Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Stash Downsizing

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Patterns, Fabrics & Notions >> Stash Downsizing Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Stash Downsizing - 7/12/2017 8:58:07 AM   
SewLynn

Okay ... after nearly 60 years of sewing, embroidery, upcycling, painting, etc., my sewing room is overwhelming me. I can't afford a larger one, and as much as I hate to get rid of things, I guess it's time. It may take me a little bit to get used to the idea, but when one starts buying new fabric simply because there's too much to sort through to find what one needs, well ... it's just time. I think things went over the edge when I discovered quilting might not be so awful after all.

Member since 2001.
Post #: 1
RE: Stash Downsizing - 7/12/2017 9:35:31 AM   
cnagle957

I hear you there Lynn! I have also been trying to "use up" some of what I currently have. The closet is ready to burst.
I have cut blocks for quilts and basically made up some kits for myself using as much of what I have on hand as I can. Sometimes there is a need to purchase one piece of fabric to finish but it has been a help to do the most I can with what I have on hand.

I got a few pizza boxes from a local shop and I put all of the cut pieces, binding, & backing in the pizza box with a copy of the pattern layout key that I will use.
I then label the outside of the pizza box and when the spirit moves me to start a new project I'm good to go.

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 2
RE: Stash Downsizing - 7/12/2017 6:43:12 PM   
caaguirre

This is a common problem with most of us I think. In gathering fabrics for a flannel rail fence quilt I found a whole drawerful of pink that I forgot I had. Cnagle, I should follow your example and have some cutting days so I can have projects already past that step. I'm not a big fan of cutting out so it would be easier to get going if the project is in a box all ready to go. Thanks for the tip.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to cnagle957)
Post #: 3
RE: Stash Downsizing - 7/13/2017 8:03:21 AM   
cnagle957

Hi Carol,

I could spend days just deciding what fabrics to use! And then I change my mind a million different ways, so spending a day doing nothing but cutting and making kits for myself eliminates a lot of the deciding/undeciding that sometimes makes me stall altogether. If everything is already cut I'm good to go.....it's all cut so I can't change my mind now.

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 4
RE: Stash Downsizing - 7/13/2017 1:25:06 PM   
Chere

I have not been buying much in the way of quilting cottons but am now interested in sewing with knits which I had never done so that resulted in a whole new collecting spree but I am slowing that down also unless it is something very special. I am trying to use up all my cottons and fat quarters but having a broken hip and unable to sew much for eight months has greatly slowed me down. I did give 15 plus yards to my sister recently, she doesn't have a ton of money to buy fabric and she wanted to make special pillowcases for her family. I had every theme she wanted/needed! That says I have gone way overboard!

(in reply to cnagle957)
Post #: 5
RE: Stash Downsizing - 7/13/2017 1:53:03 PM   
cnagle957

I wish I had someone close by to share with!

(in reply to Chere)
Post #: 6
RE: Stash Downsizing - 7/13/2017 10:02:21 PM   
caaguirre

Chere, I'm sorry to hear about that hip trouble, it must have been an ordeal to say the least. Sounds like you're better now and I'm glad for that. Sewing with Nancy has had some programs featuring knit sewing that made me interested in that again after many years away from knits but I've got to make a BIG dent in this stash before I buy one more piece of fabric.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to cnagle957)
Post #: 7
RE: Stash Downsizing - 7/14/2017 10:52:18 AM   
JR

My fabric is in crates but I still keep on buying. You never have that right piece!! Need to discover what a sewing machine is!! The month or more we spent in the basement
cleaning wore me out. Yesterday hubby decided he needed(sure) to power wash half of the basement out. Took me an hour to clean all the excess water up with the shop vac. Thank heavens he has
Rotary today so I can clean upstairs!!

JR

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 8
RE: Stash Downsizing - 7/14/2017 12:41:37 PM   
Chere

Just lucky that she was visiting from Michigan! Otherwise I have no one to share with either. No sewers in my family and no interest so I may be buried with my fabric!

(in reply to cnagle957)
Post #: 9
RE: Stash Downsizing - 7/14/2017 3:08:58 PM   
caaguirre

Chere, I'm in the same boat, no one sews and there's no understanding of this consuming love. I think they'll just dump everything into the trash and call it a day, glad I won't be around to witness it.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Chere)
Post #: 10
RE: Stash Downsizing - 7/20/2017 3:07:45 PM   
Linda S.

I have the same problem here. In fact, when I ask my husband to bring down my tubs from
upstairs (I can't do stairs anymore), I see fabric so old I've completely forgotten that I had
it.....I mean, I REALLY don't remember some of it and so it's as if it's new to me all over again
LOL!!! That's pretty bad, I know.

I wish I had the ambition to do what you're doing Lynn, and downsize. That way I wouldn't
feel so bad when I had to go out and buy a special piece of fabric for a project, or find what
I need. It's ridiculous here.

And I really need to start using my most special fabric I've been saving....like that 3 yards
of Spechler Vogel's finest batiste which lives under my bed so it's safe and near to my heart!
If I don't start using the "special stuff", it's just going to end up in my estate sale some day,
sold for a couple bucks! Horrible thought lol!

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 11
RE: Stash Downsizing - 7/22/2017 11:37:14 PM   
Roxann

Yes, I'm right there with all of you. I don't have much in the way of expensive heirloom fabrics and laces, but....oh the quilting fabrics!
I donated a dozen very full boxes last winter, but still have a ton more...I guess some quilter will be delighted when she comes to my estate sale!
Linda, your post reminded be of a box of heirloom treasures I purchased from an estate...I used her exquisite Swiss batiste to make the wedding handkerchiefs for my sons bride, her bridesmaids, the moms and grandmoms. I gotta believe that the original owner would have been happy to know her stash provided such treasures!

Roxann

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 12
RE: Stash Downsizing - 7/27/2017 12:56:10 PM   
Linda S.

Roxann, I love going to estate sales and auctions, and finding a nice piece of batiste
like you found is the thrill I'm always hoping for. But when I start looking at the fabric
or sewing supplies...that someone so obviously loved, I can't help but feel a little sad.
I'm buying leftover dreams of a sister sewist. And so, I do try to handle them with
respect.

I would feel good about transforming the beautiful fabric you found, knowing the original
owner would be pleased.

(in reply to Roxann)
Post #: 13
RE: Stash Downsizing - 7/27/2017 10:14:09 PM   
SewLynn

Oh My Gosh ... "leftover dreams of a sister sewist" ... yes. I have been the recipient of some of my friend's relatives' stash ... and while some of the fabrics are exceptional - especially the linen that was brought home from a trip to Ireland, I do find that a bit sad. In fact, that happened a couple of years ago, and I am determined to sew the fabric up in my lifetime!

Member since 2001.

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 14
RE: Stash Downsizing - 8/7/2017 8:17:05 AM   
aussie

I have to add my two cents on this topic. I know exactly what you all are talking about. I am sewing like crazy for charity to use this fabric. Probably 99% has been given to me, so someone paid a hefty price for this stuff and I will be darned if I will throw it away. But a church lady gave me some flannel that belonged to her mother. The church lady is in her late 80s, so you know how old this flannel is. I opened it up, a beautiful aqua with tiny flowers and yellowed all over, all the folds, the edges, wherever air got to it, it turned yellow. I think there is about 4 yds of this fabric. So I got out the oxy stuff and soaked it. Didn't budge it. I tried soaking in detergent, nothing. So I decided good ol Clorox. Kill or cure. If it fades the print, so be it, I will use it as batting in baby quilts. A dab of Clorox in the kitchen, filled with hot water and plunked that fabric in that. Wasn't 15 minutes, not a speck of yellow on that fabric. Rinsed it out, hung it ouseide on the clothes line and it is like it just came off the bolt. The price tage on this flannel was 99 cents a yard. What is amazing, it doesn't look like cheese cloth either. No holes, no loose fibers, nothing. It is just beautiful. Will make some really pretty sleepwear for toddlers. The difference in the fabric of today and yesterday. So I am happy to have a stash of the old stuff.

Carol A
NW Ohio

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 15
RE: Stash Downsizing - 8/7/2017 10:57:20 PM   
caaguirre

I'm going to have to remember this tip about bleach, thanks for sharing. Good to see you back, Carol. I hadn't seen you post in such a long time I was just going to email you to see how you're doing.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to aussie)
Post #: 16
RE: Stash Downsizing - 8/17/2017 7:38:31 PM   
Janice

Ladies, I was overwhelmed by my ridiculously excessive sewing supply/fabric stash. I found a great group, Smocking Destash, which is basically an on-line garage sale. You can buy and sell and there are no fees except for postage. You can find out of print books and patterns, gorgeous fabrics--I just sold about 50 yds. of my beloved Liberty tana lawn for $15 py! I've just posted a blog about this group and how to join--again there is no fee. But it's a facebook group so you have to have a facebook account. Read all about it here. the only catch is that in my effort to destash, I have actually bought about half as much as I have sold. But I've re-homed fabric I will never use and picked up some more to the liking of picky little dgd Vivian Rose. Do read my blog for more infoand check it out.

Janice
www.janicefergusonsews.com

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 17
RE: Stash Downsizing - 8/17/2017 10:39:49 PM   
SewLynn

Janice, I joined that group months ago, but the 'rules' for posting things for sale still perplex me.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to Janice)
Post #: 18
RE: Stash Downsizing - 8/17/2017 11:08:03 PM   
Janice

SewLynn, just read through the rules and set your album. After that, you can "bump" one item per day by posting a comment under one of your for sale items. Say something like, "This pattern would make a sweet Christmas dress." and then that item will go to the news feed. When someone comments that they want it, you click on Like below their comment so they know you are aware of their request. The buyer should send you a PM with her paypal info, you send her a n invoice and when she pays, you mail it off. Once it is sold, you drag that item to the bottom of your album, behind the sign (which is in the files) that says something like "Everything beyond here is sold." I will be happy to help you every step of the way--not because I'm a nice person but because I'm dying to see what you have to offer I hope this link works to get you to my album which you could use as a template.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.1041624079245601&type=3https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.1041624079245601&type=3

Janice
www.janicefergusonsews.com

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 19
RE: Stash Downsizing - 8/18/2017 6:44:05 PM   
MoDo

I'm in the Smocking Destash group and also the SewItsForSale group. Amazing how many fabrics are for sale through these groups that I've never seen sold in my area! I'm going to have to destash my own stash to make room for all the new stash I've been buying .

(in reply to Janice)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Patterns, Fabrics & Notions >> Stash Downsizing Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2017 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy