Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

HELP! (Continuation of 60 Wt. Thread)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> HELP! (Continuation of 60 Wt. Thread) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HELP! (Continuation of 60 Wt. Thread) - 4/30/2017 6:32:26 PM   
NormaK

Thank you very much, Ladies. I used the 65 needle, as you suggested, Carol. Everything sewed beautifully, except one shirt. I was sitting right in front of my machine listening to it sew along on the next to the slowest speed. Somehow the stabilizer had gotten stuck underneath the hoop and--on the FINAL letter--the machine ATE the shirt! This very fine 100% polyester knit shirt now has a lovely "M & M Lawn Servic" embroidered on it. Instead of the final "e" there is a hole. It is the same size as the "e". The fabric from 2" to the right of the embroidery got pulled in and through the hole in the embroidery foot. This is a dark gray heather shirt. I'm thankful I used white thread and bobbin thread, but getting the whole thing loose resulted in the hole. There is also a weak spot, with perhaps a miniscule hole, over by the sleeve seam where it was caught. This was originally a $50 shirt, although my dear friend bought it on a very good sale.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I might salvage this, apart from sewing a separately made name patch over the top of it? I'm not sure I have any iron-on adhesives that might enable me to put a patch under the area so that I might re-stitch the "e", given the fact that the shirt is 100% polyester. I left the shirt in the hoop and wrote down the coordinates from the embroidery. Any solution will have to be sturdy enough for a young man mowing lawns!

I tried to post a photo and failed; perhaps I shall try again later!

Thank you for any and all words of wisdom!
Post #: 1
RE: HELP! (Continuation of 60 Wt. Thread) - 5/1/2017 9:59:21 PM   
caaguirre

Ugh! This is why I hate embroidering ready made anything - I know something is going to go wrong and it usually does. I had this happen on the last snowflake on a t shirt and ended up making a patch by embroidering the snowflake on a piece of fabric and stitching it down over the hole. I added a couple of other patches to make the correction less noticeable so it turned out okay after all. Maybe someone else will have a better idea, but remember that lots of shirts have the logo sewn on as a patch so if you decide to do that it will be fine.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to NormaK)
Post #: 2
RE: HELP! (Continuation of 60 Wt. Thread) - 5/2/2017 12:14:29 PM   
Penny Hal

My machine knows the miniute I leave it alone and acts up. I can't get that foot to stay on!

Yesterday, the foot fell off, broke the needle, and made a hole in the project. It was only a small area for eyes, so I put some Fray Check around the edges, put cutaway stabilizer under it, and restitched it. Trimmed the cutaway and it was fine. I fear that no matter what you do, that area will always have a different feel to it.

This may or may not work for you but...Can you find some "extra" fabric somewhere in the shirt? Like in the backside of the yoke? Remove the backside of it and replace it with a poly fabric in the closest color match you can find. Maybe use a cutaway mesh stabilizer, then restitch the letter. If the letter is smaller than the hole it made I don't think this would work.

Please let us know how you solved your problem as I'm sure my machine will do this eventually.

Penny

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 3
RE: HELP! (Continuation of 60 Wt. Thread) - 5/4/2017 6:57:14 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

OK measure the screw up design then do something over it.... I had an apron screw up once the last colour outline... no way was I wasting a bib apron... what I did was a reverse applique over it - first pass the outline then I cut inside the stitching line and did a free standing lace where the screwed up design had been - either a screw up becomes an artistic opportunity or it becomes if it is a towel a auditioning fabric to test other designs .... and finally it becomes a floor rag or cleaning cloth

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> HELP! (Continuation of 60 Wt. Thread) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2017 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy