Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Zipper Repair Instructions Needed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> Zipper Repair Instructions Needed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Zipper Repair Instructions Needed - 1/3/2018 3:48:30 PM   
NormaK

My favorite denim skirt has a problem. The invisible zipper sprung a leak on New Year's Eve, and separated from the bottom up. It is in the side seam. I was able to zip it down and back up again, and it behaved itself for the rest of the time we were at our friends' house, but now I have to figure out a permanent fix. It begins to separate at the bottom of the zipper placket. The fabric is a stretch denim, and, I admit, the skirt has become somewhat snug the last few years. However, I did a very good job making it, and I can't imagine how I would do a zipper replacement without a considerable amount of tearing the skirt apart (since installing the invisible zipper is done before the side seams).

I haven't done an internet search yet. I thought perhaps I can just shorten the zipper a little, if I can get it to zip. However, I need every bit of opening in order to get in and out of the garment.
Post #: 1
RE: Zipper Repair Instructions Needed - 1/4/2018 4:34:45 PM   
caaguirre

I haven't used an invisible zipper in a while but I just shortened a regular zipper by stitching across the teeth at the point just above where I wanted to cut it to the proper length for my project. Couldn't this be done on your zipper leaving it as long as possible for ease of wear? I stitched in place using a wide zig zag as if I were sewing a button on by machine. If this works, it would certainly be better than having to completely replace the zipper, one of my least favorite repairs and maybe yours too.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to NormaK)
Post #: 2
RE: Zipper Repair Instructions Needed - 1/4/2018 10:03:02 PM   
NormaK

Carol,

Thank you, Carol, for your encouragement.

It wouldn't hold or stay shut for me at all. And I also really needed every single inch to get in and out of the skirt. HOWEVER, my husband was able to unzip and zip it with sufficient accuracy and strength, that now it got aligned and seems to work fine. I shall do a little additional hand bar tack at the bottom to encourage it to stay in place.

It was rather a shock when it came unzipped at my friend's house while I was wearing it, but fortunately I was wearing my tops untucked and I realized what happened and was able to discretely deal with the problem temporarily!

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 3
RE: Zipper Repair Instructions Needed - 1/5/2018 9:17:37 PM   
caaguirre

Glad he could fix it for you, I think the zipper is the weakest link in any project. I had a fly zipper pop in a pair of pants one day at work but also had the untucked top that kind of covered it. Replaced it and have replaced more pants and jacket zippers for my family than I can count. Ugh!!!

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to NormaK)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> Zipper Repair Instructions Needed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy