Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

I want to retire....

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Miscellaneous] >> Miscellaneous Chat >> I want to retire.... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I want to retire.... - 1/25/2018 8:34:36 AM   
cnagle957

But I am so afraid to actually do it.
Post #: 1
RE: I want to retire.... - 1/25/2018 9:36:38 AM   
Grammie

My own experience - best thing that ever happened! I loved my job and had a rough first year when I struggled to identify myself when I no longer had a "title". But that passed and now I've been retired for 20 years and have loved all aspects of it. Of course, financial stability is important but I found I didn't miss my salary as much as I thought I would - I purchased fewer clothes, far fewer pairs of pantyhose (remember those? - my granddaughters have NEVER worn them!), and spent less on meals "out".

I'm interested in the experiences of others...

< Message edited by Grammie -- 1/25/2018 9:37:55 AM >

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 5 to 25 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 14)! Mom to 5, ages 47 to 54!

(in reply to cnagle957)
Post #: 2
RE: I want to retire.... - 1/25/2018 4:16:49 PM   
caaguirre

I was forced to retire due to health concerns but since I'm a natural born homebody anyway, I'm much happier and a nicer person since I don't have to have such a thick skin to deal with some of the nonsense in the business world anymore. I do wish I had saved more money but I've adjusted my spending accordingly and God continually provides for me. Lynn retired a short time ago maybe she'll chime in with her experience.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 3
RE: I want to retire.... - 1/25/2018 4:38:42 PM   
SewLynn

I retired 2 1/2 years ago because I could not stand what my job had evolved into after the company I worked for was bought out by a global corporation. Once I had Medicare for insurance, I was gone. I retired on my birthday. I had to supplement my income some in the beginning, but after moving some investments around, with my social security, annuities and pensions I am able to enjoy life - maybe not on a grand scale, but I'm okay. I enjoy a fairly active social life, sewing, painting, drawing and relaxing! I also have time to do the physical therapy that makes me more comfortable physically. If I have a regret, it would be not waiting six months when I MIGHT have been phased out with a benefit package, but ... it would not have been enough, honestly, to put up with that place another 6 months.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 4
RE: I want to retire.... - 1/26/2018 11:21:01 AM   
DDinDFW

I am waiting impatiently until I am able to retire. My financial advisor is my same age and asked me last year when I wanted to retire. I told her 52. She looked confused - I was already 59. I explained that was when I wanted to retire but could never work it out. We both got a good laugh out of it. I'll probably have to wait until I receive full SS... if it is still solvent at that time.

Dana, mom of two young men

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 5
RE: I want to retire.... - 2/2/2018 6:05:07 AM   
kathyk

I just retired last week. I was planning on working a few more years but my hospital offered a buyout package for people over 55 with a better package for those of us over 62 and I took it. Everyone was suppose to leave 7/14/17 but few of us were asked to extend because of the difficulty in replacing our specific position. I finally said it was time as I had planned and paid for a vacation 2 years ago and I leave next week. I probably won't be able to do this type of vacation again but what away to celebrate retirement. I admit to having financial concerns for the future but I am still able bodied and can work again. I would love to do some type of needlework retreat, I so miss lace camp with Martha and Beverly Sheldrick and all the other excellent teachers and staff.

(in reply to DDinDFW)
Post #: 6
RE: I want to retire.... - 2/2/2018 6:53:30 PM   
rh

I am newly retired for 1 month now. I have been sleeping a lot resting up. I love being retired. There is no rat race amymore or putting up with the nonsense of the whining people. I miss some people i worked with. Some people i thought were my friends didn't even say goodbye to me when i left even after I told them I would miss them and nice working with them. Boy that hurt.
I sat there and listened to them whine for years about their jobs or their family with no regard from them to the heartache I was having in my own life.
So glad i don't have to deal with them any more. I waited to retire when i could collect full social security. With my pension and social security I am getting the same amount of money being retired as I would be making if I was working. I wish I would have retired 6 months sooner when I was officially able to retire. I hung in there til the end of 2017. I am now doing a thorough house cleaning and purging lots of things that I was saving to do when I retired. Turns out I am not that interested anymore of what I was interested in doing years ago. My advice is to retire asap. Life is too short to keep working. You will never save enough to be comfortable anyways. I told myself that I am not going to be any wealthier next year either.

(in reply to kathyk)
Post #: 7
RE: I want to retire.... - 2/3/2018 4:33:03 PM   
Bonita

I started drawing SS in August of 2017 at the age of 62. I am a registered nurse that has worked in Long Term Care for over 25 years, so stayed on with the facility on a per diem status.
It is real nice to be able to say when I want to work and I have no problem saying "NO". I love it!! Yes, I have to watch my spending a little closer, but I have a fabric stash and all the notions
and sewing machines I need. I do have a bucket list --- travel, quilt retreats, sewing seminars, and currently completing one of the bucket items- Martha Pullen University Serger Class.

I took SS at 62 because too many people I know have never lived long enough to take their SS as they were waiting until they had reached their full retirement age. Yes, you are limited on how
much you can make if you are still working until you reach your retirement age but $17,000 is a pretty good amount plus SS.

Yes, I am loving semi-retirement.

Bonita

(in reply to rh)
Post #: 8
RE: I want to retire.... - 2/4/2018 4:13:58 PM   
tricia.heller

I was working four days a week and realized that if I could work 2 days a week (making under the limit) and draw SS, I would end up making MORE money!! I presented it to my boss and he asked my why I was working 4 days. Told him he would have "to go along" with my working 2 days. He said go for it and I did!! Of course, not long after that my Mom went on home hospice and when she passed my Dad went on home hospice so I retired completely and took care of him. So my retirement was a gradual process

(in reply to Bonita)
Post #: 9
RE: I want to retire.... - 2/6/2018 12:22:45 PM   
cnagle957

I want to thank you all so much for sharing your experiences.

I have been thinking about this ... every single day. I am now coming to a decision that I will set a date for next year and give my brain a break.
The constant thoughts I have revolve around that I lost my Mom at 62 and my brother at 64 so the clock may be ticking for me as well.
I know, don't go looking for troubles. I no longer enjoy work, no that's not true, lately I truly despise my job that I see changing
on a regular basis and not for the better.

I am not a shopper (except for sewing supplies!) and don't go out. I'm a self-made hermit. I know that I will be able to keep myself busy with sewing projects.

I'll have to look at things a little more closely as to covering expenses, but I am ready.

Thanks,
Chris

(in reply to tricia.heller)
Post #: 10
RE: I want to retire.... - 2/6/2018 11:04:18 PM   
NormaK

May the Lord give you wisdom, Chris, and bless you.

(in reply to cnagle957)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Miscellaneous] >> Miscellaneous Chat >> I want to retire.... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy