Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Sewing cabinets

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Sewing cabinets Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sewing cabinets - 12/19/2017 12:10:59 PM   
Penny Hal

I finally gave up on my Babylock I was having so much trouble with. I upgraded to the Destiny2. Now my husband wants me to get a new cabinet for it. I'm not real happy with all the cabinets that I've seen. I'm hoping you all will tell me about what kind of cabinet you have and what you like about it. It
d be a big help to me!

Penny
Post #: 1
RE: Sewing cabinets - 12/19/2017 12:23:13 PM   
Grammie

I have a Koala cabinet and I LOVE IT!!!!!!! There are multiple sizes to choose from and wood finishes as well. Since I live in Canada I had to purchase mine through a US vendor, then go get it and import it myself - so I paid NY state tax and then Ontario/Canadian tax on top. It was so worth it - I use that cabinet almost every day - it satisfies all my needs. I sew on a Designer Diamond so my cabinet is designed to fit that but I think if I ever upgraded to the new H/V machine I could get it to fit as well.

I also know some people like the Ikea cabinets that they can design for a particular space - I use Ikea cabinets for storage and do like them.

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 5 to 24 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 14)!

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 2
RE: Sewing cabinets - 12/19/2017 3:28:26 PM   
KarenVA

I have the Horn Super Elite Quilter's Dream-- https://www.hornofamerica.com/products/elite-electric-lift-airlift-cabinets/5280alcabinet-5280-elite-airlift-super-quilters-dream

It's made in America and truly is a dream to use!! I love the air lift to raise and lower the machine--and the drawers and storage is wonderful. I use mine every single day!!!

< Message edited by KarenVA -- 12/19/2017 3:30:18 PM >

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 3
RE: Sewing cabinets - 12/19/2017 4:39:57 PM   
SewLynn

The prices on these cabinets give me heart failure!

Member since 2001.

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 4
RE: Sewing cabinets - 12/19/2017 4:50:12 PM   
Grammie

They are expensive, Lynn...but will last a lifetime! I'm hoping one of my granddaughters will inherit mine and sew for many years.

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 5 to 24 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 14)!

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 5
RE: Sewing cabinets - 12/19/2017 5:24:10 PM   
vjm

I have two Koala cabinets and a Horn cabinet. Both brands are well made but I prefer the electronic lift of the Koala to the air lift of the Horn. It is my understanding that Koala has made a special cabinet for the Destiny. Since the Destiny is bigger than most machines, the cabinet has a larger cut out and will accommodate the larger insert. I think most Babylock dealers sell Koala cabinets. I would advise you to talk to your dealer. These cabinets are expensive but sometimes you can get a good deal. I bought both of mine as floor models. One was in perfect condition and the other had a slight scratch. For the money I saved, I can live with that scratch.

VJM and her two Westies, Shayla and Chelsea

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 6
RE: Sewing cabinets - 12/19/2017 9:06:11 PM   
caaguirre

I've had a Horn cabinet for many years and it's been great. I had trouble with one of the hinges on the cover but Horn gave me 2 new ones free of charge although I only needed one. I had a cabinet with my old, old Elna and once I got used to one I had to have another one when I got a new machine.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to vjm)
Post #: 7
RE: Sewing cabinets - 12/20/2017 8:30:34 AM   
KarenVA

VJM--you can also get the Horn cabinet with the electronic lift (I just like the air lift better).

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 8
RE: Sewing cabinets - 12/20/2017 9:54:30 AM   
mizzlilly

I have a Horn with the electric lift for my Dream Machine, several Sylvia Designs, a Haka, very similar to the Horn, but a hydraulic lift rather than electric, and a Koala for my Ovation. They are all great quality. I absolutely love the electric lift...wish I had that on the Haka as well, but they weren’t available at the time. All these cabinets are expensive, but it is a case of getting what you pay for. I think as long as you stay with any of these brands you will be happy, so it becomes a matter of finding the style that suits you. Since I don’t close up or fold away etc., I didn’t want cabinets with these features as I find them an inefficient design if not used. Remember you need to think about clearance behind your embroidery machine for large hoops.

https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/My-Sewing/2016-Sewing

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 9
RE: Sewing cabinets - 12/20/2017 5:32:04 PM   
Penny Hal

Ok. Got a Koala. My husband is afraid that the machine would fall off the cabinet I have during an earthquake. I'm sure I'll have a lot more to worry about after an earthquake than a sewing machine falling. Oh well. I guess it'll 3 or 4 months to get here. In the meantime, I'll have to figure out where to put it. It's a lot bigger than what I have.

Penny

(in reply to mizzlilly)
Post #: 10
RE: Sewing cabinets - 12/21/2017 7:08:41 AM   
KarenVA

I am so excited for you, Penny!!!! You will LOVE your new cabinet!!

KarenVA

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 11
RE: Sewing cabinets - 12/21/2017 9:27:03 PM   
caaguirre

Enjoy, I'm sure you will love it.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> Sewing cabinets Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages