Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

teaway stabilizers

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> teaway stabilizers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
teaway stabilizers - 8/7/2017 8:37:08 PM   
Penny Hal

I have some OESD clean tear away stabilizer...which does not tear cleanly at all. It sort of pulls apart like a kleenex. Has anyone else had this experience with this product?

Penny
Post #: 1
RE: teaway stabilizers - 8/8/2017 1:16:32 AM   
mizzlilly

I've had some OESD tearaway that didn't tear away nicely at all! I also have some Floriani Stitch and Tear (I think that's the name) and it is the same as Perfect Stick, but without the sticky part. It is a soft sort of tearaway. I usually spritz it to remove it as it is easier. It is then rather like a wet Kleenex. It's because it has both soluble and insoluble fibres...so some fibers dissolve, allowing easy removal...other fibres remain to support the stitching. But I've no idea if your stabilizer is at all like this. Certainly that's not what you'd expect from a plain tearaway.

https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/My-Sewing/2016-Sewing

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 2
RE: teaway stabilizers - 8/8/2017 11:04:34 AM   
ShirleyCalgary

I have several old packages of tear away bought at Fabricland.... it is exactly like a Kleenex.... I used it on some dark towels a very long time ago.... it was like washing something when someone has left a Kleenex in the pocket all the stabilizer under and at the back of the design make one hell of a mess all over the towels.... I was fit to be tied and never used that stuff again.... I think that it was UNIQUE brand... that brand is sort of like DRITZ they make lots and lots and lots of sewing notions from pins to buttons to you name it including that no slip stuff for toddlers slippers and snaps the metal sew on ones and hooks and eyes... all really good products but when they dabbled in stabilizer well disaster.

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 3
RE: teaway stabilizers - 8/12/2017 12:47:22 PM   
Penny Hal

Well, I cut out a piece of older tearaway/washaway stabilizer that I never used (not OESD's) because it too did not tear cleanly when I tried to tear it and I stuffed it in a cupboard. So, after reading Shirley's post, I cut a big piece of it out and put it inside a pocket that I made out of fabric and stitched it closed...and sure enough, there was a klenex blizzard inside the pocket! What a mess!!! I have a whole new sympathy for you, Shirley, and have no clue how you removed it from your towels. Thanks for yourwarning post!

Now, what do I do with this stuff? Don't want to wash it away in the sink or washing machine as it'd probably clog the drains. Maybe use it for a stuffie?

Penny

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 4
RE: teaway stabilizers - 8/12/2017 5:31:30 PM   
Penny Hal

Ok, how does this sound to you...use it as stabilizer in a quilt that's closely quilted? The fluff would just stay inside and not get out and just make the quilt look fluffier? Or wad up and make lumps? Hmmm...will need to experiment more.

Penny

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 5
RE: teaway stabilizers - 8/12/2017 5:57:46 PM   
mizzlilly

The only thing I can think of is to use it for greeting cards...if you ever make them. Or other embroidered paper that will never be washed. Otherwise I'd just throw it out!

https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/My-Sewing/2016-Sewing

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 6
RE: teaway stabilizers - 8/12/2017 6:16:40 PM   
caaguirre

What a disappointment to buy a product that is as inferior as this one. Do you think OESD would take it back? It wouldn't hurt to contact them with details of your experience to see what they say. If no one ever tells them, they might not know the problems. There might be some projects you could use it on if the inside doesn't matter or is covered up. I have several store-bought garments with embroidery where they left it all in the design area anyway. The fuzzies eventually washed away.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 7
RE: teaway stabilizers - 8/12/2017 10:58:59 PM   
Penny Hal

It wasn't an OESD stabilizer that caused the klenex flakes, but the OESD "clean tear" stabilizer doesn't tearaway cleanly. I'm having better luck with the Florini tearaway. I find if the stitches on the edge of the design are more dense, the cleaner it tears. But I think all of them leave some fuzzies behind.

Penny

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> teaway stabilizers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll