Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Seeking Crossbody Bag Pattern Recommendations

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Patterns, Fabrics & Notions >> Seeking Crossbody Bag Pattern Recommendations Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Seeking Crossbody Bag Pattern Recommendations - 12/5/2017 1:22:11 PM   
SewLynn

I've spent several hours looking online at ready-made bags, but they are either - too big, too small, too open to be secure, or higher priced than I'm willing to pay.

I have a nice sized scrap of embossed faux suede and am looking at making a 5 x 7 ish sized, simple bag in a horizontal orientation with a zippered closure on the top of the main compartment, leather or fabric strap rather than a chain or braided type strap. No need for credit card slots, or organizer features. Everything I've found is more than I need. I have a flat card and cash holder that will fit across the 7" width, and an Android phone that would fit in the main compartment or a pocket - but if an outside pocket, it would need a secure closure. In the hoop embroidery is fine - but simple basic rather than overly embellished, or regular sewing pattern. I spent time on Craftsy, Pickle Pie, a bunch of free sewing sites, Indygo Junction, and a few others, but it's hard to find just a simple pattern.

Member since 2001.
Post #: 1
RE: Seeking Crossbody Bag Pattern Recommendations - 12/5/2017 2:06:29 PM   
KarenVA

Have you looked at Emmaline Bags or Sew Sweetness? They have wonderful patterns!!

Or this one from Atkinson Designs:

http://store.atkinsondesigns.com/stores_app/browse_item_details_ws.asp?shopper_id=6127125151076127&store_id=913&page_id=23&item_id=1028

< Message edited by KarenVA -- 12/5/2017 2:13:18 PM >

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 2
RE: Seeking Crossbody Bag Pattern Recommendations - 12/5/2017 2:46:20 PM   
Linda S.

It is hard to find a pattern like you describe. I wanted to make one a year or so ago and gave up
looking. A girl who worked for me liked a purse brand name (of course I can't recall the name now...
but it was very popular then), and I wanted to make one like that for her using vintage fabric.

I never did finish! The ones my little friend liked had a quilted shell, and by the time I finished the
quilting, my square of fabric had shrunk down and I thought it might be too small (or shrank...is either one a word? LOL!).
I hated to waste this much loved fabric, and really should get back to it. My purse will be smaller
than I intended.

I seem to remember deciding to make it like I would a simple, lined jewelry bag....just adding straps.
There are several tutorials online for those, and I've made the lined jewelry bags.

Will be watching this thread with interest to see what you come up with!

< Message edited by Linda S. -- 12/5/2017 2:48:32 PM >

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 3
RE: Seeking Crossbody Bag Pattern Recommendations - 12/9/2017 5:04:37 PM   
DDinDFW

Linda S, are you speaking of Vera Bradley bags? Most of their bags are fabric and many have quilting. The fabrics are often bright colors.

Dana, mom of two young men

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 4
RE: Seeking Crossbody Bag Pattern Recommendations - 12/9/2017 9:30:36 PM   
Linda S.

Dana, Yes...that's the one. And I really should finish it rather than waste the fabric.
I've had that fabric, no kidding, for 40 years or more. A friend's mother brought it back
from St. Croix where her husband's work had sent him for an engineering job.

Native women of the Virgin Islands wore these large rectangles of fabric, wrapped and tied
a certain way to look like pants or halter dresses. It's hand painted and very pretty. I have
another piece too....waiting for inspiration. Maybe I'll get to that one in another 40 yrs or
so lol!

(in reply to DDinDFW)
Post #: 5
RE: Seeking Crossbody Bag Pattern Recommendations - 12/10/2017 11:45:17 AM   
SewLynn

Linda S ... yes, a jewelry bag or cosmetics case might be a good starting point, as long as there's a zipper.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 6
RE: Seeking Crossbody Bag Pattern Recommendations - 12/10/2017 7:33:43 PM   
gillie

http://www.sewthankful.com/LazyGirlRunAroundBag_SewingPattern.html I have this one to make. Mine was a downloaded pattern with her Crafty Class.

Gillie

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 7
RE: Seeking Crossbody Bag Pattern Recommendations - 12/11/2017 12:00:35 PM   
Linda S.

Lynn, This is how I make lined zippered cosmetic bags. Here's a video tutorial on how to
sew it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o3CDg5Ia5o

The video above isn't the one I was looking for, but the sewing sequence is the same.
Couldn't we insert straps while sewing the outer shell to the zipper? It might even be
easier to attach the straps later, unpicking a few stitches in the zipper then sew on
the straps. Not sure yet. But this is how I planned to do it.

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Patterns, Fabrics & Notions >> Seeking Crossbody Bag Pattern Recommendations Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2017 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy