Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

A new dress for my DGD

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Children's Construction >> A new dress for my DGD Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A new dress for my DGD - 9/4/2017 12:08:48 PM   
MoDo

Hello Ladies! Please indulge me in this rather long post, but I am just so excited!!

Many of you probably know Maggie Bunch. She recently gave a class over on Facebook called "Bee Garden". Using pique fabric, we stitched a "honeycomb" then made bullion honeybees. What a wonderful experience trying something totally new! Before I show you the finished product, I just must share a story of what happened along the way .

Just a week or so before the class, I purchased this Daisy Kingdom fabric from a woman in the Sew It's For Sale group on FB:

Notice the yellow gingham pattern? Well, I decided to purchase some yellow gingham fabric to use as the contrasting fabric for the pattern. I wasn't really happy with it, though, because it was a poly/cotton blend and just didn't feel as good as the cotton fabric. Also, the yellow was much brighter than the Daisy Kingdom fabric's and the checks were larger. What was I to do ? Go to lunch, of course ! As I was finishing lunch, I kept thinking I should stop in at the local thrift store--they always have nice patterns available at a ridiculously low price. But, then I knew I really should get home and get this dress made before I leave Tuesday. As I drove I just couldn't get that little voice out of my head that was telling me to stop at the thrift store! So, I figured I'd just run in real quick to the sewing and craft aisle, check for patterns and get home. That's when it happened!!! As soon as I arrived at the aisle it hit me--a fabric with a pattern I recognized!! And here it is:

Okay, now can someone calculate for me the odds of me finding, in my little town thrift store, a yard of fabric that is the coordinating fabric to the one I purchased from a woman across the U.S. from me? A fabric that dates back to 1994! I don't believe in luck or coincidences! God is good to me!!!

So, now I have the perfect fabric to add to my little dress. So without further ado, here is the final product:

I'm kind of wishing I would have used the coordinating fabric for the back yoke, but I guess it's all right the way it is:

A closer photo of the honeycomb and bullion bees I learned to do in Maggie's class:

I can't wait to try these bees on another garment! I do so hope my DGD will like this dress!!!!

< Message edited by MoDo -- 9/4/2017 12:09:57 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: A new dress for my DGD - 9/4/2017 12:18:15 PM   
Bobette

God was sooo good to you. That is unbelieveable. Such a cute dress.

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 2
RE: A new dress for my DGD - 9/4/2017 1:01:38 PM   
Grammie

Miraculous find! The dress is delightful...of course, she will love it!

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 4 to 24 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 14)!

(in reply to Bobette)
Post #: 3
RE: A new dress for my DGD - 9/4/2017 4:57:43 PM   
caaguirre

See, that fabric was just sitting there waiting for you. I've learned to pay attention to that still, small voice because it means something. The dress is delightful and I'm so glad you got to use your new found skill as an embellishment. Congratulations, I share your joy in each step along the way in the creation of this project.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 4
RE: A new dress for my DGD - 9/4/2017 9:12:16 PM   
Fancy Stitches

I loved your telling of your delightful "find," Barbara. Wow!! Don't resist that small voice!! And the dress is wonderful...I love it. You did such a good job on the honeycomb and the bees. They are so cute!

Barbara

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 5
RE: A new dress for my DGD - 9/4/2017 9:32:37 PM   
MoDo

Thank you, Ladies! I am still dancing . I'll let you know what my DGD thinks of it!

(in reply to Fancy Stitches)
Post #: 6
RE: A new dress for my DGD - 9/6/2017 12:06:11 PM   
gillie

Just perfect and I love the honeycomb and bees. I'm sure she will love the dress.

Gillie

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 7
RE: A new dress for my DGD - 9/6/2017 7:38:25 PM   
SewLynn

Adorable, adorable dress.

As many who've known me for the past several years, I have an addiction to Daisy Kingdom fabric. Although ... my grandgirls have outgrown some of the younger designs that I never quite got around to sewing up ... and I plan to sell them off later this year. Maybe etsy, or ebay, or one of the Facebook groups - I'm still figuring that part out. There is no way I could ever sew up in my lifetime all of the fabric that I have!!! I need to downsize as I plan to move come Spring 2018.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 8
RE: A new dress for my DGD - 9/6/2017 9:43:23 PM   
DonnaSewsAgain

It's just perfect! What a sweet story, too! Thank you for sharing it and the photos!

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 9
RE: A new dress for my DGD - 9/6/2017 10:15:35 PM   
MoDo

Thank you, Ladies ... you're all so kind .

Lynn--Please let me know when you plan to sell your Daisy Kingdom fabric!! I have many Daisy Kingdom patterns just waiting to be used .

(in reply to DonnaSewsAgain)
Post #: 10
RE: A new dress for my DGD - 9/7/2017 12:36:29 AM   
SewLynn

MoDo - if you are looking for specific fabrics, send me a message and I'll see if I have any of what you "need" ;-).

P.S. ... I'm more interested in finding a good 'home' for the DK fabrics that were from the original DK manufacturing days than I am in making 'big bucks' on them.

< Message edited by SewLynn -- 9/7/2017 12:39:17 AM >

Member since 2001.

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 11
RE: A new dress for my DGD - 9/7/2017 11:34:13 PM   
MoDo

PM sent.

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Children's Construction >> A new dress for my DGD Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2017 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy