Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

8 yo's first smocked dress

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Smocking >> 8 yo's first smocked dress Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
8 yo's first smocked dress - 8/5/2017 1:51:31 AM   
Janice

And she loves it!!! I helped a young mother with the first dress she had ever made and it included a ready-smocked insert. We worked together at a family vacation in the NC mountains every evening after the children were in bed. But before we got to the hemming lesson, we ran out of time. Long story--read it here--but on our last day, this little girl was sooooo excited about her too big, unhemmed but smocked dress, that she begged to wear it for our outing to visit a camp for her and her brother next summer. She was so careful that she didn't get a spot on it, even while eating an enormous ice cream cone. It just warmed my heart to see this little girl loving smocking and her new dress so much.

Attachment (1)

Janice
www.janicefergusonsews.com
Post #: 1
RE: 8 yo's first smocked dress - 8/5/2017 5:25:45 AM   
aussie

That is just beautiful, no wonder she is smiling ear to ear! It is great that her mother has the interest and has someone to teach her. I took my serger out to the repair shop and it is in a tiny town 10 mi west of me. He is retired and just putters with repairs now. Usually at this time of the year, he has machines setting all over from the schools. He gets them all cleaned and adjusted for the school year. My school district gave up sewing years ago so I was pleased to see the rural schools still taught it. When I went out there last week, no machines on the floor! He said the rural schools have now quit teaching sewing! Talk about a sad day.

Carol NW Ohio

(in reply to Janice)
Post #: 2
RE: 8 yo's first smocked dress - 8/5/2017 7:35:09 PM   
Janice

Thanks, Carol. What a disappointing decision those schools have made. Sewing is like cooking--everyone needs to do it sometime! And a sewing machine is like a stove. Everyone is going to need one, no matter how basic. This child's mother confessed that she ordered several pairs of pants on sale that she loves, but they are too long. It's been about a year but she hasn't gotten them to the dry cleaners to hem because they want $20 per pair. That's more than she paid for them. Once we have our hemming lesson, she will have more pants, If only she had had a sewing class. 8 yo Aliya is eager to sew so she will be included in our next sewing lesson. Well, at least that makes two more who can hem.

Janice
www.janicefergusonsews.com

(in reply to aussie)
Post #: 3
RE: 8 yo's first smocked dress - 8/5/2017 8:02:46 PM   
MoDo

Cute dress, cute girl, wonderful "teacher", Janice .

(in reply to Janice)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Smocking >> 8 yo's first smocked dress Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote