Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

May I vent, please?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Miscellaneous] >> Miscellaneous Chat >> May I vent, please? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
May I vent, please? - 4/10/2017 3:31:51 PM   
KarenVA

My goodness, why does setting up a new computer have to be so humbling? I'm not a dummy--I've set up lots of computers and home wifis. Setting up our new laptop (HP Spectre, Windows 10) with all of the new software was a piece of cake!

So, I thought setting up the new HP Envy with Windows 10 Pro would be easy--not so. The instructions to hook up the monitor were wrong--and COSTCO concierge sent us an exchange computer bundle. When it came a few days later--same thing, nothing showed on the monitor! So, we called HP and figured out that this CPU has a special video card with its own HDMI ports--we shouldn't have tried using HDMI I or 2. Then it worked perfectly!! I had to redo the setup for Outlook because the auto setup gave us an IMAP instead of a POP3 account. AARRGGHH I couldn't find how to add a new user without a Microsoft account--it was different from the laptop. I finally GOOGLED and found the steps. Even trying to add and change the search engine was tough.

Then today I went through hoops to add a secure storage drive to our router. Who writes these awful instructions???

I feel like a NOODLE now!! Good grief!! BUT, now that all is well, the new computer is wonderful. Sheesh!!

Thanks for listening!!

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

Post #: 1
RE: May I vent, please? - 4/10/2017 8:25:28 PM   
Roxann

I feel your pain Karen....I hate changes in computers! Glad you got it all figured out and running now. I have no idea what POP3 vs IMAP even refers too!!! 🙃
Some time ago, I purchased a laptop with Windows 7 as a backup specifically for my older Bernina software. Desktop kept getting
Pop ups to upgrade to Win 10, all dismissed by us....then one night while we were asleep, the computer witch took over and upgraded to Win 10 all by herself!! Glad I had the backup laptop. I do like the ver 10 for other functions, I find it quite user friendly, just not for my old software.

Roxann

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 2
RE: May I vent, please? - 4/10/2017 11:29:23 PM   
caaguirre

I feel your pain, any time I have to make a computer change I have to psych myself up for days before attempting it. I think you did a great job, I don't know what half of that means either. I did find out (after I had installed a new monitor) that I could have Googled a "how to install" and User's Manual for it before trying and it would have eased my mind somewhat. Not the first or last time I've done something backwards. Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS to you, I stand in awe of your newly acquired expertise.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Roxann)
Post #: 3
RE: May I vent, please? - 5/26/2017 3:34:26 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

I have a new computer laptop too - it isn't Toshiba it is an ASUS I almost forgot what it is because it is over a year old... my old Toshiba is still working so I don't need to use it... I think I did put embird on it though... I gave up when there was too much to do to upgrade from Windows 8 to 10 and put it back in the drawer.

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 4
RE: May I vent, please? - 5/26/2017 5:27:08 PM   
JR

Windows 10 is not my favorite. A witch got into mine one night and I had to take it in to be cleaned up. The computer was updating and would not finish.
Lost everything. Getting tired of all these updates!! Karen, I feel your pain. Windows XP was my favorite. Don't you hate when you have used your limits on
some of the sewing software and then having to call can you give me another code. I know windows 10 has another update coming and I really dread it!!

JR

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Miscellaneous] >> Miscellaneous Chat >> May I vent, please? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2017 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy