Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

HELP!!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> HELP!!!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HELP!!!! - 4/16/2017 10:44:35 PM   
MoDo

Ladies! I need HELP!! My DGD was a bit too active in her pursuit of Easter eggs and here is the result:

Do any of you know of a way to save this??!! I was thinking perhaps I could try to "un-stitch" all the seams and replace the lace, but I don't know if that's even possible. Looks like using lace at the bottom of the front yoke wasn't such a good idea after all .

Post #: 1
RE: HELP!!!! - 4/16/2017 11:51:59 PM   
gigito4

I think that you could "un-stitch" the arm seam a little (no more than necessary), sew a new piece of lace to the entredeux, carefully trim the old lace away, and then resew the arm seam. Most of the attachment could be done by machine, but as you near the arm, you may want to attach by hand. Also, you might want to try a more substantial, sturdier, piece of lace. I hope that this helps. The dress is beautiful.

Gail

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 2
RE: HELP!!!! - 4/17/2017 7:27:49 AM   
Grammie

Oh dear, that beautiful dress! Maybe the lace at the bottom of the yoke is for a "photo-shoot-only" kind of dress? Kids will be kids and I'm sure she didn't want to tear the lace away...my heart goes out to the child.

Hopefully you can mend it so no one will be the wiser and your little one can enjoy the dress many more times.

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 4 to 23 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 13)!

(in reply to gigito4)
Post #: 3
RE: HELP!!!! - 4/17/2017 11:31:41 AM   
Linda S.

Ooops! I would do as Gail suggests. Unstitch the bodice where it joins the arm hole and where the skirt joins the bodice,
and replace it with another lace or trim. You can fix this MoDo : ).

I had something similar happen to my daughter's Easter dress years ago, when a little friend at church grabbed her in
rough play and accidently ripped the skirt away from the bodice. Another "oops!". Thankfully the thread broke before the fabric
(Nelona Batiste) ripped.

Grammie's right too....these dresses with all the joined lace, etc. are more for "photo-op" kind of wear ; ).

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 4
RE: HELP!!!! - 4/17/2017 11:34:37 AM   
Linda S.

Another option might be to mend the tear area by hand, and place a fru-fru bow in that spot. I believe
you have instructions for how to make a bow like this, in Martha's first 'French Hand Sewing by Machine' book.
It's the thin, paperback book that's the size of a magazine.

The bow is pinned on, and removed for washing. The tear is in a good spot for one of these bows : )

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 5
RE: HELP!!!! - 4/17/2017 1:46:01 PM   
mizzlilly

What a shame, such a pretty dress! I don't have any experience to share, but you've already got expert advice! Thinking ahead though...wondering if when making in the first place...if you added a piece of silk organza behind the yoke and the lace, stitching it into the entredeaux or seam if that would provide the strength needed for normal wear?

https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/My-Sewing/2016-Sewing

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 6
RE: HELP!!!! - 4/17/2017 6:16:09 PM   
DDinDFW

I would probably layer some fine tulle, then stitch things back into the correct place through that tulle.

Dana, mom of two young men

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 7
RE: HELP!!!! - 4/17/2017 9:03:39 PM   
MoDo

Thank you, Ladies, for your recommendations. I'm just not sure if I'll be able to fix this . Here's a closer look at the damage:

I'll take time to mull over possible solutions.

(in reply to DDinDFW)
Post #: 8
RE: HELP!!!! - 4/17/2017 11:03:18 PM   
gigito4

MoDo, you can fix this. Seeing the close up, it really doesn't look that bad. Just undo the seam where the lace goes into the arm-no farther than necessary to give you some room to work. Then leave the old lace in place to hold everything together, lay the new lace over the old and zigzag it to the entredeux, being careful to keep the skirt out of the way. You may have to zigzag by hand near the sleeves. Now that you have the new lace sewn and holding everything together you can trim the old lace away just like you would trim fabric from behind the lace. Now resew the sleeve seam and everything is "good as new". I would starch the new lace. I would NOT detach the entredeux from the skirt. You made the entire dress; you can do this little patch job. Just relax and take your time.

Gail

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 9
RE: HELP!!!! - 4/18/2017 10:02:20 PM   
DonnaSewsAgain

There is an article in an old Sew Beautiful magazine by Sue Stewart on mending torn lace, and I think Gail has described the technique very well. I can't remember which issue but will try to find it. It does have photos which are helpful to visual learners like I am.

(in reply to gigito4)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> HELP!!!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote