Register  |  Login  |  My Profile  |  Inbox  |  My Notifications  |  Member List  |  Search  |  FAQ  |  Log Out

How do you store your laces???

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Patterns, Fabrics & Notions >> How do you store your laces??? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do you store your laces??? - 2/28/2018 5:14:58 PM   
MoDo

Ladies--Don't know if this topic has been covered before (don't remember ), but as I'm (finally) organizing my sewing room I'm finding my laces are just kind of tossed in a pile on a shelf . Not good! How do all y'all store your laces?? I was thinking maybe wrap them around the same boards that I wrap my fabric around, but is there a better way?? Help! TIA!!
Post #: 1
RE: How do you store your laces??? - 2/28/2018 5:42:32 PM   
Grammie

Yes, mine are wrapped around boards like my fabrics...with matching laces together on one board ( insertion and edging that matches, for example). I do have some laces that are not all that wonderful - I use them for odd projects and now I know better which laces to buy. All the boards are then in plastic bags and stacked in a drawer - away from light. I'll be interested in how others store lace...

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 5 to 25 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 15)! Mom to 5, ages 47 to 54!

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 2
RE: How do you store your laces??? - 3/1/2018 7:11:33 PM   
gillie

I don't think of my self as one who is too organized but I do have my special heirloom lace wrapped around cardboard and then in plastic bags. Other laces are mostly in plastic and then they are all in a large plastic container. Another container has my special ribbons and another has ready made piping and special rick rack. I have zippers and fold over elastic etc. in the boxes that Dole Fruit cups, 16 4 oz. cups come in. They are about the size of a shoe box but the lid is attached. I put a sticker on the side to tell me what is inside. They fit on some shelving in my laundry room so are easy to see what is in them. Whatever I am working on DH seems to have finished a box and it gets started on the latest craze. The last one is getting pieces of embroidery vinyl and flasher vinyl.

Gillie

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 3
RE: How do you store your laces??? - 3/2/2018 12:05:29 AM   
SewLynn

Wound around cardboard and in acid free boxes - NO plastic! Long term storage in plastic can cause cotton laces to deteriorate.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 4
RE: How do you store your laces??? - 3/2/2018 10:00:25 AM   
MoDo

Thank you, Ladies! Cardboard it is! 😀

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 5
RE: How do you store your laces??? - 3/2/2018 10:35:28 AM   
Grammie

Lynn...I didn't know that. Are plastic zip-lock bags a problem as well as "hard" plastic?

Grammie to 10 darlings, ages 5 to 25 years plus 1 step-darling (she is 15)! Mom to 5, ages 47 to 54!

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 6
RE: How do you store your laces??? - 3/2/2018 11:09:30 AM   
SewLynn

As far as I know, any kind of plastic wrapping is not good for trims or fabrics.

Member since 2001.

(in reply to Grammie)
Post #: 7
RE: How do you store your laces??? - 3/2/2018 12:03:54 PM   
ShirleyCalgary

I don't have a lot of laces it is not readily available here not the cotton type... but I have a strong innertube about size of paper towel but thicker stronger. I wrap the lace around that and pin the end same for ribbon that way there is no corners like from a flat board and then stored in drawer... you could also use those stands that are used for hanging newspaper or single expensive sheets of gift wrap - a DIY person could construct something with dowels and a frame with notches to suspend the dowels... whatever works for your space. Sometimes you have to think outside the box... I spent a summer knitting and crochet work and had frustration with the balls rolling off the table... then I found a couple of bathroom toilet paper dispensers that had a basket for magazine a long dowel at the back for extra rolls and a paper dispenser - voila put the pattern in the basket part put extra spools of crochet cotton on the back dowel and hung the current in use colour cone on the TP dispenser - it worked so well that while most of the year they are in my bathrooms which also have wall mount TP but when I am into crochet and want to sit out I grab one of my stands and I have been asked OMG where did you get your crochet thingy... one of my better ideas.

Shirley - Mom to Dickens (PuppyWuppy now known as Dicky Wicky)and Doyle (baby) and Baxter, Bella, Pistol, Cowboy, ChiChi at Rainbow Bridge
I sew on Janome 8000, 10001, 11000se, 12000, 350e, 300e, Janome 234d and Babylock Imagine

(in reply to SewLynn)
Post #: 8
RE: How do you store your laces??? - 3/12/2018 9:58:15 AM   
KarenVA

I printed some pretty designs on cardstock and wrapped my trims around them.

Attachment (1)

KarenVA

"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa

(in reply to ShirleyCalgary)
Post #: 9
RE: How do you store your laces??? - 3/12/2018 10:10:24 AM   
MoDo

Well, Karen--However I store my laces I will now know that it is nowhere near as nice as yours!

(in reply to KarenVA)
Post #: 10
RE: How do you store your laces??? - 3/12/2018 11:37:06 AM   
Linda S.

My laces are stored folded (or just in a loose pile) wrapped in acid free tissue paper and then
stored in large cardboard shoe boxes. I should be using acid free cardboard boxes, but the tissue
paper does protect them. I'd be careful about winding them right on cardboard that isn't acid free,
or storing in plastic boxes.

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 11
RE: How do you store your laces??? - 4/19/2018 11:07:31 AM   
kmroy

I have my laces wound around cardboard paper towel things covered with acid free paper.
Then I slide the holder onto a pants hanger that has about 4 or 5 places for pants to hang
on one hanger. I will try to attach a pic.

I look for these pants hangers at estate sales and I have about 10 of them now.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Linda S.)
Post #: 12
RE: How do you store your laces??? - 4/19/2018 1:43:01 PM   
MoDo

Well, Kathy, that is certainly something I've never thought of doing! Certainly looks nice. Do you have it somewhere that dust isn't a problem? (Or am I the only one who sews so slowly that dust becomes an issue ?)

(in reply to kmroy)
Post #: 13
RE: How do you store your laces??? - 4/19/2018 5:13:28 PM   
caaguirre

I use those pants hangers to store my serger thread cones and yes Modo dust is always an issue around here so I keep them in a closet.

Happy Sewing, Carol

(in reply to MoDo)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sewing] >> Patterns, Fabrics & Notions >> How do you store your laces??? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

© 2018 F+W All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy