Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

STUFFIE

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> STUFFIE Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
STUFFIE - 1/9/2018 1:48:59 PM   
Penny Hal

My stuffie

Penny
Post #: 1
RE: STUFFIE - 1/9/2018 1:51:18 PM   
Penny Hal

Ok. That didn't work. Made my first stuffie. I definitely will need to have a stuffie party to help out. Took a lot longer than I expected. The stitchout was a snap, but removing stabilizer, trimming, turning stuffing, closing took a long time.

Penny

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 2
RE: STUFFIE - 1/9/2018 4:20:17 PM   
Linda S.

Probably a dumb question, but what is a "stuffie"? I thought surely it was a typo. Now
you've got my curiosity going LOL!

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 3
RE: STUFFIE - 1/10/2018 12:55:34 PM   
Penny Hal

They are just small stuffed toys that are done in-the-hoop. You can stitch them in different shapes. Some call them Softies. You can search for stuffies to see exampes since I can't figure out how to put a photo on here. Used to be able to, but now that I can't use PhotoBucket I have to figure out a new way to do that. I didn't know that they were called this either at first. Then I had a hard time telling felties from stuffies! Live and learn I guess.

Here's a link to the one I'm making. Instead of a bow tie, I'm putting a heart on its tummy.

http://www.mommamcdesigns.com/Item_198/-398-Teddy-Bear-Softie.htm

Penny

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 4
RE: STUFFIE - 1/10/2018 1:24:03 PM   
Linda S.

Penny these are just darling! And you've done such a good job making
them too. I love the heart too, but the tie is also very sweet. Thanks
for enlightening me as to the name : ).

Shirley would be able to help you with posting pictures...sorry, I don't know
how to do it either lol! On rare occasion I post links but that's the best I
can do. You could PM Shirley, or start a new post calling it to her
attention.

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 5
RE: STUFFIE - 1/10/2018 8:07:36 PM   
Belinda

Those bears are precious and I know the ones you stitched out are also!

Belinda in MS

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 6
RE: STUFFIE - 1/12/2018 10:39:48 AM   
vjm

Thanks for the link. I do not have little kids or grandkids so I never paid much attention to stuffed animals in the hoop. However, I did take a look and had fun viewing all the cute stuffed animal designs. I fell in love with the otter. Hope you can post pictures of the bears. I bet they are adorable.

VJM and her two Westies, Shayla and Chelsea

(in reply to Belinda)
Post #: 7
RE: STUFFIE - 1/12/2018 1:26:03 PM   
Penny Hal

I never paid attention to stuffies either until I heard the idea of making them for police/firemen to have around to give to scared kids.

Penny

(in reply to vjm)
Post #: 8
RE: STUFFIE - 1/12/2018 3:04:07 PM   
vjm

That is a nice idea and thoughtful gesture.

VJM and her two Westies, Shayla and Chelsea

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 9
RE: STUFFIE - 1/12/2018 3:13:45 PM   
aussie

That little bear is just adorable. Would be just the thing to put with a pair of sleepers for baby. Glad you mentioned that site. Cute stuff.

Carol NW Ohio

(in reply to vjm)
Post #: 10
RE: STUFFIE - 1/26/2018 3:19:30 PM   
tricia.heller

Penny, I though this little bear was so cute and I sew stuffies for pd and fire so I bit the dust and paid $10 for it. Just stitched it and am SO disappointed. I made the one for 8x8 hoop (200x200) and when I turned it right side out, most of the stitching of the back to the front came apart!! It evidently is not digitized well enough for turning it inside out. Am going to write to designer. Will try the very largest size but am SOOOO disappointed!!!

(in reply to aussie)
Post #: 11
RE: STUFFIE - 1/26/2018 8:12:16 PM   
tricia.heller

okay update. I wrote Ginger and boy did she reply fast!!!! It was mostly my error, I had trimmed too closely so I did the larger size and left a larger trimming edge. That problem fixed. The only other problem I had (and quite possibly/probably my error too) is when the design makes a 90 degree or more turn (at the neck and between the legs) I get a "pleat" effect. Covered the neck one up with ribbon and had use curly minkie for the circle on tummy so just pulled it down between legs!!! I did ask Ginger if there was so fix to this and will let you know if anyone is interested.

Tricia

(in reply to tricia.heller)
Post #: 12
RE: STUFFIE - 1/27/2018 12:39:31 PM   
Penny Hal

Good for you for sticking with it and getting the problems resolved!

Yes, those sharp angles can make a little pleat. I trim more closely in those areas... about an inch... on each side of the angle so that the remaining fabric doesn't get bunched up. I use fleece and the stitching holds up well even when I cut so closely to the thread. It never lies perfectly flat for me, but once I stuff them the wrinkle flattens out and puffs out so it no longer has a wrinkle there. I also use the same color thread as the fabric for the outlines. That way I don't see the stitching thread on the finished product.

I'm glad you got your problem solved and yes, I'd like to hear what she has to say.

Penny

Post #: 13
RE: STUFFIE - 1/28/2018 9:48:01 AM   
ShirleyCalgary

Most projects tell you to trim close but not cut the stitches on sharp angles like corners I cut straight across / to remove bulk it is also hard to serge inseam with sharp /\

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 14
RE: STUFFIE - 2/2/2018 12:04:07 PM   
Penny Hal

I cut straight into the V up to the threads. Then I carefully trim the sides of the V so that at the point area there is hardly any fabric. This makes it a lot easier to turn out. If I don't get it trimmed very well, the wrinkle that appears on the outside will be smoothed out when it gets stuffed. It is especcialy hard to get the area between the legs, but as long as I trim the execss fabric away it is fine. I use fleece so the stitches really hold the fabric.

Penny

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 15
RE: STUFFIE - 2/2/2018 1:04:55 PM   
tricia.heller

It looks like from the pic she sent me that she used "pinking shears" type of cut all of the way around. A large V cut all of the way around. Then cuts to the line of stitching between the legs on the teddy bear. She is so nice!!

Got the whale too, Best to use the largest size you can. BC getting the whale tale turned is really hard and stuffing is no easy job either. I ended up using a stitch ripper to stuff the tail!! It caught to poly fill and moved it easier. Ginger is no nice to correspond with and I hope she comes out with a lamb/sheep soon!

(in reply to Penny Hal)
Post #: 16
RE: STUFFIE - 2/2/2018 1:05:25 PM   
tricia.heller

BTW, does anyone have any other sites for Stuffies????

Post #: 17
RE: STUFFIE - 2/2/2018 6:46:24 PM   
gillie

http://mypetitefleurdesigns.com/shop/ http://www.ohanaappliquedesign.com/ The second one is having a sale just now, 40% off. No code it takes it off at checkout. I don't like the fact that so many of these sites have copyrighted material but some nice stuffies.

Gillie

Post #: 18
RE: STUFFIE - 2/4/2018 9:51:50 AM   
sewsusan

So cute! these would make great shower/baby gifts or they could be attached to a blanket for a "go to grandma's" outing.

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 19
RE: STUFFIE - 2/4/2018 2:12:12 PM   
Penny Hal

There are more out there, but did not appeal to me, especially if they could not be made entirely ITH.

STITCH DELIGHT teddy bears
http://www.stitchdelight.net/proddetail.asp?prod=DS0541

ETSY dog and cat
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BornToPunching?ref=l2-shopheader-name

ARTISTIC THREAD WORKS
https://artisticthreadworks.patternbyetsy.com/listing/452641830/fuzzy-friends-in-the-hoop-6-in-4x4-and-6

DOLLS AND DAY DREAMS
https://dollsanddaydreams.com/collections/embroidery-patterns/ith-stuffies

This is my favorite one
MOMMA MC SEARCH FOR STUFFIE AS SHE HAS MANY ANIMALS
\http://www.mommamcdesigns.com/Item_191/Elephant-Softie.htm

Penny

(in reply to sewsusan)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Embroidery >> STUFFIE Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy