Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

QUESTION FOR ROSIE

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> QUESTION FOR ROSIE Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
QUESTION FOR ROSIE - 4/5/2017 10:56:08 AM   
ShirleyCalgary

About Lyme's disease and deer ticks... I have an open 2.5 acre lot - all grass except for the house/garage -
we get deer here but I understood that the way that the ticks get on or off the deer is by rubbing against a bush or tree or??? with nothing like that... well I do have Christmas like pine trees lining the driveway but the dogs do not go there
so I am wondering.... my dogs have never had a tick except when we travelled and my husband took the dog into brush.... and he got a tick -
unless of course they could be on the deer feet and rub off against a blade of grass - I am thinking that having had 4 maltese and now 2 more maltese 6-10 pounds and them never having a problem that it isn't transferred to grass.

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine
Post #: 1
RE: QUESTION FOR ROSIE - 4/5/2017 12:02:19 PM   
gillie

DH was trimming some vines over the weekend. All total that evening we found 8 ticks either on him or his clothes. Two had attached themselves to him but he was able to remove them. I called the Dr. and after much talk he finally gave him a prescription. It consisted of 2 pills to be taken with lots of liquid and to take right away. In our 40 years the most we have had in a whole season was 4. We have ordered a spray and will use something now when we garden. No high grass but we do have deer sometimes and lots of field mice. It is the same pill as you would take for Malaria. https://www.aol.com/article/lifestyle/2017/04/04/mosquitoes-ticks-summer-2017/22025526/ this site might be of help.

Gillie

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 2
RE: QUESTION FOR ROSIE - 4/5/2017 1:11:15 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

Do you drink coffee Gillie?? if so save the grounds and you can burn them near where the ticks hitched a ride...
We had never seen a tick... the one that Baxter had.... well we were sitting outside the cottage we rented and Baxter wanted up so my husband picked him up and he had the habit of sitting on his bum and leaning back so you could rub his belly scratch his neck.... well my husband was rubbing his belly and found the tick (gag gag gag now that I think about it) so he says look at this.... so I looked... well I had just given them all baths and haircuts and there was nothing on his belly just days before..... so I said looks like a skin tag same colour too flesh colour as in pink irish looking flesh... so husband is moving the thing... with his fingers and it remained attached of course otherwise you would have heard me screaming - so we take the dog to the back to the owners... they had 2 standard black poodles who always hung out in the area where husband had walked Baxter... the husband says no I have never seen anything like that. Hello for 20 years you have had dogs standard poodles in this back part of the cottage... cottage separated by garage... then owners house... dogs never came down driveway because of invisible fence so they were always in that long brush and owners sat out on their deck facing the water/brook that fed a mill - so he said take him to my vet... $50 later the tick was removed and sent to a lab for testing... negative.. my husband said here feel it it is warm just like his belly - so I said look that dog did not have a skin tag when I cut his hair before we left Calgary... naïve me... so he gets me touching the thing... it was like 1/4 inch or bigger and not black like they show in pictures

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 3
RE: QUESTION FOR ROSIE - 4/5/2017 5:17:50 PM   
Rosie

Hi Shirley, I live in suburban Maryland and we have tons of deer. They come right up to my front porch to eat my hostas. I don't know whether deer need trees or bushes to rub the ticks off. I imagine when the tick gets filled up with blood it drops off. Not every tick bite results in lyme. I think the tick needs to be attached for 48 hours before there is a transfer of any lyme disease. I have had lyme disease myself. I had weird, achy joints so I had my doctor test me. He thought it was just age, but I did have lyme. You just have to know your own body. When it's caught early, you just take a common antibiotic for 2-3 weeks and you're fine. It's when it goes undiagnosed for a time that you can have serious problems.

Post #: 4
RE: QUESTION FOR ROSIE - 4/5/2017 5:54:37 PM   
mizzlilly

There is an all natural product called CedarCide that you can spray in your yard to control all manner of biting insects, including ticks. I wouldn't hesitate to use. I saw it on Amazon, but I'm sure it's available lots of places. Ticks have only recently made inroads locally. As Rosie said, ticks have to be attached for a long time to transmit Lyme. My holistic vet said you should check yourselves and your pets when you come in from an area where ticks are found. My cousin found one on her neck! How strange is that? Her doctor gave her an antibiotic too. You can get a tick remover gizmo to remove them safely. I have one but have never used it. While Lyme is bad for dogs, it doesn't generally make them as sick as the average human cases, never mind the worst ones! Bugs are scary business...heartworm, Lyme, tapeworms, malaria....yuck, yuck and yuck!

https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/My-Sewing/2016-Sewing

(in reply to Rosie)
Post #: 5
RE: QUESTION FOR ROSIE - 4/5/2017 7:44:31 PM   
Daylily430

Sharing some very goodinformation about Lyme disease and its transmission.

First of all, it is important to understand that the deer tick is not the same as the dog tick, the deer tick being very small (about 2mm) in the nymph stage, the stage at which most people are bitten. Wearing long sleeves, & long light-colored pants limit skin exposure and provide a light canvas so ticks can be seen. Insect repellant containing DEET has become a way of life if you are spending time outside.

Here in New England, Lyme disease is a great concern with the deer population, but the white-footed mouse is also a host in the tick life cycle.

https://www.lymedisease.org/lyme-basics/lyme-disease/about-lyme/q

https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/resources/brochure/lymediseasebrochure.pdf

Ellen
Blog www.seamsandfinishes.com

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 6
RE: QUESTION FOR ROSIE - 4/6/2017 1:20:01 PM   
Penny Hal

I thought I had read that they now have a vaccine for ticks? Am I just dreaming this or is that true?

Penny

(in reply to Daylily430)
Post #: 7
RE: QUESTION FOR ROSIE - 4/6/2017 6:31:47 PM   
Rosie

I think there is a lyme vaccine, but I don't know how effective it's supposed to be.

Post #: 8
RE: QUESTION FOR ROSIE - 4/6/2017 9:13:58 PM   
Daylily430

Currently there is no vaccine available for Lyme disease, although one was developed in 1998, but removed from the market in 2002.

https://www.historyofvaccines.org/content/articles/history-lyme-disease-vaccine

Ellen
Blog www.seamsandfinishes.com

(in reply to Rosie)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> QUESTION FOR ROSIE Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread