 3/20/2017 11:52:27 AM   
gillie

I thought I would post this as it reminds me of the gathering question you asked. It may help with the lace to entredeux. http://www.marthapullen.com/sewing-tips/tiger-tape-tip On keeping small pieces, I use the small plastic containers that "flushable wipes came in a few years ago. I keep small pieces of lace, ribbon and pieces of piping, mostly for doll clothes. http://www.marthapullen.com/sewing-tips/tiger-tape-tip

Gillie

(in reply to aussie)
Post #: 13
RE: Seeking Opinions - 3/20/2017 12:37:14 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

Gillie many years ago one of the fabric stores we only had 2 at the time were closing shop I didn't hear about the sale until late in the game..... so I was there looking at what was left and very picked over and found this stuff on a roll made by SINGER that I had no idea what it was used for..... hey that did hot stop me from putting 2 yes 2 in my basket... it was 2 rolls of tiger tape about the diameter of a CD - yes 2 lifetime supplies and I think they were 50 cents each... how can you pass up something that costs 50 cents and it is for sewing - I just thought I will figure it out later.....
Thanks so much for posting a link on how to put this into action

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 14
RE: Seeking Opinions - 3/20/2017 2:57:13 PM   
gillie

Glad I could help, Shirley. lol You know I have one roll in my sewing machine draw, never used but I am sure someone said I needed it. Of course, I have never needed it. If I can only remember when I am sewing lace to entredeux. I don't do it much anymore as the youngest is 15.

Gillie

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 15
RE: Seeking Opinions - 3/20/2017 4:17:10 PM   
MoDo

Now that I think back, I believe it was Linda S. who told me about the taping method to keep gathers together for sewing. It helped greatly! Now that I've tried using three basting rows, though, I think it's a better solution. I can see, however, that the tape would help in situations where you don't use basting rows, as in keeping lace gathered. I shall have to give that a try. Thanks, Gillie!

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Patterns, Fabrics & Notions >> Seeking Opinions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2017 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy