Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

What is everyone working on?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> What is everyone working on? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What is everyone working on? - 9/13/2017 12:35:42 PM   
Linda S.

I'm just itching to sew now, since my summer gardens are about to go to bed for the
winter. All summer long I dreamed of sewing, but those dog gone weeds wouldn't let
me lol! Then came the avalanche of green beans, tomatoes, etc. etc. that kept me away
from my sewing.

Now my problem is figuring out what to sew next. Then there is that UFO pile calling my
name. Decisions, decisions lol!
Post #: 1
RE: What is everyone working on? - 9/13/2017 1:34:48 PM   
SewLynn

September:
1) Birthday dress for my 6 yo granddaughter.
2) Fly front zipper replacement on a pair of ... yes, who wears a size 0/1? Yup, this customer does ... jeans with a 3 1/2" long zipper that had to be special ordered.
3) Finish up a UFO nightgown I started a couple or three or four (?) years ago and the neckline came out hugely gaping.
4) Maxi dress for the 7 yo granddaughter.

October:
5) Repair the lining in my son-in-law's leather jacket.
6) Christmas Dresses for all of the girls (4).
7) Revisit the muslin for a dress for my daughter - this will be effort #4 - she's petite, but has a larger than average ribcage (without the bustine to match), and large shoulder blades. I've been able to manage it in the past, but this New Look pattern is just not right for her body, but she ... still at age 42 ... believes mom can create miracles ... so ... we will try one more time. And yes, see #2 - she is built much like her mother. RTW fitted garments do not fit her ... yup ... much like her mother.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 2
RE: What is everyone working on? - 9/13/2017 2:53:59 PM   
MoDo

While I'm visiting my son and his family, I'm going to assist my DIL in making a reversible jumper for my DGD. My DIL will be following the steps as I make one, so my DGD will end up with two of them.

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 3
RE: What is everyone working on? - 9/13/2017 5:26:20 PM   
caaguirre

Still working on flannel pjs for myself using fabric that's been in my bin longer than forever. I'll be glad to have them in a couple of months when it finally gets cold here in SoCal.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 4
RE: What is everyone working on? - 9/13/2017 5:50:34 PM   
aussie

Making sleepwear for children to send to Texas next month. Putting Christmas designs on many of them as it will be approaching Christmas when they get them. All sizes, boy and girl, whatever the fabric dictates.

Carol NW Ohio

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 5
RE: What is everyone working on? - 9/13/2017 6:22:46 PM   
slowstitcher

Finished and sent lined curtains to nephew in Cali. Working "here and there" on a quilt that I am tired of looking at.
I'd really like to sew flannel pj bottoms but I'm just not sure how to sew the elastic to fit.
Do you subtract 2" from the waist and then overlap and sew? And I don't want it to twist.
How do you prevent that?

(in reply to aussie)
Post #: 6
RE: What is everyone working on? - 9/13/2017 10:03:09 PM   
caaguirre

I've made more pj bottoms than I can count and the way I do it is to cut non-roll elastic to fit my waistline and then sew the ends to a scrap piece of fabric as Nancy Zieman has taught so many times. If you're concerned about twisting in the casing, you can stitch in the ditch in each vertical seam line to hold the elastic in place. Here's Nancy's Blog on the technique - http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/sewing-general/the-absolute-easiest-way-to-sew-elastic-to-a-waistline/

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to slowstitcher)
Post #: 7
RE: What is everyone working on? - 9/14/2017 12:45:59 PM   
vpenner

I've been working on a jumper/blouse for my great niece. I had just gotten them cut out and marked when my mother-in-law passed away. In the two months since then we've been immersed in the aftermath (mainly, cleaning out the house) I've managed to get the jumper sewn, minus the buttons/buttonholes and only because it's a CC Marie and quick to put together. I'm planning on getting the blouse sewn together (from CC Morgan) before the weekend (when we're getting the last of the house cleaned out). In addition, I've got two quilts to put together--quilt tops finished, backing and batting purchased and ready to go, three quilt tops ready to be sewn, one quilt top planned, partially cut out and in need of a few more fabrics to fill it out and several children's projects cut out and ready to sew. Plus, I usually get requests from my children and find a project I must create in between my currently planned projects. I figure none of my projects are going anywhere and there is no definite deadline (except for the fact that I need to finish Abigail's outfit before she outgrows it!), so if life (or in the case of MIL, death) happens, it's not the end of the world if something is delayed.

Mother to James (37), Sarah (34), Aaron (33), Adam (29) and David (27)

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 8
RE: What is everyone working on? - 9/14/2017 3:39:06 PM   
caaguirre

vpenner, I'm so sorry about your mil, hope she had a long, nice life. Wow, I'm in awe of your productivity, makes me realize I need to get up and get moving myself. My head is spinning with projects I want to make but I spend way too much time on other things (like the computer) instead of in my sewing room.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to vpenner)
Post #: 9
RE: What is everyone working on? - 9/14/2017 7:35:01 PM   
slowstitcher

Carol, thank you for the link to Nancy's technique. I will try that. I'm having a hard time understanding why the elastic wouldn't
turn/flip around the fashion fabric.

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 10
RE: What is everyone working on? - 9/14/2017 8:39:27 PM   
Linda S.

Slowstitcher, When I make pants with elastic waist, I fold the fabric over to make
a casing and thread the elastic through. As someone suggested, if you stitch through
the elastic at the side seams it doesn't roll. I wear mostly elastic waist pants now so
have done this a lot.

As for the elastic being the right size, I don't have a lot of experience with sewing for
others this way and when I have, they tried them on. A lot depends on how tight one
wants the elastic to be too. I wonder if it might be a good idea to use a draw string
attached to the ends of the elastic, near the front (but inside the casing)? I've done
it this way before, and it makes the elastic adjustable. You only need to make a couple
of button holes in the front of casing, on either side of the middle seam....to thread the ends of
your cord through. I've used shoe strings for the cord that ties...works well and comes
in quite a few colors.

(in reply to slowstitcher)
Post #: 11
RE: What is everyone working on? - 9/21/2017 3:11:06 PM   
Linda S.

Carol, a big THANK YOU!!! for posting this link for Nancy Zieman's way of putting in elastic.

I have one pair of dress pants that are constructed using this method, and I've stared at those
pants for a long time trying to figure out how this was done! So simple, I could kick myself LOL!

Anyway, I am short waisted and have an issue with abdominal pain which makes it hard to find,
or make, a pair of slacks that fit but don't hurt my tummy. For some reason, Nancy's method of
putting in elastic makes the fit perfect for me....fits and is snug enough, but not binding on the
tummy.

Nancy's method also produces an elastic waist that doesn't look like elastic...it's a little dressier
look. Don't know how I've managed to sew all these years, be a fan of
Nancy Zieman and miss this one, but I did lol! And so I thank you again!!!! Very grateful for this.

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 12
RE: What is everyone working on? - 9/23/2017 1:09:47 PM   
MoDo

Returned from my visit in West Virginia. Here is the reversible dress my DIL made:
(top is Pokemon Balls [I have no idea ] and below the moons glow in the dark)

And, here is the one I made:
(top is corduroy and below regular cotton)

This was a lot of fun, and both my DIL and I learned a few things about making reversible dresses!

< Message edited by MoDo -- 9/23/2017 1:11:14 PM >

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 13
RE: What is everyone working on? - 9/23/2017 2:27:04 PM   
Grammie

Those are adorable, MoDo...I love those simple, straight lines on sweet little girls.

I am working on Halloween treats for my grands school classes. Don't have numbers yet, but I've started anyway!

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 4 to 24 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 14)!

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 14
RE: What is everyone working on? - 9/23/2017 3:45:26 PM   
Linda S.

MoDo, These are DARLING jumpers! You manage to find the cutest fabric prints and the
rick rack is sew cute! I know one little girl who will be well dressed this fall.

And wow...your daughter-in-law is a fast learner! Of course, she does have a good teacher : ).

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 15
RE: What is everyone working on? - 9/23/2017 4:58:22 PM   
MoDo

Thank you, Grammie! Thank you, Linda! The fabrics are all from JoAnn's! Can you believe it?! The only trouble my DIL has is she's afraid of getting pricked by pins and needles . I told her it's pretty much unavoidable when you sew. I do hope she'll try making some more of these cute little jumpers on her own.

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 16
RE: What is everyone working on? - 9/23/2017 6:46:16 PM   
caaguirre

What fun to have a sewing buddy, and such cute results from your fun. Glad you got to do this together and made this memory.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> What is everyone working on? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2017 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy