Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

Can't find white sew-on snaps.. can I paint metallic?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Children's Construction >> Can't find white sew-on snaps.. can I paint metallic? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can't find white sew-on snaps.. can I paint metallic? - 2/24/2018 10:42:42 AM   
Lucinda007

Hi Ladies,

I'm finishing up the cherry dress. The dress is going to be closed by (5) 1/2" snaps. I can't find white (go figure). I don't want to cover them with fabric. I was wondering if anyone has had luck painting snaps. They are the sew on type. I can only find bright gold and nickel in the size I want (plastic might be an option, but I can't find them in that larger size). I would prefer white. I have seen something called diaper snaps that are white, but I don't know if those would hold well enough. I have become obsessed.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions. BTW, Carol, the cherries are pretty good or maybe I have just decided that they are good enough..lol
Ill try to post a photo after I am finished...hopefully, this weekend. I want to get this project out of my sewing room.
Post #: 1
RE: Can't find white sew-on snaps.. can I paint metallic? - 2/24/2018 4:03:32 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

What about sew on snaps would those work???they come in almost opaque and white and black...

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to Lucinda007)
Post #: 2
RE: Can't find white sew-on snaps.. can I paint metallic? - 2/24/2018 7:59:25 PM   
Lucinda007

Hi Shirley,

Yes, I am looking for white sew-on snaps. I have seen the clear plastic ones, but they are sort of hard to open once they are snapped. Actually, I did a small plastic one at the top closing under the collar. I am not using buttons on this front closing dress. I want to use snaps 1/2". I am going to try and figure out how to cover the sew-on snaps (silver) that I bought at Joannes today. Thanks for responding. Jane

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 3
RE: Can't find white sew-on snaps.. can I paint metallic? - 2/24/2018 7:59:27 PM   
gillie

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pairs-20mm-Round-Metal-Snap-Closure-Fastener-Clothes-Coat-Sewing-Button-/362192535905 Found these in a search.

Gillie

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 4
RE: Can't find white sew-on snaps.. can I paint metallic? - 2/24/2018 8:05:19 PM   
Lucinda007

woopie! I just ordered 10 in pink and 10 in white. The big problem is that they don't come before Easter. Well, maybe they will. In the meantime, I am still going to try and cover the silver snaps from Joanne. I wish I had found these when I looked at eBay. Thanks for looking and finding. Ill let you know when they arrive. Jane

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 5
RE: Can't find white sew-on snaps.. can I paint metallic? - 2/24/2018 8:10:40 PM   
gillie

I hope they come quickly. Thinks seem to be arriving quicker from overseas than the next town.

Gillie

(in reply to Lucinda007)
Post #: 6
RE: Can't find white sew-on snaps.. can I paint metallic? - 2/24/2018 8:55:44 PM   
caaguirre

Glad you got those cherries the way you want them. Please, please, please post a photo of your dress when you can. I know you've already gotten what you need, but look at these snaps for future projects https://kamsnaps.com/ Has anyone used these yet? I've only bought from Snap Source in the past.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 7
RE: Can't find white sew-on snaps.. can I paint metallic? - 2/24/2018 9:30:38 PM   
Lucinda007

Hi Again,

Those KAM snaps are cute, but I need sew-on. I tried making fabric covers for the snaps I bought today..NOT... They looked great, but really didn't hold the "snap". I am going to cross my fingers and hope that the ones coming from China get here sooner than expected. We are leaving for California to visit our son and dil on March 16 and don't return until the 29th. Too late for Easter (April 1) so I doubt that I am going to get the snaps in time. I guess I will just have to sew in the silver ones.. boo hoo. I don't like that look after putting soooo much time and thought into this little dress. Oh well. Thanks again for all of your help with the cherry patterns and the knife edge pleats and the collar. I have lots and lots of tips for anyone interested in making the dress. I will post them if anyone wants after I finish and take photos. Jane

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 8
RE: Can't find white sew-on snaps.. can I paint metallic? - 2/25/2018 7:33:07 AM   
KarenVA

I use Snap Source snaps all the time--they really "hold their snap" and they look nice, too! They aren't sew in, but I like them better.

https://www.snapsource.com/

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to Lucinda007)
Post #: 9
RE: Can't find white sew-on snaps.. can I paint metallic? - 2/25/2018 2:04:39 PM   
Lucinda007

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the snap info. I wish I didn’t have to use the sew-on but I do because the dress is a front closure with embroidery down the front facing. I have to “hide” the snaps. I went ahead and used the nickel ones that I don’t like but the time was drawing close to when I had to send this. Btw, I’m in VA too. We live in Springfield. Any chance you live close by?

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 10
RE: Can't find white sew-on snaps.. can I paint metallic? - 2/25/2018 4:33:55 PM   
KarenVA

I'm further south. Did you go to the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival was this weekend in Hampton? It was amazing!!

< Message edited by KarenVA -- 2/25/2018 4:34:19 PM >

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to Lucinda007)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Children's Construction >> Can't find white sew-on snaps.. can I paint metallic? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy