Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

A small rant and a question

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> A small rant and a question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A small rant and a question - 4/15/2017 10:54:46 AM   
MoDo

Rant: I do believe there must be a small, metal shelf in a distant corner of Hell for whoever came up with skirt plackets . (Okay, I feel better now .)

Question: I know I've asked this before, but I need a reminder--What is the best way to finish the yoke seams on the Heirloom Party Dress? Or, I guess that could be for any dress that is made from sheer fabric where the seams show through . Any recommendations??? TIA!!
Post #: 1
RE: A small rant and a question - 4/15/2017 11:57:17 AM   
SewLynn

I assume you're speaking of working with a lightweight fabric such as batiste - which, yeah, that can be challenging.

Have you tried using a lightweight water soluble stabilizer to guide the stay stitching? Vilene type works well.

Can you French seam the yoke seams?

< Message edited by SewLynn -- 4/15/2017 11:58:58 AM >

Member since 2001.

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 2
RE: A small rant and a question - 4/15/2017 2:22:06 PM   
Grammie

Using German Interfacing helps some. And...I've been known to use a wider-than-the-seam trim over the seam on some dresses!

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 4 to 24 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 13)!

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 3
RE: A small rant and a question - 4/15/2017 6:15:49 PM   
MoDo

Thanks for responding, Ladies . I'm still working on the two Heirloom Party Dresses for my friend's girls. I'm using SheerMist (poly/cotton blend) and it's about as sheer as the cotton batiste I used for my DGD's dress. I was just trying to find a way to make the 1/2" yoke seams not so obvious when they are pressed toward the yoke. Do you think it would look bad to trim the seams down a bit and overcast them? Or, is this just a matter of "that's the way it goes" and I shouldn't worry so much about it??

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 4
RE: A small rant and a question - 4/15/2017 6:41:35 PM   
Grammie

I do trim them down to 1/8" and overcast if they are not covered by a lining. I line almost all my dresses.

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 4 to 24 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 13)!

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 5
RE: A small rant and a question - 4/15/2017 8:14:43 PM   
MoDo

Thanks, Grammie! It's a bit late to line these dresses, but now I'm wondering--aren't these dresses supposed to be sheer and let the color of the slip show through? The only dresses I've lined were the two Christmas dresses I made from a pattern in a Sew Beautiful magazine. On both of those dresses the fabric was heavier than batiste and wouldn't have been so comfortable without the bodice lining. Perhaps the seams wouldn't look too bad trimmed down and overcast with fine Madeira thread.

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 6
RE: A small rant and a question - 6/18/2017 3:36:19 PM   
mizzlilly

I think trimming them down to a consistent width and overcasting them with a fine thread should be fine. I don't go as small a an eighth...wouldn't trust myself, but 3/16" I can manage. I think the consistency is key. I usually do a second row of stitching just inside where I want to trim. This gives me a line as a guide for the trimming, and it controls the gathers, which can be inclined to movement which otherwise causes your trimming to wander...or maybe just look like it did. I think I've also done a tiny Hong Kong type finish... just the tiniest bias strip to cover that raw edge, in lieu of overcasting. If your serger does a two thread stitch, I even think that would be okay, though I have that and would still be inclined to do a sewing machine overcast as my first choice.

https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/My-Sewing/2016-Sewing

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 7
RE: A small rant and a question - 6/18/2017 3:46:34 PM   
MoDo

Thanks for the suggestions, MizLilly! I will consider this on my next HPD . I don't have a serger, so all is done with regular sewing/embroidery machine.

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> A small rant and a question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2017 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy