Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

What is your opinion of the Rajah Cloth?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> What is your opinion of the Rajah Cloth? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What is your opinion of the Rajah Cloth? - 2/8/2018 11:09:36 AM   
Lucinda007

Hi,

I'm making a girl's dress that has knife edge pleats. I bought a Rajah pressing cloth from Amazon (Sullivan's rajah cloth). I am not that impressed with it. Has anyone else used this cloth and had good luck. I think I am using it correctly. The fabric is Spechtler/Vogel poly/cotton that is a high quality. Maybe I need to use another brand.
Post #: 1
RE: What is your opinion of the Rajah Cloth? - 2/8/2018 6:34:49 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

Did you know? You can put creases into fabric with vinegar, and you take them out with vinegar, too.

1) Mix a solution of 1 part vinegar to 9 parts water . . . in other words, in a good-sized spray bottle pour 1/4 cup white vinegar, then add 2-1/4 cups tap water.
2) Make a pressing cloth from white or off-white, medium-weight, plain-weave fabric (such as poplin). Because you are dealing with a long cut of (probably) wide fabric, cut your pressing cloth so that it is the width of your fabric (folded in half) and the depth of your ironing board.
3) Lay your folded fabric on the board. On a separate surface, spray the entire pressing cloth with vinegar solution -- don't soak it, but make sure that dampness is uniform over the entire surface. Now lay the pressing cloth over the fabric (but not on the fold because you don't want to press a crease into the fold!), and press over the whole until all dampness has been steamed out of the pressing cloth. You can use as high a heat as you like because the iron is in contact with the cotton pressing cloth only.
4) Allow a minute for the steam to dissipate and the fabric to cool a bit, then peel off the pressing cloth, and voila! -- dress fabric that is smooth as a baby's bottom (though you may have to repeat the process on the folded-under half of the fabric).
5) Continue laying, spraying, and ironing the entire length of the cut (and on the reverse side if necessary). Finally, lay the center, un-ironed portion of the fabric along the length of the board and de-wrinkle it as well.
This probably won't restore the original luster of your fabric, but it will remove all of those undesirable crinkles. And no, your fabric will NOT smell like a tossed salad.
And yes, you CAN iron water & vinegar onto silk and it will not spot -- test a small sample first to reassure yourself, I've done this successfully with silk taffeta, making yards & yards of knife pleats. Using a pressing cloth further ensures that no waterdrop marks can form because there were no drops.

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to Lucinda007)
Post #: 2
RE: What is your opinion of the Rajah Cloth? - 2/8/2018 7:04:15 PM   
Lucinda007

Shirley, this is great. I have another question. After I wash the dress, will all of the pleats come in- pleated?

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 3
RE: What is your opinion of the Rajah Cloth? - 2/9/2018 7:45:41 AM   
gillie

Part of the problem may be the type of fabric. Cotton or wool would hold pleats better. The nature of poly cotton is to relax and go back to its natural state. It is made for little ironing.

Gillie

(in reply to Lucinda007)
Post #: 4
RE: What is your opinion of the Rajah Cloth? - 2/9/2018 8:27:41 AM   
Lucinda007

Hi Gillie,
Yes, I thought about that. I didn’t want to use 100% cotton on a kids dress that would get totally wrinkled after one trip to church. Lol. So, now I’m fighting pleats! I’m not finished with the dress yet. A couple more finishing touches. I think I’m going to cross my fingers and not worry if the pleats come out after washing. They look good now. I will suggest they take it to the dry cleaners. It is a copy of the Cherry Dress for a special occasion.

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 5
RE: What is your opinion of the Rajah Cloth? - 2/9/2018 12:47:37 PM   
rh

You are supposed to spray the Raja cloth with water as you are ironing pleats. The water and heat release a chemical that makes the pleats permanent. I have that cloth and love it.

(in reply to Lucinda007)
Post #: 6
RE: What is your opinion of the Rajah Cloth? - 2/9/2018 5:32:47 PM   
caaguirre

You could always topstitch the pleats very close to the fold, that will make them permanent.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to rh)
Post #: 7
RE: What is your opinion of the Rajah Cloth? - 2/10/2018 6:33:22 AM   
Linda S.

The problem is probably due to the polyester in your fabric not wanting to make sharp pleats.
Your fabric sounds very nice but maybe it's just not the best choice for pleats?

This is the first I've heard of a Raja cloth...I'll have to look that up and see what it's about.

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Machine Sewing >> What is your opinion of the Rajah Cloth? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy