Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

pleater wrinkles...HELP

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Smocking >> pleater wrinkles...HELP Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
pleater wrinkles...HELP - 2/25/2018 1:19:38 PM   
sbeyrau@aol.com

I purchased a Read Pleater and made 8 darling smocked dresses with zero problems...but...wait for it......now I am getting all kinds of wrinkles in my pleats. I don't think I am doing anything differently, but obviously I am. Help please what can cause this problem.
Post #: 1
RE: pleater wrinkles...HELP - 2/25/2018 1:20:25 PM   
sbeyrau@aol.com

sorry forgot to say thank you

(in reply to sbeyrau@aol.com)
Post #: 2
RE: pleater wrinkles...HELP - 2/25/2018 1:37:33 PM   
Grammie

That happens to me if I try to pleat polyester fabric or if I try to pleat too fast...could either of those be your problem?

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 5 to 25 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 14)! Mom to 5, ages 47 to 54!

Post #: 3
RE: pleater wrinkles...HELP - 2/25/2018 2:45:09 PM   
sbeyrau@aol.com

thank you for your comments but I do not think that is the problem. Am using Imperial batiste and broadcloth from Farmhouse Fabrics. And I try to go slow and careful.

My German Nana taught me to smock over 50 years ago. No machines, no gathers just dots. LOL I have 8 Gkids and 1 (girl) ggkid and another due in July.....hence the return to smocking. Right now throwing the pleater as hard as I can into a brick wall is a viable option. Screaming and several glass of wine are also on the to do list.

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 4
RE: pleater wrinkles...HELP - 2/25/2018 2:49:23 PM   
sbeyrau@aol.com

how do I change the sbeyrau@aol.com to read Sue......that is my name or Nanny

Post #: 5
RE: pleater wrinkles...HELP - 2/25/2018 5:03:58 PM   
sbeyrau@aol.com

I had a thought, could it be as simple as my first 3 or 4 needles need replacing? I did a bishop with french seams and it got totally jammed up. Thought I was going to have to cut it out and it broke 6 needles, what a mess. Won't do that again. Could it be the needles? The problem with wrinkles is at the far left side...the skirt side not the yolk side

Come on all you brilliant and experienced pleater operators someone must have an idea.......I know you are going to tell me that it is an operator error...LOL

Sue

Post #: 6
RE: pleater wrinkles...HELP - 2/25/2018 7:25:05 PM   
gillie

Have you ran some wax paper through the pleater? If you can, take all the needles out and check to see if any are bent. After you have run the wax paper through, check if the hole patterns are even. I would also starch the fabric.

Gillie

Post #: 7
RE: pleater wrinkles...HELP - 2/25/2018 7:25:26 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

iMPERIAL BATISTE AND BROADCLOTH - HAVE POLYSTER BLEND AND COTTON. You could try running a long sheet of waxed paper through your needles and see if that helps - I don't know how often you have to change the needles on a pleater - my husband bought me one as a gift quite a few years ago - the woman who served him sold him a thread box and a smocking board but not a single extra needle.... SAJ pleater... I could not believe no extra needles....
So maybe someone can junp in and say if 8 dresses the needles need changing especially where they were jamming... but I would try the waxed paper first....
When I learned to help my granny thread her knee press singer sewing machine I don't think that they changed the needles unless they broke... Since the needles on the pleaters are so expensive to replace I would try the waxed paper then pleat something like 100% cotton batiste or even a man's 16x16 hanky to see if it improves.

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

Post #: 8
RE: pleater wrinkles...HELP - 2/25/2018 7:29:18 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

OH and don't mess with your sign on or you wont be able to get back in.... leave it alone!!!!

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 9
RE: pleater wrinkles...HELP - 2/25/2018 8:51:27 PM   
caaguirre

You can add your real name to the end of your postings by going to "My Profile" at the top of this page and then adding your name and/or anything else you want to say in the Signature box. Then when you post check the "Add Signature" box right above the OK then check the OK box and it will be added.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 10
RE: pleater wrinkles...HELP - 2/26/2018 10:09:56 AM   
sbeyrau@aol.com

thanks to all of you.
I did check my needles and yes I ran the wax paper through it. I think I have read every article out there on the web. I have come to the conclusion that it is probably a PILOT error having to do with tension on the fabric. Not giving up just screaming a lot.
thanksCarol will go do that.

thanks to all,
Sue

(in reply to caaguirre)
Post #: 11
RE: pleater wrinkles...HELP - 2/26/2018 11:49:49 AM   
gillie

Just one more suggestion. I don't know where you are placing your needles. Try placing them either in the middle or a different end. Sometimes it helps with how you hold the fabric and the tension.

Gillie

Post #: 12
RE: pleater wrinkles...HELP - 3/4/2018 5:57:03 PM   
sbeyrau@aol.com

too all the great people who offered help and great suggestion....THANK YOU SO MUCH !!

The problem was really stupid pilot error...lol if you do not start the fabric straight then you have problems. I can not even blame it on wine.

thanks again to all
Sue

Sue

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 13
RE: pleater wrinkles...HELP - 3/4/2018 6:04:38 PM   
DDinDFW

LOL, Sue, sounds like something I would do. Glad you got it figured out.

Dana, mom of two young men

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Smocking >> pleater wrinkles...HELP Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll