Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

I'm learning how to do ruler work!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Quilting >> I'm learning how to do ruler work!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I'm learning how to do ruler work!! - 4/1/2017 4:12:28 PM   
KarenVA

I have the Bernina #72 foot for home machines and some rulers (the Bernina set and some arcs from Patsy Thompson). Playing around is so much fun!!! I'm amazed that I can do this!!!

So, now I'm following along with this tutorial:
https://www.bernina.com/en-US/Experience-en-US/Quilting/Quilting-ebooks/Just-Quilt-It-Ruler-Work-For-Quilters

I shopped in my stash and found fabric--woohoo. I can't wait to get it pieced so I can do the ruler quilting!!

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

Post #: 1
RE: I'm learning how to do ruler work!! - 4/1/2017 10:22:34 PM   
MoDo

Sounds exciting, Karen! Looking forward to seeing your progression!

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 2
RE: I'm learning how to do ruler work!! - 4/2/2017 8:34:14 PM   
caaguirre

This is so interesting, I kind of skimmed over the first few pages of instructions to get an idea of the technique. I don't have a Bernina but I see that Nancy's Notions sells some templates for quilting that might do somewhat the same thing. So glad you've had success in this, quilting your own projects is another skill worth having in quilting expertise. What did you use as a backing on your templates to keep them from slipping?

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 3
RE: I'm learning how to do ruler work!! - 4/3/2017 7:46:56 PM   
gillie

Looks very interesting. I have a Bernina and took classes on the BSR? I can't get a top quilted except in my head. I have a draws full of Rose and Huble Flower Fairy and Bramberly Hedge fabric and the latest Flower Fairy fabric, but somehow it never gets past the thinking stage. At 78, I'm not sure it ever will. I admire and envy you quilters.

Gillie

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 4
RE: I'm learning how to do ruler work!! - 4/4/2017 4:30:28 PM   
KarenVA

I finished piecing the table topper and put the batting and backing on it. Now comes the scary part--ruler work!! I think I'll practice the concentric ovals on a practice piece first--I get wobbly on them!!

Attachment (1)

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 5
RE: I'm learning how to do ruler work!! - 4/4/2017 7:24:56 PM   
gillie

Love your choice of fabric, both color and design.

Gillie

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 6
RE: I'm learning how to do ruler work!! - 4/4/2017 8:47:25 PM   
Roxann

What an exciting new adventure! I've seen some gorgeous ruler work done with domestic machines...so much so that I too bit, and now have a set of templates, the foot, and have done a bit of practicing, but not yet tried it on a real project...working up my confidence!
The (very persuasive) lady who demonstrated the Westalee brand used a silicone sheet attached to the bed of the machine and table surround to make the quilt sandwich even easier to move. I have begun using it on all my free motion quilting and believe to eases the tension in my shoulders as well as moving the bulk of the quilt easier while stitching. Be sure to stick something on the rulers as well so they grip the fabric. Mine came with some strips of something that looks like thin rubbery shelf liner with sticky on the back. Keep us up to speed on your progress...your table runner will be perfect for a test run.

Roxann

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 7
RE: I'm learning how to do ruler work!! - 4/4/2017 9:36:44 PM   
caaguirre

Your project is so lovely, I would encourage you to practice on scrap fabric before quilting your table topper. Most of the lessons I've seen for practice layer scrap fabric, batting, and backing so that gives you something similar to use while trying out a new technique. You probably already know this, so excuse me if I'm preaching to the choir.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Roxann)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Quilting >> I'm learning how to do ruler work!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2017 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy