Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

collar question

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Children's Construction >> collar question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
collar question - 1/27/2018 11:55:11 AM   
Lucinda007

OK ladies who sew...I am ready to attach the collar to the Cherry Dress. The instructions say to just sew it on with no facing or binding. I think this pattern is for someone who already knows a lot about construction. I have never just sewn on a collar and then turned it to the inside, under-stitched it, and then tacked it down. The pattern didn't say that, but there were no other instructions. I like a well turned Peter Pan collar that doesn't look like the Flying Nun. I like them to lay nicely. I found directions in my A-Z Sewing for Smockers that says for a nice roll to the collar to push up the under collar about 1/8" and then sew both under collar and upper collar onto the neckline. (see link). I'm have a little trouble doing this. I was wondering if any of you have sewn on a collar in this manner. The instructions are in the link below. I am going to use a bias binding and "face the seam as I don't want a raw edge or a serged edge around the neckline. I know, I'm sort of being a nut about this dress, but if it works out, I might make another one.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4611/25058730327_3eae3a9bb9_m.jpg
Post #: 1
RE: collar question - 1/27/2018 12:06:58 PM   
Lucinda007

I think you can read this better than the last photo.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36301652@N07/26057811708/in/dateposted-public/

(in reply to Lucinda007)
Post #: 2
RE: collar question - 1/27/2018 7:26:30 PM   
caaguirre

http://www.childrenscornerpatterns.com/faq?_=1517102429& Hi Lucinda, this link will take you to the FAQ page at Children's Corner where they give a phone number to call for help with their patterns. This is CC Grace isn't it? I haven't made a collar with this undercollar adjustment myself but I've seen lots of instructions calling for this technique to get a nice roll at the collar. I can't imagine attaching a collar with no facing or binding so that's what I would call them about.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to Lucinda007)
Post #: 3
RE: collar question - 1/28/2018 6:55:43 AM   
Lucinda007

Thanks for all of your help...again!! Long story short is that I did buy 2 Grace patterns on eBay but found another online by Laurie Anderson of Brer Rabbit designs. It’s the Cherry Dress with a Front opening; its featured in the SB magazine summer of 2014. I contacted Laurie about how she set the pleats and she quickly responded. I am selling the Grace patterns on eBay since I don’t need them (1 sold already) As far as the collar goes, I’m going to follow the directions from the Grace pattern and sew it on with a bias band. Ok. A long story stayed long. I will post a photo if I ever get this finished. Thank you again for all of your help and suggestions. The collar is piped and ready to sew on. Then, on to the banded, cuffed puffed sleeves. Surely, I can figure that out!

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Children's Construction >> collar question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote