Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Sewing with our daughter!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Quilting >> Sewing with our daughter!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sewing with our daughter!! - 1/15/2018 3:33:20 PM   
KarenVA

Our newly pregnant daughter recently came to visit for a week. We've always wanted to sew together--and this trip we made it happen!! We spent HOURS having fun at the quilt store--and she picked some pretty fabric to make four mug rugs. She was intimidated by the thought of doing binding, but she wants to quilt!! So, I thought mug rugs would be a perfect way to practice all parts of quilting. We Best Pressed, and rotary cut, and 505 sprayed. Then she got to use my Bernina 830 (she sews on a Bernina 220 Activa)--and she fell in love with my machine!! We had so much fun--and she was surprised by how easy it is to do binding!!! LOL She finished one mug rug the night before she had to fly back home--but she is all set to finish the other three on her own. And, she has plans to make a baby quilt for the new baby due in May.

Attachment (1)

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

Post #: 1
RE: Sewing with our daughter!! - 1/15/2018 4:49:31 PM   
Grammie

Very pretty...the mug rug and the daughter! How special to have a daughter who wants to sew...I am envious!

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 5 to 25 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 14)! Mom to 5, ages 47 to 54!

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 2
RE: Sewing with our daughter!! - 1/16/2018 10:21:53 PM   
MoDo

How very fun!!

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 3
RE: Sewing with our daughter!! - 1/16/2018 10:29:53 PM   
caaguirre

Those times together had to be the best part of Christmas this year, I'm thrilled for you and for her. Her fabrics are fabulous and I think learning to bind will open up a whole new world of sewing for her. Congratulations on a new baby to each of you too.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 4
RE: Sewing with our daughter!! - 1/17/2018 10:03:34 AM   
Linda S.

How nice that you can have a hobby to share, and I think it's wonderful you're teaching
her how to sew! She really did a good job too! Looks like the beginning of someone's
love affair with sewing...... Sew happy for both of you : ).

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 5
RE: Sewing with our daughter!! - 1/17/2018 10:39:29 AM   
KarenVA

Thank you all for such kind remarks!!!

When Teresa was six years old, she wanted to learn how to sew for her dolls. She learned how to pick a pattern and fabric, cut out the pattern pieces, follow pattern instructions, and sew by hand. She did a good job--and her dolls were well-dressed! LOL Then, she used my Singer that Mom and Dad gave me for high school graduation--it only goes forward and backward, no fancy stitches. She got busy with other interests in high school (playing the flute and singing) and sewing fell by the wayside. :( Fast forward to her graduate school days and the sewing bug bit again. That's when we gave her a Bernina 220 Activa to celebrate her Master's Degree (she went on to earn her PhD in cognitive psych). She is an amazing bag maker!! And, her knit shawls are so intricate!! Now, she'd like to add quilting to her skills. Like all of you, I'm so happy that she is the next generation of sewists/quilters!! I would hate to have this creative skill die out!! I'm hoping our little grands will pick up the sewing bug, too!

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 6
RE: Sewing with our daughter!! - 2/5/2018 3:23:52 PM   
nlsummerlin

Nice! Love the fabrics and it is great you had the time together and congrats on your soon to be a grandma!

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Quilting >> Sewing with our daughter!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote