Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Question for Aussie...Carol

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> Question for Aussie...Carol Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question for Aussie...Carol - 1/12/2018 9:09:51 PM   
Linda S.

Hi Carol,

I wasn't sure if you'd see this on the thread where we were talking about
bereavement gowns so I posted it here.

You mention using flannel for your gowns, and that sounds like a nice idea
to me too. May I ask which flannel you use? And where you purchase?
And what was the objection you heard from fathers about the gowns for
little boys? Did this have to do with using lace or overly frilly gowns?

This last one is for a little boy baby. And I'm hoping the pretty
fabric will make it nice enough. It's white cotton sateen with pastel blue
neck and sleeve binding. The front has narrow tucks and crosses hand
stitched with blue floss. Wish I could think of more to make it special but
it's harder for me to come up with ideas for little boys.

I posted about the solution to my Babylock machine not sewing in the
other thread, and a video showing why. Hope your machine is fixed
by now. Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: Question for Aussie...Carol - 1/12/2018 9:12:39 PM   
Linda S.

Oh...one more question, if you don't mind. I've never heard from a parent who has had
to use one of my gowns. And I don't know anything about that part. Do some parents like
to keep the gown? I have no idea. Some do bury their child in them, but then I've heard
from a nurse that some don't have funerals for ones so small.

This is such a sad thing to talk about, and I appreciate your input very much.

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 2
RE: Question for Aussie...Carol - 1/13/2018 10:14:24 AM   
aussie

Fathers complained of the frills on boy babies. I heard this from southern and northern Ohio areas. One group in NW Ohio is making gowns from wedding gowns and they were told to make them more boyish. Would you believe someone put dark brown large rick rack on the gown. Bet that one ended in the trash. Ugliest thing I ever heard of. I saw one preemie group that asked for duplicate items, one that goes with the baby and one stays with the mother. Don't know how many do that type of thing. If you do a web search for preemie burial organizations, you will find many and just look through their requirements. You don't want to go through a lot of work and then it isn't what they want. I have not made any from flannel myself but if I had to buy flannel for that type of garment, it would definitely be a good flannel, not Joann's stuff. Those outfits take such a small amount, so paying a bit more per yard isn't going to break the bank. One group said any lavender, peach, or pinks and it is for a girl. So I think blues, green, yellow would be best to trim on a boy and the more delicate in color the better. I hear you about boy designs. I look and look for boy fabric for sleepers and it is impossible. Have given up, just buy plain colors and put an embroidery design or applique on them. Hope I answered you questions but again, take a look on the web and just gather information from these groups that deal with this issue.

Carol NW Ohio

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> Question for Aussie...Carol Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy