Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Making a Rug from home dec fabric

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Home Decor & Crafts >> Making a Rug from home dec fabric Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Making a Rug from home dec fabric - 10/19/2017 12:52:02 PM   
Linda S.

Last night I saw THE prettiest, coolest tapestry type fabric at Hobby Lobby. I
just love their selection, and one in particular is calling my name. It's almost
heavy enough to be a rug...so that got me thinking.

I found this one tutorial on how to make a rug from home dec. fabric and
it seems like a good idea.

Well shucks. I can't get the link to paste, but I did see at least one good
tutorial on how to do it. They just used a layer of non-slip, rubbery rug material
on the bottom, batting in the middle and of course the home dec. fabric on top.
It's bound on the edges like one would bind a quilt, by machine.

Has anyone ever made one of these?
Post #: 1
RE: Making a Rug from home dec fabric - 10/20/2017 2:47:38 PM   
Linda S.

Are there any quilters here who would like to weigh in? I'm wondering if I can even sew through
all those layers. The tutorials show just 3 layers, the top (tapestry weight fabric), batting, and the
non-slip rug material on the bottom.

But I really think it needs another layer of something, maybe
even just muslin, to go over the batting and beneath the non-slip stuff. Otherwise, it seems like
the batting would surely work it's way out through those huge spaces (in the non-slip).

If I do a binding, like for a quilt binding on the edge, do you think I'll be able to sew through that
much thickness? I don't want to buy all this stuff and find out I can't. TIA.

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 2
RE: Making a Rug from home dec fabric - 10/20/2017 4:00:30 PM   
caaguirre

I haven't seen the tutorial but I don't see why you couldn't construct it in the same way as a quilt, fabric, batting, backing, and binding and then attaching the non-slip material to the back. It's such a nice idea and would be so pretty. Sewing through the quilt or binding layers is no problem, quilters do it everyday. I you want to sew through the non-slip you probably need a bigger needle to penetrate the plastic but I think sewing through it might weaken it at that seam line so I'd glue it on or attach it some other way. Have fun, there are so many beautiful home dec fabrics out there now.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 3
RE: Making a Rug from home dec fabric - 10/20/2017 4:08:21 PM   
Linda S.

Thanks for your input Carol. The top fabric is pretty thick, and the non-slip later is
a rubbery type material if it's what I think it is. I've purchased some before, and
could never get it to stick to the rug. That was before "googling" though. lol.

But maybe I could find some other way to attach the non-slip layer. When I tried
it before, years ago, I used hot glue which didn't hold. It was supposed to be just
lain on the floor under the rug, I think...and the rug slipped right off.

Do you agree with me, one would have to use some kind of fabric on the bottom
after the batting layer? (like we would construct a quilt) The tutorials didn't suggest that,
but I can't imagine batting being exposed and holding up (with just the non-slip stuff over it).

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 4
RE: Making a Rug from home dec fabric - 10/20/2017 5:56:43 PM   
caaguirre

Yes, I do agree that a backing fabric is a good idea. Also, I would use a batting that isn't too puffy, maybe something like the Warm products or even possibly a fleece batting. The fleece type comes in an iron-on which might be useful for this type of project. I don't have a suggestion for a glue but there must be something available, maybe someone else will have a suggestion. Otherwise, as you said, Good Ole Google!

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 5
RE: Making a Rug from home dec fabric - 10/21/2017 12:45:11 PM   
Linda S.

Thank you Carol. A fusible felted type batting does sound like the good idea.
I think I've used that for bag construction and it might work great for this too.

I just need to get going on this and stop thinking lol!

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 6
RE: Making a Rug from home dec fabric - 10/21/2017 11:50:47 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

Another option is not to attach the rubber backing but to use another fabric... often the rug is just the rug and you put the rubber backing on the floor by itself... I don't know how easy it would be to attach as part of the package might be easier after it is all assembled to attach the backing if you go that route and maybe even by hand...
with the rubber you will need a special sewing needle like you would use on construction or embroider on painters drop sheet type canvas the old fashioned kind. Sorry cant think what those needles are called Schnetz makes them and likely also Klasse

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 7
RE: Making a Rug from home dec fabric - 10/21/2017 11:51:10 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

MICROTEX - IS WHAT THEY ARE CALLED.

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 8
RE: Making a Rug from home dec fabric - 10/22/2017 3:53:13 PM   
Linda S.

Thanks Shirley. After giving this some thought, it makes perfect sense to attach the
non-slip layer after the "rug" has been completed. If I sewed it on while attaching
binding, or even before, the stitches would only catch infrequently anyway since it
has such big holes in it.

I should have thought of this before lol!

I use microtex needles when sewing on wovens. They have very sharp points. Now
some say that's not the best idea, but it was a couple years ago lol!

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 9
RE: Making a Rug from home dec fabric - 10/22/2017 4:51:49 PM   
DDinDFW

I have never attached the non-slip stuff to the rug, but rather just put the rug on top and - I guess - gravity kept it there. If I were making this, I would at least give that a try before spending the time to attach it. You can always attach it later if necessary. That way I use the non-slip stuff over and over while I sometimes change out the rug for various seasons, etc.

Dana, mom of two young men

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 10
RE: Making a Rug from home dec fabric - 10/22/2017 5:22:15 PM   
caaguirre

My dealer sold me some 206 x 13 Size 14 needles when I needed to sew a Carpenter's apron for a friend. It was made from duck cloth but the shoulder straps and back closure straps were made from a very heavy duty strapping. Those needles allowed my Janome 10000 to sew through all those layers like butter. You probably won't need that extra heavy duty needle but they would allow you to use even a canvas backing or type of painter's drop cloth for your rug back (before the non-slip) if you choose.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to DDinDFW)
Post #: 11
RE: Making a Rug from home dec fabric - 10/22/2017 6:57:28 PM   
MoDo

Carol--Is your non-slip stuff a special brand? I've purchased some that is supposed to go under throw rugs and they never work . The rug slides all over my hardwood floors.

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 12
RE: Making a Rug from home dec fabric - 10/23/2017 4:24:03 PM   
caaguirre

Hi MoDo, It's been too many years since I've made rugs for me to remember what I used for non-slip. I'm sure there are better products available now anyway. I don't see why that rubberized shelf liner wouldn't work just fine. I have a square of it under my machine's foot pedal and it keeps the pedal from walking around when I'm sewing. Also a piece of it under the machine itself so there's no movement there either. I love that stuff!

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 13
RE: Making a Rug from home dec fabric - 10/23/2017 6:09:10 PM   
Linda S.

Carol, THANKS for the needle tip! I'm going to see if I have one that size, and if not I'll
purchase one. You're right, having the right needle for the job makes all the difference.

I was planning to use just cheap muslin for the back, and to wrap around the top edges
like one might bind a quilt, because it's rather thin....and I was thinking of how hard it would
be to sew through all those layers. But I'd really rather use some of this home dec. fabric I have
so much of...it's somewhere between canvas and duck weight. Remember a couple years
ago when my husband bought me a whole hayrack full of home dec. fabric? LOL! Still
laughing about that one and still have fabric roll tee-pees sitting around the house. I mean
this is a small house and where does one store that much fabric!

Anyway, I have a couple enormous rolls of this stuff but haven't found much use for it. It's a
little on the scratchy side to use for sewing....but would be perfect for this rug. Can hardly
wait to see if I can sew through it all. I'm using my Janome 8000, which is a real workhorse
and sews through heavy fabric well.

Oh....and I've had the same experience as MoDo, with unattached non-slip rug stuff not staying in
place...slips all over my hardwood floors. But maybe I'm just not finding the right kind. What I
used years ago was probably the cheapest available, knowing me. I'll take a look at Lowe's or
a carpet store and see what they have to offer. And thanks again!

< Message edited by Linda S. -- 10/23/2017 6:11:26 PM >

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 14
RE: Making a Rug from home dec fabric - 10/23/2017 9:51:04 PM   
MoDo

I've tried both the stuff actually made to go under rugs and the stuff made for shelves--neither works .

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 15
RE: Making a Rug from home dec fabric - 10/25/2017 1:04:56 PM   
Linda S.

MoDo, Me too....but after hearing what other say I wonder if I used a kind
of non-slip that was just too cheap to do a good job? (sounds like something
I would do lol!).

I've also tried the shelf liner kind...no go. In my efforts to get a rug that wouldn't
slip all over my hardwood floors, I hot glued it to my rug. That wasn't a great idea
either.

I'm going to a place that sells carpet, hopefully today, and see what they have
to offer. Others here seem to have no problem, so I'm concluding I used the
wrong kind.

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 16
RE: Making a Rug from home dec fabric - 10/25/2017 1:46:27 PM   
caaguirre

Linda, just one observation about using a lightweight fabric wrapped around the edge - on my area rugs the edges are the weakest point so if you don't want to bind, I would turn the home dec fabric to the back rather than the other way around.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Home Decor & Crafts >> Making a Rug from home dec fabric Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy