Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Ode to Joy dress

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Smocking >> Ode to Joy dress Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ode to Joy dress - 12/19/2017 3:44:55 PM   
Janice

This Ode to Joy dress (pattern by Maggie B)has just delighted my 4 yo granddaughter. The dress is fast and easy to make and has only about 90 pleats to smock in the front and the back. It's a winner! More photos and details are posted on my Janice Ferguson Sews blog here. P.S. Just posted this a minute ago and can't find it. So if you see it twice, I aplogize.

Attachment (1)

Janice
www.janicefergusonsews.com
Post #: 1
RE: Ode to Joy dress - 12/19/2017 3:48:42 PM   
Grammie

Sweet dress - and an adorable granddaughter! Congratulations!

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 5 to 24 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 14)!

(in reply to Janice)
Post #: 2
RE: Ode to Joy dress - 12/19/2017 4:37:23 PM   
SewLynn

I just adore the smocking ... I have a pleater and all the supplies, just haven't been able to make the time to adequately learn ...

Beautiful dress!!!!

Member since 2001.

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 3
RE: Ode to Joy dress - 12/19/2017 9:10:01 PM   
caaguirre

I love it and I'm glad she does too. Those colors are the best, great combination!

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 4
RE: Ode to Joy dress - 12/19/2017 10:43:30 PM   
MoDo

Beautiful dress, beautiful girl!

I hear ya, Lynn! I purchased a pleater about 4 years ago, have books and videos, but just haven't taken the time to learn. A real shame, too, as I've seen so many lovely designs!

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 5
RE: Ode to Joy dress - 12/20/2017 8:19:35 AM   
DDinDFW

The colors are great. And she is adorable. Beautiful eyes.

Dana, mom of two young men

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 6
RE: Ode to Joy dress - 12/20/2017 9:17:32 AM   
KarenVA

I love your dress!! And, it's so nice to "watch" Miss Vivian Rose grow up so nicely--with her own spunk!!!

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to DDinDFW)
Post #: 7
RE: Ode to Joy dress - 12/20/2017 9:44:01 AM   
vinciew

So so cute! Love it and looks like she does too. good job again!
vincie

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 8
RE: Ode to Joy dress - 12/31/2017 9:19:51 AM   
Linda S.

What a gorgeous dress! I love the print and trim colors...very high-end, boutique look!
Thank you for the eye-candy Janice.

I'm with the rest of you gals who wish I could smock. I made a few things many moons
ago but now it would be like learning all over again. If it's any encouragement, I remember
thinking it was easy enough to learn. I don't have a pleater, but do have great instructions
on how to pleat by hand...pretty simple to do without a pleater actually.

(in reply to vinciew)
Post #: 9
RE: Ode to Joy dress - 12/31/2017 3:21:43 PM   
Nananeva

Love the dress, love everything about it! You have a beautiful grand daughter. Am surprised at how many of us have pleaters and don't use them. I purchased one and did some pleating when Don broke his hip. Sat in the hospital and later the rehab center smocking baby dresses. Haven't done it now for several years.

Neva

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 10
RE: Ode to Joy dress - 12/31/2017 5:36:44 PM   
caaguirre

Linda, will you point me to pleat-by-hand instructions? I'm hesitant to invest in a pleater which might sit in the closet because it's too hard to use.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Nananeva)
Post #: 11
RE: Ode to Joy dress - 12/31/2017 7:05:26 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

When I was about 18 there was either McCall or Simplicity pattern that featured iron on dots and you smocked it... not like pleater smocking but much bigger pleats - my sister's friend made the same dress in sort of raspberry colour and I made mine in black...

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 12
RE: Ode to Joy dress - 1/2/2018 12:44:50 AM   
Fancy Stitches

Carol, not Linda, but maybe I can help. Google Knott's Dots and there are Etsy sites where they are available. There are You Tube videos that show how to use them. I have also pleated 1/4-inch gingham fabric, picking up the corners of each square because I didn't have much luck trying to pleat gingham on my pleater...it resulted in weird waves of color because the pleater needles are about 3/8-inch apart, I believe. HTH

Barbara

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 13
RE: Ode to Joy dress - 1/2/2018 10:20:47 AM   
Linda S.

Carol, I found a few hits for pleating by hand and this one looks pretty good:
http://creationsbymichie.com/pleating-without-a-pleater/

The instructions I use are no longer online, but it's the same idea. You just
mark off a grid with washable marker, then take a short stitch at each place the
lines cross to pleat. The only thing I see different in Miche's instructions is that
she takes bigger bites into the fabric in her pleating stitches. I just pick up a few
threads right where the lines of the grid cross....rather like we would do when we
smock. Evidently it makes no difference since this is how Michie Mooney does it ; ).

There used to be sheets of dots that were iron on transfers (Knots Dots) but I
don't know if those are still available. The transfers put dots on the fabric so
you can make a stitch at each dot, then pull up rows of stitching to pleat.

(in reply to Fancy Stitches)
Post #: 14
RE: Ode to Joy dress - 1/4/2018 8:30:41 AM   
ianrenton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fancy Stitches

Carol, not Linda, but maybe I can help. Google Knott's Dots and there are Etsy livesites where they are available. There are You Tube videos that show how to use them. I have also pleated 1/4-inch gingham fabric, picking up the corners of each square because I didn't have much luck trying to pleat gingham on my pleater...it resulted in weird waves of color because the pleater needles are about 3/8-inch apart, I believe. HTH

Barbara

That helped me :)

Post #: 15
RE: Ode to Joy dress - 1/4/2018 4:40:49 PM   
caaguirre

Thank you so much, I'll look into this when I get completely over this blasted flu. Can stitch charts be used for hand gathered pleats the same as for pleater gathered pleats since the pleat size is a little different?

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to ianrenton)
Post #: 16
RE: Ode to Joy dress - 1/4/2018 8:28:45 PM   
Fancy Stitches

Carol, some of the Knott's Dots are spaced the same as pleater needles. In any case, when you follow a smocking plate, you begin from the center (found by counting pleats) so the size of the pleat wouldn't matter. If you are new to smocking, I would recommend Martha Pullen's "The Joy of Smocking" or one of Ellen McCarn's excellent books, altho' I'm sure there are some You Tube videos that may be good, too. I surely hope you will soon be feeling better...the flu is no way to start a new year! I'm thinking of you and sending big hugs!

Barbara

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 17
RE: Ode to Joy dress - 1/4/2018 10:38:23 PM   
Janice

Carol and any other aspiring smockers, I have a few sample pieces pleated up that I would be happy to send you at no cost. Then if you decide you want to smock and still aren't ready to purchase a pleater, you could buy a ready-to-smock garment or find a shop that offers pleating service.

Janice

Post #: 18
RE: Ode to Joy dress - 1/5/2018 1:37:53 AM   
Fancy Stitches

Janice, you are such a generous and gracious person!! What a wonderful offer to aspiring smockers. We are so lucky you are a member of this forum and share so freely with us...your talents and ideas, and now your generosity. Thank you!

Barbara

(in reply to Janice)
Post #: 19
RE: Ode to Joy dress - 1/5/2018 8:41:54 PM   
Janice

Aw, shucks, Barbara! Thanks for your very kind words. I get more from this forum than I give. I'm grateful for the ideas and inspiration so freely given here.

Janice

Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Smocking >> Ode to Joy dress Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy