Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

lace insertion yoke

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Children's Construction >> lace insertion yoke Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
lace insertion yoke - 2/21/2018 11:14:38 AM   
mmontz

I am making my granddaughter a Easter dress with a yoke made from lace insertion. I have look at several dresses with the lace yoke and they are joined at the shoulders with a triangle of the dress material with the lace over it. I am stuck as to how to cut this piece out. Any help would be appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: lace insertion yoke - 2/21/2018 8:36:04 PM   
Linda S.

I'm so sorry this question went unanswered for so long. And welcome to the forum!

Could you please ask your question another way? I'm trying to picture what's going on
with your lace yoke. I don't think I've ever seen a dress with a lace yoke that has a
"triangle of dress fabric" at the shoulder. Unless I'm not understanding right.

What is the fabric on the back, where you are joining your lace front to? If it is
dress fabric in the back yoke, that should sturdy it up enough. You could also
sew your lace insertion to a light fabric, and not cut it away, to make your yoke'
stronger. Is this what you're trying to accomplish?

Hope someone else will chime in soon.

(in reply to mmontz)
Post #: 2
RE: lace insertion yoke - 2/22/2018 2:12:25 PM   
mmontz

The lace is run horizontal on the yoke and stops and the beginning of the neck. The material fills in the shoulder. I am going to try to up load pictures. I know I am not explaining very well.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 3
RE: lace insertion yoke - 2/22/2018 2:13:20 PM   
mmontz

this is another picture of the shoulder.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 4
RE: lace insertion yoke - 2/22/2018 2:15:20 PM   
mmontz

this is a picture how the lace yoke front is joined to the lace yoke back at the shoulder.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 5
RE: lace insertion yoke - 2/22/2018 4:14:59 PM   
Linda S.

What a gorgeous dress! It looks like it's already sewn together....no?

I can't understand the question, but I bet others here will know what you're asking.
I've not made this particular dress, so maybe that's why I don't see it. Hope someone
else chimes in soon!

(in reply to mmontz)
Post #: 6
RE: lace insertion yoke - 2/22/2018 4:25:06 PM   
tricia.heller

Such a beautiful dress. Looks wonderful to me! Must admit, don't think I've ever seen the lace going horizontal before but is very eye catching. You did a great job!

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 7
RE: lace insertion yoke - 2/22/2018 7:08:54 PM   
DDinDFW

Very pretty. Obviously, entredeaux joins the triangle of fabric to the various laces. I'm not sure I understand, but are you trying to draft your own pattern to sew this dress?

Dana, mom of two young men

(in reply to tricia.heller)
Post #: 8
RE: lace insertion yoke - 2/22/2018 7:25:54 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

I looked at the 2nd picture and had to rotate it to get a proper look - for sure insertion is used to anchor that triangle... I can see why you need the fabric triangle because otherwise you would end up tapering the lace both sides to the shoulder seam.
I will post your rotated picture in case someone else has any ideas.

Attachment (1)

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to DDinDFW)
Post #: 9
RE: lace insertion yoke - 2/22/2018 9:18:03 PM   
sewbluetiful

What is throwing me is, since you have a picture of it,, I was assuming you had it made,, I am guessing though that this is a pic of a ready made dress, and you are wanting to know how to do this,,,

DISCLAIMER TO LADIES ON THE BOARD,,, I am going to try to explain what I would at least try to do ladies,,, I am probably lacking in some steps,, but its a start,, please add or change any info that you think is needed...

I would take the front and back bodice and pin the seam allowance,, then lay that out flat, make another pattern,, , and draw a triangle in pencil on the pattern of where and how big you want the triangle,, add seam allowances,, and cut,,, next,, sew your laces together, place the lace piece on the material and where you traced the pencil marks,, cut it to those marks,,, but keep the piece with the pencil marks,, that will be your pattern for the material... now you will probably want to do a roll-and-whip stitch on the material,, so some of the seam allowance will be cut off..

Mickie

http://sew-something.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/mickiea/boards/

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 10
RE: lace insertion yoke - 2/22/2018 9:31:19 PM   
caaguirre

It looks like they inserted a gusset instead of using a regular shoulder seam. I think you can draft the gusset by overlapping your yoke patterns front and back at the shoulder seam so the shoulder seam allowance disappears and then drawing a gusset piece in that area. Add seam allowances to allow you to sew it to the entredeux on both sides but keeping the original neck seam allowance. If you haven't already made the insertion yoke you probably won't have to fiddle with the gusset size much. I hope this is at least somewhat clear, it's easier to show how to do it than tell how to do it.

Ha, Mickie. We must have been typing at the same time.

< Message edited by caaguirre -- 2/22/2018 9:33:10 PM >

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 11
RE: lace insertion yoke - 2/23/2018 7:21:15 AM   
mmontz

Thanks so much for your help!
The pictures are from a dress a friend of mine had made. It is a beautiful dress.
I am going to try drafting a gusset as was suggested. Wish me luck!

I am so glad I found this forum!

Michelle

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 12
RE: lace insertion yoke - 2/23/2018 2:14:53 PM   
caaguirre

We're glad to see you here, hope this works out for you because I really like that gusset detail.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to mmontz)
Post #: 13
RE: lace insertion yoke - 3/7/2018 5:19:26 AM   
KathyD

The dress that you have pictured is made from Sarah Howard Stone's "Bijoux" pattern. It's a beautiful dress. I hope you've had luck making something similar.

KathyD
http://sewing-adventures.com

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Children's Construction >> lace insertion yoke Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy