Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Ruler Work in progress

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Quilting >> Ruler Work in progress Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ruler Work in progress - 5/3/2017 7:58:17 AM   
KarenVA

Well, I finally got a chance to work on my table runner ruler-work project. Life gets in the way of fun sometimes!!

Anyway, this is the oval ruler work--front and back. I'm still learning, so some of the lines are a bit wonky and my stitches aren't all the same length (I usually do quilting with my Bernina Stitch Regulator foot). But, this is so much fun!!

This is the back of the table runner:

Attachment (1)

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

Post #: 1
RE: Ruler Work in progress - 5/3/2017 7:58:56 AM   
KarenVA

And this is the front (needs ironing):

Attachment (1)

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 2
RE: Ruler Work in progress - 5/3/2017 8:00:17 AM   
KarenVA

I was searching for something to keep my new quilting rulers from slipping--and I found this wonderful product: True Grips circles!!! They are silicone, clear, adhesive circles--about an inch in diameter. You can still see through them to see the lines on your rulers. They really do hold to the fabric so you can keep nice lines, but the rulers are not hard to reposition. (Of course, you all probably already know all about these--I'm still a total-newbie ruler quilter!! LOL)

www.nancysnotions.com/product/true+grips.do

< Message edited by KarenVA -- 5/3/2017 8:01:16 AM >

KarenVA

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 3
RE: Ruler Work in progress - 5/3/2017 8:14:38 AM   
gillie

Very interesting, Karen. I am amazed at how quickly you are getting the hang of it. I still haven't learned the basics of quilting. I think it will have to come in the next life. lol. Like the grip circles and I'd sure they can be used for other applications.

Gillie

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 4
RE: Ruler Work in progress - 5/3/2017 9:24:28 PM   
caaguirre

Thanks for the update, I was just thinking about this again the other day and planned to do a search to find your original post. I don't have a stitch regulator so am reluctant to try free motion quilting but this technique has me intrigued. Those grips are new to me too, I've used the small sandpaper dots on my rulers but would like to give these a try too. Keep us posted on your progress please.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 5
RE: Ruler Work in progress - 5/4/2017 3:30:59 PM   
KarenVA

Thanks, Ladies. I figure if I share my adventures, it won't be so intimidating for anyone else--because I'm a total newbie at ruler work. And, I'm glad I'm getting comfortable with quilting without my BSR foot--I actually like this way better! LOL I just slow my machine speed--and it feels more comfortable to use the foot pedal, too. I also just love the silicone True Grips circles!! I'm so glad I found them!

I have one more oval ruler work motif to do before I start on another ruler shape for the nine patch squares. I'll post more photos then. Wish me luck!!

KarenVA

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 6
RE: Ruler Work in progress - 5/5/2017 9:26:42 AM   
annabelle1

Hi Karen - I am very interested in the use of quilting rulers. Do you mind my asking the brand you bought?

I have a mid arm quilting machine on a frame and I think rulers might help me be more accurate. Thank you

Judy

I sew on Viking Designer Diamond, 1+, Huskylock 936 & Viking Mega Quilter

Licensed Martha Pullen Instructor; Beginning Sewing, Heirloom Sewing

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 7
RE: Ruler Work in progress - 5/9/2017 9:09:40 AM   
KarenVA

Judy, I have the Bernina #72 foot for home machines with the Bernina ruler set ( https://www.bernina.com/en-CA/Products-CA/BERNINA-products/Accessories/Longarm-quilting-accessories/Ruler-Kit-for-Sit-Down-Models ) and starter rulers from Patsy Thompson ( https://www.patsythompsondesigns.com/shop/Ruler-WorkTemplates--Supplies/p/Machine-Quilting-Ruler-Starter-Pack-by-Patsy-Thompson-x17642367.htm ).

I'm following along with this tutorial:
https://www.bernina.com/en-US/Experience-en-US/Quilting/Quilting-ebooks/Just-Quilt-It-Ruler-Work-For-Quilters

< Message edited by KarenVA -- 5/9/2017 9:44:28 AM >

KarenVA

(in reply to annabelle1)
Post #: 8
RE: Ruler Work in progress - 5/9/2017 9:16:03 AM   
KarenVA

Patsy Thompson's blog is a real inspiration for ruler work!!

http://blog.patsythompsondesigns.com/

KarenVA

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 9
RE: Ruler Work in progress - 5/9/2017 3:29:03 PM   
annabelle1

Karen thank you for taking the time to respond. I have been searching for a presser foot for my Viking Mega quilter that will allow me to get closer to the design I want to do. The foot that is with the machine is so big that it is hard to judge where I am going if that makes sense. I have called my dealer with no luck. The foot you referred to looks ideal to me and would work well with templates. My machine is mounted on a 10 foot frame and I stand to use it. It has a stitch regulator that works well. When I bought it, I didn't know how much I would enjoy machine quilting. I can't afford the huge machines, just want this one to work for me.

Thank you for the resource for the templates as well as the blog. I plan to order the templates and will continue my search for a different foot.

Thank you again. I admire the work you do. Will let you know if I find a new foot.

Judy

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 10
RE: Ruler Work in progress - 5/9/2017 6:37:39 PM   
KarenVA

Judy, would the Westalee ruler foot fit your machine?

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/ruler+foot+and+template+set.do

KarenVA

(in reply to annabelle1)
Post #: 11
RE: Ruler Work in progress - 5/9/2017 7:24:32 PM   
annabelle1

It just might work. Thank you for the tip. The site has the option to specify the machine brand to assure it will work.
Thanks so much. I will look into further.

Judy

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Quilting >> Ruler Work in progress Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread