Thank you for the encouragement, Neva.
I did a trial run with the 40 wt., and, for some reason, I seemed to be having a lot of problem with the bobbin thread coming up to the top and taking over. (It was a cotton-looking bobbin thread, not shiny, so it was easy to see that something was wrong.) I probably should have adjusted my tension by loosening the tension on the top thread. It just stitched weird. Tomorrow I shall re-thread the machine again, perhaps use a 90 embroidery needle instead of a 75 embroidery needle, and try again. First of all, I think I shall just do some regular practice sewing first, since I was even having problem stitching out the basting box.
When I did my initial run with the 60 wt. and size 75 embroidery needle everything worked like clockwork! Of course, sewing anything after 9 p.m. is usually not a good idea.
Good night! I think it's time for a good night's sleep. By the way, I'm sewing on my Viking Designer SE LE, in case that is relevant.