Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

My DGD's 2017 Easter Dress

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> My DGD's 2017 Easter Dress Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My DGD's 2017 Easter Dress - 3/20/2017 4:35:15 PM   
MoDo

With a great big THANK YOU to all of you who made suggestions/recommendations, I present my DGD's 2017 Easter dress:

Front yoke (amazing how much thread pin tucks use!):

Fancy band (saved from last year's dress that didn't get made):

Sleeve:

Back (which looks terrible! I just can't get the hang of plackets ). And I've decided to purchase some beauty pins for the back instead of making buttonholes (which also give me a headache ):

This lavender batiste is such a pretty color! I do hope my DGD likes it! I'm now trying to decide whether to use the same fabric for the slip or if a lavender broadcloth would be better. Any advice?? Yes, I know ... I need lots of advice .

I still have two more dresses to try to make before Easter!! Yikes!!
Post #: 1
RE: My DGD's 2017 Easter Dress - 3/20/2017 5:07:05 PM   
Grammie

The dress is lovley...and if you use another fabric that does NOT have a right & wrong side, try this placket:

http://www.marthapullen.com/wp-content/uploads/Painless-Plackets.pdf

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 4 to 23 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 13)!

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 2
RE: My DGD's 2017 Easter Dress - 3/20/2017 6:07:56 PM   
MoDo

Thank you, Grammie! I recall seeing that article in one of the Sew Beautiful magazines. I was wondering if it left a fold on the right side, and, if so, how it looked (probably better than my placket ).

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 3
RE: My DGD's 2017 Easter Dress - 3/20/2017 7:04:03 PM   
gillie

Beautiful. I love doing plackets but all those pintucks would scare me to death. Great job and finished so early. I haven't started my one and only for the 16 year old.

Gillie

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 4
RE: My DGD's 2017 Easter Dress - 3/20/2017 8:24:12 PM   
KarenVA

Ahhhhh---it's just gorgeous!!!!!

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 5
RE: My DGD's 2017 Easter Dress - 3/20/2017 10:17:39 PM   
MoDo

Thank you, Ladies, you're too kind!

Gillie--Perhaps we could do swaps: I'll do your pin tucks if you'll do my plackets!

And now I'm wondering if the slip should be lavender to match or ecru to be able to be worn with other dresses. Hmmm ... Then again, how long will she be in a 3T? Decisions, decisions

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 6
RE: My DGD's 2017 Easter Dress - 3/20/2017 10:43:15 PM   
Fancy Stitches

What a beautiful dress!! You did a wonderful job. I love everything about it...the fancy band, the tucks, the sleeves are incredible. WOW!!

A suggestion for buttonholes: try digitized ones. Embroidery Library has them. I used to hate buttonholes too, but the digitized ones are great. I made seven blouses for my DGD and each one had nine buttons. Every one turned out well...even the top ones which usually messed up. I purchased each size offered and made a sampler. I can now just compare the button to the sampler to get the right size buttonhole. I haven't yet found a digitizer who has offered an heirloom buttonhole, but I really like the Emblibrary ones.

Barbara

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 7
RE: My DGD's 2017 Easter Dress - 3/21/2017 8:07:38 AM   
Linda S.

Simply stunning MoDo! Another outstanding dress joins the collection!!! The fabric
is SEW pretty and those pintucks....wowzers! Gorgeous fancy band and I LOVE the
sleeves.

Your placket looks great to me, and remember that no one but you will ever notice the
things you do. I've never made a one garment that I didn't wish I'd done something a
little different and I doubt that's ever going to change ; ). I always remember what
someone (Martha?) said about this: "No one is going to notice on a fast moving child".

As for the slip, have you considered a white slip? What color is the lace? Your slip will show
through where the lace is....and shade the color. Is the color lavender? A slip the same color
will concentrate the dress color a bit, and the lace will read slightly lavender.

(in reply to Fancy Stitches)
Post #: 8
RE: My DGD's 2017 Easter Dress - 3/21/2017 9:47:02 AM   
MoDo

Thank you, Ladies!

Barbara--How do the digitized buttonholes work? I mean, do you have to hoop the dress? Or, do you just put the fabric under the needle as usual? Or, do you have to know where the buttonholes are going to be placed and stitch them out before cutting out the pattern piece?? Wait ... that last one wouldn't work, since the facing has to be turned under during construction of the dress . Inquiring minds want to know!!

Linda--You really can't see the placket in the photo; it's absolutely horrendous . I even tried using the instructions from Sue (Pennington?) in Issue No. 78, 2001, of Sew Beautiful. Somehow it just didn't work out as well for me .

Oops! Almost forgot to answer your questions--All of the lace is white and the fabric is lavender.

< Message edited by MoDo -- 3/21/2017 9:48:38 AM >

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 9
RE: My DGD's 2017 Easter Dress - 3/21/2017 8:50:28 PM   
Fancy Stitches

I mark the buttonhole placement with a Frixxon pen. I put sticky stabilizer in my hoop and, for a child's dress with 2 or 3 buttons, it will probably need only one hooping. Pull the design into your machine and you can move your hoop/needle with the arrow buttons on your machine (you have a Viking Designer, right?) to position the needle for stitching. I do use a wash-away on top. You can also reposition each buttonhole after stitching by removing the garment from the sticky stabilizer and replacing it so it stitches on a different part of the hooped stabilizer. Try some on scrap fabric. The one thing you will need to determine is which end of the buttonhole (front or back) the stitching begins. Mine start from the front. HTH.

Barbara

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 10
RE: My DGD's 2017 Easter Dress - 3/21/2017 9:30:09 PM   
MoDo

Thanks for the information, Barbara! I will have to look into these buttonholes and see if I can figure out how they're done.

Oh, and I just found out my best friend and her family are not going to be home for Easter . So now I have to decide whether to make the dresses for her girls and get them out to them before they leave, or just say "What the heck!" and not make them at all. Oh, dear .

(in reply to Fancy Stitches)
Post #: 11
RE: My DGD's 2017 Easter Dress - 3/21/2017 9:39:08 PM   
caaguirre

You did a fantastic job, this dress is beautiful. Glad you worked out all the issues and even if you don't like the placket you've gained experience that will be useful the next time you need to make one. Congratulations!

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 12
RE: My DGD's 2017 Easter Dress - 3/21/2017 10:07:22 PM   
Nananeva

Something like this is a real challenge. As Carol says, you've gained experience and learned a lot. Congratulations! You should be proud, the dress is gorgeous...

Neva

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 13
RE: My DGD's 2017 Easter Dress - 3/22/2017 8:40:36 PM   
MoDo

Thank you, Carol; Thank you, Neva! What I should probably do is take some scrap fabric and start practice making plackets .

(in reply to Nananeva)
Post #: 14
RE: My DGD's 2017 Easter Dress - 3/23/2017 8:17:54 AM   
gillie

When I took a weekend of classes with Lezette Thomason from Children's Corner, we did a session on plackets. She is such a great teacher. We did samples for some but one we did a paper folding to get the idea. I keep that as a sample. I thing on the general placket, when you first stitch on the mail fabric, the V, at the bottom of the V about 5/8, make your stitch smaller, I use a 2. It strengthens the bottom, so when you cut, you can cut close to the bottom. This allows you to get a nice placket but sewing the strip and getting a stitch on that bottom stitch. Easier to do than explain.

Gillie

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 15
RE: My DGD's 2017 Easter Dress - 3/23/2017 7:23:42 PM   
MoDo

Thank you for that information, Gillie! I will keep that in mind on the next placket .

And now that I've received those beauty/lingerie pins, I see that they aren't quite what I needed . Might have to give those digitized buttonholes a try sooner than planned .

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 16
RE: My DGD's 2017 Easter Dress - 3/23/2017 11:39:00 PM   
vinciew

The dress is just gorgeous. You did a beautiful job. I love love love pintucks and yours are perfect. Lovely lovely dress. Your DGD will be the bell of the ball on Easter.
vincie

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 17
RE: My DGD's 2017 Easter Dress - 3/24/2017 3:02:57 PM   
Pat C.

MoDo the dress is beautiful!

(in reply to vinciew)
Post #: 18
RE: My DGD's 2017 Easter Dress - 3/24/2017 6:23:33 PM   
MoDo

Thank you, Vincie! Thank you, Pat! You are too kind

(in reply to Pat C.)
Post #: 19
RE: My DGD's 2017 Easter Dress - 4/1/2017 11:25:17 AM   
ShirleyCalgary

That dress is truly fitting the old traditional Easter Day celebrations that we have moved away from that is truly a spectacular dress... My monitor could not decide if it was pale blue or lilac.... of course maybe I should go put on my glasses that usually clears up monitor problems

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> My DGD's 2017 Easter Dress Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2017 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy