Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Is Trisha’s Treasures blouse pattern available?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Children's Construction >> Is Trisha’s Treasures blouse pattern available? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is Trisha’s Treasures blouse pattern available? - 12/10/2017 2:56:06 PM   
mizzlilly

[Image Image]

Based on the info with the picture, this pattern has been out for nearly five years...or maybe more. But, as far as I know, only in a class. Does anyone have any updated info? TIA

https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/My-Sewing/2016-Sewing
Post #: 1
RE: Is Trisha’s Treasures blouse pattern available? - 12/11/2017 2:05:44 PM   
Grammie

I spoke with Tricia last January and at that time she had no plans to release this pattern until she is done teaching it.

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 5 to 24 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 14)!

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 2
RE: Is Trisha’s Treasures blouse pattern available? - 12/11/2017 2:15:48 PM   
caaguirre

Every time I see tucks my heart starts to race so I love this pattern. Mizlilly, with your pattern drafting skills I'll bet you could duplicate this using other patterns as a starting point.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 3
RE: Is Trisha’s Treasures blouse pattern available? - 12/13/2017 6:31:11 PM   
mizzlilly

Thanks for the info Grammie. It is so disappointing though. I’m guess I should be grateful other designers don’t have the same policy. I can only conclude it’s all about dollars and cents...though hard to imagine she wouldn’t make more money selling a great number of patterns, rather than the smaller number of patterns/classes. She would certainly have a whole lot more happy customers. Carol, thanks for the vote of confidence...but my pattern drafting skills are almost non-existent!

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 4
RE: Is Trisha’s Treasures blouse pattern available? - 12/14/2017 11:48:06 AM   
vpenner

How many people would love to buy the pattern who cannot make it to a class for whatever reason? I know I love the blouse but cannot attend a class...

Mother to James (37), Sarah (35), Aaron (33), Adam (30) and David (27)

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 5
RE: Is Trisha’s Treasures blouse pattern available? - 12/14/2017 4:12:11 PM   
caaguirre

Wait a minute! I remember a boy's shirt collar you drafted that was amazing. Can't remember the name of the pattern but I'm sure you do.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to vpenner)
Post #: 6
RE: Is Trisha’s Treasures blouse pattern available? - 12/15/2017 7:16:34 AM   
DDinDFW

Beautiful. Too bad the pattern isn't available for sale.

Dana, mom of two young men

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 7
RE: Is Trisha’s Treasures blouse pattern available? - 12/15/2017 10:34:56 AM   
Linda S.

This is a darling blouse and I remember having this same discussion a couple of years ago,
which makes me wonder if the designer knows how popular it would be as a pattern.

(in reply to DDinDFW)
Post #: 8
RE: Is Trisha’s Treasures blouse pattern available? - 12/17/2017 1:12:39 AM   
mizzlilly

Grammie, any insights into Trisha’s reasons? Is she aware of just how much people would like to have this pattern? I guess if it’s all about dollars and cents and she makes more money doing classes than she would selling patterns...well, that’s good business. I guess...but she really is frustrating a lot of potential customers...hope I’m not speaking out of turn. Business is a two way street and you like to think keeping your customers happy is also a component of business, and that on some level you do care about them...and not just their money! Even if it is all about the bottom line, she can’t be certain that she will turn a greater profit limiting the pattern to classes, as opposed to directly selling a great many more patterns. Maybe she just loves teaching? I hope that’s it. And she doesn’t owe anyone an explanation, but she is risking alienating potential customers...I’ve thought about just deciding to never buy the pattern should it ever become available...I kind of doubt that I’m alone. Limiting the pattern to classes only for a certain period of time is one thing, but years and years? I don’t know of a similar situation with another designer....does anyone know of anything similar?

Carol, that collar was on the sailor suit published in SB. I did modify the collar on the CC pattern I based the shirt on...but it was a LOT of trial and error, and then I ran it by professional designer, Judith Marquis. She used to live in the next town but has since moved hours away. So I’m not good at pattern drafting, and really don’t enjoy it, so I don’t want to put the time and effort into learning.

Sorry to be so cranky...frustrated stitcher here!

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 9
RE: Is Trisha’s Treasures blouse pattern available? - 12/17/2017 3:33:24 PM   
caaguirre

Mizlilly, I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I just want to cut out and sew in the easiest way possible. I was just so amazed by that collar I remember it to this day.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 10
RE: Is Trisha’s Treasures blouse pattern available? - 12/17/2017 3:58:09 PM   
Grammie

Ladies...you can each send a message to Trisha via her Facebook page...let her know how you feel. Hopefully she will pop in here and respond directly to all of us. Trisha is very good at customer service so I expect she may well respond soon.

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 5 to 24 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 14)!

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 11
RE: Is Trisha’s Treasures blouse pattern available? - 12/30/2017 8:28:53 PM   
JR

Lillian,
I was hoping you had gotten the pattern and made that adorable top. Would be very nice in an adult size!!

JR

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 12
RE: Is Trisha’s Treasures blouse pattern available? - 1/9/2018 11:37:15 AM   
KathyD

I love that blouse and would love the pattern as well. Should it come out in print, I'd be buying it! I'll give you a bit of "teacher" thoughts on the pattern and making it available.

First of all, when you develop a class and pattern, it takes LOTS and LOTS of time - particularly if it is a unique pattern. It takes me a couple months of dedicated work, testing samples, etc. not to mention writing up the instructions and the diagrams or pictures needed for that. After all that work, if you love to teach, you do hope that guilds/groups will invite you to teach that particular pattern. If it is available right away, that might discourage individuals from otherwise taking the class. So, to hold back on making the pattern available for a period of time may be a good business choice, though I could definitely see the argument for the income made from online sales. :) As was mentioned, everyone cannot take a class, but would probably love to purchase the pattern. I do think that the sales would be there.

Additionally, it could be the expense of producing the pattern for selling and hopefully making a profit. Just this last year my printing costs for pattern tripled from March to Sept. making it unthinkable to offer any patterns in print form. A pattern that I had printed in Feb. for $5 now costs $15 - and this is the BEST price I can get anywhere unless I want to order hundreds at a time (which involves a huge cost upfront, storing patterns, etc.). Add to that the cost of printing the instructions, the plastic bag and the time to fold the pattern and assemble the patterns for sale - no money could be made. So, unless the pattern was made ready as a PDF, there won't be any patterns for sale from me. to make it ready as a PDF will require hours and hours of work on the computer. I may decide to do that for some of them. We'll see. It has taken me forever to learn how to do the patterns on the computer and I doubt I'll get quicker at this any time soon. for someone trained and knowledgeable on the computer, it would take less time, but still would be a significant time investment.

I only have one of Trisha's patterns from a class I took last year and it didn't have any real pattern pieces - only an armhole - so that one could easily be made for sale (my opinion) and money could be made from sales. However, I would assume that this blouse pattern would have several pieces that would require printing. Without that information, it's hard to say.

It's easy to have a strong opinion regarding things like these, but as I've done more and more pattern work, I have a different perspective than I did prior to just being a student. :)

KathyD
http://sewing-adventures.com

(in reply to JR)
Post #: 13
RE: Is Trisha’s Treasures blouse pattern available? - 1/9/2018 8:46:15 PM   
caaguirre

Wow Kathy, that's a real eye opener! Who knew that so much time and money is involved in this process, makes me more understanding when faced with the high cost of some paper patterns. Thank you for the information.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to KathyD)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Children's Construction >> Is Trisha’s Treasures blouse pattern available? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy