Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Preliminary approval for my new sewing room

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Preliminary approval for my new sewing room Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Preliminary approval for my new sewing room - 12/8/2017 2:54:36 PM   
mizzlilly

We got approval for our minor variance of 8”...now we have to wait out a 20 day appeal window. But there were no comments or concerns from the neighbours, so one would hope no one decides to complain now. If no issues, they will give us the building permit December 27th, which will give me three long months...or more...to just look at it, until spring when we can begin to build. I wish I felt happier...but the long six month delay over nothing, while I try to function in the chaos created by moving most everything out of the sewing room doesn’t make for a happy camper. And my sister, nephew and his wife are coming up for a visit in January. I will be happy to see them of course, but this also means I have to somehow make the two guest rooms, which currently contain stuff, a LOT OF STUFF, from the sewing room, into at least a semi inhabitable space. And I’ve no idea how I will do that or where I will put everything.

I keep thinking of Shakespeare, “Much Ado About Nothing”...I think 8” when you’re talking about something as big as a big house, qualifies as nothing...

https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/My-Sewing/2018-Sewing
https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/Cameo-Paper-projects/
Post #: 1
RE: Preliminary approval for my new sewing room - 12/8/2017 3:50:38 PM   
caaguirre

I agree 100%, in the grand scheme of things 8" IS nothing and certainly not worth the trouble you've been through because of it. Have you had remodeling in the past? We had a big remodel years ago and boy who knew it was such an upheaval and trier of every patient nerve I possessed. I'm so happy you got the variance and humbly suggest using the 3 months to practice taking deep breaths and going with the flow. It will definitely come in handy when the work actually starts, you'll be a pro by then!

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 2
RE: Preliminary approval for my new sewing room - 12/8/2017 8:28:31 PM   
Grammie

Some good news, anyway! Good advice from Carol...and the months will fly by, Lillian - they seem to go faster as I age! LOL

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 5 to 24 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 14)! Mom to 5, ages 47 to 54!

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 3
RE: Preliminary approval for my new sewing room - 12/8/2017 9:35:10 PM   
Daylily430

I can sympathize with your upheaval. In 2015 we experienced ice dams and water damage 1/2 of the first floor of our house. Walls & insulation were ripped out and industrial fans installed operating 24/7 for about 4 days. Everything had to be moved from the family room...Not a process I ever want to repeat. it was overwhelming living with the disorganization but fortunately the demolition/reconstruction was completed in about 8 weeks. 98 inches of snow in a winter is way too much!

I think your guests will be quite understanding of your circumstances at the moment. So hopefully you can look ahead & enjoy the dreams of what your beautiful new sewing space will be ad that tho 8" is the only glitch.

Ellen
Blog www.seamsandfinishes.com

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 4
RE: Preliminary approval for my new sewing room - 12/9/2017 10:03:08 PM   
Fancy Stitches

I'm so glad to hear your 8-inch variance was finally approved. I understand your frustration with the delay and the upheaval you have to deal with, especially when expecting guests. But I am sure they will understand your circumstances and enjoy the time with you and your DH. Time will pass and, as Grammie said "it will seem to fly faster as we age"!

Barbara

(in reply to Daylily430)
Post #: 5
RE: Preliminary approval for my new sewing room - 12/10/2017 3:08:08 PM   
mizzlilly

Thanks girls... Carol, our first major renovation, and still the worst, was in 1975...Rebecca was not yet two years old and we put a second story on a bungalow. We were young and inexperienced and the contractor, well...can’t think of anything good to say. A huge fieldstone fireplace and chimney, back porch, finishing the basement here...all big but less intrusive than most renos. Don’t remember when we remodelled the laundry room, twice, and powder room...then in 2009 the hall bathroom...and both the master bathroom and kitchen in 2010. So this isn’t my first rodeo...but it sure has been the most needlessly complicated and frustrating and no one has so much as lifted a hammer yet! My guests will be understanding, but they will need to be able to get in and out of the beds...even the least demanding guest in the world needs to have access to their bed!

(in reply to Fancy Stitches)
Post #: 6
RE: Preliminary approval for my new sewing room - 12/10/2017 9:03:24 PM   
caaguirre

Oh boy, was I ever preaching to the choir in my post. You've already built up your ability to cope with disarray with all of these past projects under your belt. I guess what will be memorable with this one is the patience required to even begin the work. Each project has its own experiences, doesn't it? What guest would mind jumping over a pile of sewing supplies to get into bed, just make sure all sharp objects are pointing in the down position. lol

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 7
RE: Preliminary approval for my new sewing room - 12/11/2017 6:17:58 AM   
KarenVA

Good grief, Lillian!! You sure are jumping through hoops this time around!! I pray that the time flies and you can enjoy stress-free sewing in your new spaces!! Keep the end vision in mind!!

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 8
RE: Preliminary approval for my new sewing room - 12/16/2017 10:42:58 AM   
JR

Lillian,
I can't believe all the drama they have put you through. I totally understand you will be ready for this renovation to be complete. Hoping winter goes by very fast for you so they can started on the construction!! Be sure and take plenty of pictures!!

The family went to Boston for Thanksgiving (to visit Kim) since Thanksgiving was Katherine's birthday. Had a wonderful time but came back home to nurse my 3rd blood clot in my left leg. My right left was sporting a boot up to my knee. I missed a stair and mess up that foot. Tired of injuring myself over and over!!

Your cards are gorgeous. I was into card making. All you had to do was glue all the pieces down everything was cut out. LOL Sure you did yours on the cutting machine!!

I bought myself a new toy but so scared to use it!! Both of my sisters bought one too so we can learn together!!

Have a wonderful day!!
JR

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 9
RE: Preliminary approval for my new sewing room - 12/16/2017 1:43:23 PM   
caaguirre

Gosh JR, hope you're completely healed very soon. Messed up legs and feet are certainly no fun.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to JR)
Post #: 10
RE: Preliminary approval for my new sewing room - 12/16/2017 4:22:48 PM   
Nananeva

So sorry to hear of your health problems, JR - but what new TOY did you purchase? You can't leave us hanging this way!

< Message edited by Nananeva -- 12/16/2017 4:23:19 PM >

Neva

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 11
RE: Preliminary approval for my new sewing room - 12/16/2017 6:10:13 PM   
slowstitcher

3rd blood clot? l Good grief. Hubby had by pass 3 yrs ago and had a pulmonary embolism 6 wks later. Put on Xeralto and had a DVT a few months later...while on a blood thinner!!! He has been on coumadin since with no problems.

(in reply to Nananeva)
Post #: 12
RE: Preliminary approval for my new sewing room - 12/17/2017 12:28:08 AM   
mizzlilly

Oh yikes Judy! Poor you! I sure hope you are better soon. Awful, painful and scary! And then to have a fall and hurt your other leg? Talk about being kicked while you’re down...so unfair!

Did you get a Brother Scan N Cut? I have that one, plus the Silhouette Cameo and the Cricut Maker and several die cutting machines.

My carpenter friend has been putting my new cutting table together. The three sets of drawers are assembled...it is supposed to be finished by Friday or Monday at the latest. The new cutting table will stay in the blue room for now until we can permanently move it to the new space. At least that’s something. It will be huge...it will be three main componentents screwed together, able to be disassembled to be moved as it will be too large to fit through a regular doorway. It will be like a big kitchen island on casters. Some of the drawers will be used for sewing things, and some for paper crafting, and the book papers use when I make my Kraft Tex folders.

(in reply to slowstitcher)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Preliminary approval for my new sewing room Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy