Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Sewing room clean up and organizing

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Miscellaneous] >> Miscellaneous Chat >> Sewing room clean up and organizing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sewing room clean up and organizing - 11/14/2017 12:18:03 PM   
tricia.heller

OK, fess up time! My sewing room had gotten in such a state it was depressing to walk in there, so I just shut the door. Well, have finally started cleaning it up and attempting (once again) to organize it. Finally got all my fabrics wrapped on board and in the closet.

Wanna take bets on how long it takes??

Have to start Christmas sewing too --- while cleaning!
Post #: 1
RE: Sewing room clean up and organizing - 11/14/2017 3:36:27 PM   
aussie

The worst part about cleaning a sewing room - you find so many things that say "make me". If you are like me, you stop the cleaning process and sew. I started cleaning (making a path is more like it) my sewing room. There was no hope to even find the scissors. Pretty bad when your portable phone rings and you can't find it from being buried under fabric. Then the thing dies and you are in deeper trouble. I know what you are saying.

Carol NW Ohio

(in reply to tricia.heller)
Post #: 2
RE: Sewing room clean up and organizing - 11/14/2017 9:25:10 PM   
caaguirre

I know what you're saying too, my door has been closed for several weeks now. I absolutely can't sew until things are straightened up so I think I might get myself started in 15 minute increments to at least take the first baby steps. Good luck to us all!

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to aussie)
Post #: 3
RE: Sewing room clean up and organizing - 11/14/2017 10:35:33 PM   
SewLynn

Every now and then, the fabric overwhelms the bins, and I have to tuck some things away in boxes so that I can 'power sew' my way through the excess!!! LOL

And yes, Carol (caguirre) ... small session can make a big difference. Not only is my 10x11 room the sewing room, it's also the computer room, the painting/drawing room, and more. I have had to make best use of the space, for sure, with 2 sewing/embroidery machines and a serger, 10 baskets of patterns, 12 bins of fabrics ... hundreds of spools of threads ... books ... I will admit there's not much visible floor space.

Tip for scissors - a men's tie rack. I found one with 7 hooks and if I double up some of the smaller snips, I can fit most of my sewing and embroidery scissors on it. The trick, of course, is to hang them up after every sewing session.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 4
RE: Sewing room clean up and organizing - 11/15/2017 12:03:48 PM   
MoDo

I have three cats, so my sewing room door is always closed--out of sight, out of mind . I keep promising myself I'll get it all organized soon, but as with Aussie, I always find things that distract me from what I'm supposed to be doing. I need to hang up the pictures former boyfriends gave me: "Creative Minds Are Seldom Tidy" and "A Clean House is the Sign of a Misspent Life".

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 5
RE: Sewing room clean up and organizing - 11/15/2017 12:11:05 PM   
vpenner

My sewing room organization is an ongoing process. I tend toward (obsessive) neatness, so my sewing room is rarely messy, but I do reassess on a regular basis it seems. Personally, my sewing scissors are stored in knife blocks (I chose ones with wide slots). I keep them near my machine. Having said that, I have a rather large amount of table top on which to fit them (about 8 feet). I have two closets available (one in the room and one in the hall next to the room, and I have my fabric hanging in them (the best solution for me). I keep my fabric scraps in a chest of drawers. I recently rearranged the sewing room and moved the chest from the hallway to the sewing room. I had to remove the drawers and their contents to accomplish this, and in the process straightened out what had become kind of chaotic (for me). The drawers are now nice and neat!!

Mother to James (37), Sarah (34), Aaron (33), Adam (30) and David (27)

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 6
RE: Sewing room clean up and organizing - 11/22/2017 10:10:49 AM   
vinciew

My sewing room is such a mess! Don't even know where to start cleaning and organizing. Maybe the door. lol Will take a while.
I have a hand towel all ready to embroider but don't know where anything is. Oh boy! Good thing there's no deadline.
Have a lovely Thanksgiving everyone.
vincie

(in reply to vpenner)
Post #: 7
RE: Sewing room clean up and organizing - 11/22/2017 5:09:30 PM   
caaguirre

One trick I heard of from a professional organizer is to begin at a certain spot in the room, say at the doorway and then systematically work your way around the room's perimeter until you're back at the beginning spot. The middle of the room would be the final clean-up spot. This technique made sense to me and lets me see my finished areas as I'm working around the room. That gives me incentive to continue on. Honestly, my room(s) haven't been this disorganized in a long, long time. I had to pull out lots of fabric to make choices and then had to stop one project to do another. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to vinciew)
Post #: 8
RE: Sewing room clean up and organizing - 11/24/2017 6:35:20 PM   
vpenner

Hey, that happens, Carol!! My kids will frequently ask me to sew something for them, and I'll drop what I'm working on to do it. Starting in one area and working around the room makes perfect sense. I've also heard many experts who say even doing one drawer or shelf at a time adds up; this is workable even if you have only small amounts of time to work with! I also find that when I'm redoing my room that I don't immediately get rid of containers. They might be useful in other rooms, and I can always get rid of them later (not TOO much later or I'm just hoarding containers!!) once I've reconsidered them and found them no longer of use to me. Some would disagree with me, but I just don't get hasty about it because I've gotten rid of them in the heat of the moment and regretted it later because some of them were unusual and difficult (if no impossible) to replace.

Mother to James (37), Sarah (34), Aaron (33), Adam (30) and David (27)

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 9
RE: Sewing room clean up and organizing - 11/25/2017 12:54:16 PM   
aussie

Starting at one spot and going around was in an article some time ago. I think it was a Japanese cleaning hint, not sure tho. But I thought I would try it. It is wonderful! It keeps you in one spot until it is clean and then move again. Seems as if I was always going back and forth, back and forth, nothing got finished, I got tired and disgusted so I sat down and sewed! One thing especially good is that if you leave the room and go back later to clean, you know exactly where you are.

Carol NW Ohio

(in reply to vpenner)
Post #: 10
RE: Sewing room clean up and organizing - 11/27/2017 6:21:04 PM   
tricia.heller

WooHoo! I've actually "found" part of the floor!.. Carol, I've started using your go around the room method. Can actually open door now AND see some floor! May be by 2018 I'll be finished!

(in reply to aussie)
Post #: 11
RE: Sewing room clean up and organizing - 11/27/2017 10:47:50 PM   
MoDo

One place you can find the "go around the room" method is in "The Messies Manual: The Procrastinator's Guide to Good Housekeeping" by Sandra Felton. It is a method that is/was used at Mount Vernon. I've had Sandra's books since the '80s--one of these days I'll get around to actually following the advice .

(in reply to tricia.heller)
Post #: 12
RE: Sewing room clean up and organizing - 11/28/2017 12:16:59 AM   
caaguirre

I think that's where I first heard of this technique - Sandra Felton used to be on radio programs (and maybe tv too) telling about her ideas. I had forgotten all about that until now, thanks MoDo!

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Miscellaneous] >> Miscellaneous Chat >> Sewing room clean up and organizing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2017 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy